Barack Obama | I'm Gay | Jason Collins | Michelle Obama | News | Sports

President Obama Called Jason Collins, Praised Him for Courage

Flotus_collins

President Obama called NBA center Jason Collins today after news broke that the pro basketball player had come out of the closet, the AP reports:

Obama told Collins he was impressed by his courage. That's according to a White House official who was not authorized to discuss the private conversation publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity. Earlier Monday, White House spokesman Jay Carney said Collins' decision was another example of progress and evolution in the U.S. as Americans grow more accepting of gay rights and same-sex marriage.

And First Lady Michelle Obama also offered her support via Twitter:

"So proud of you, Jason Collins! This is a huge step forward for our country. We’ve got your back! -mo"

Comments

1. moments like this are important: some kid(s) no doubt are at home today while their lousy parents parrot what that dunce on ESPN said.

so yeah - bigoted mom and dad and bigoted sportscaster can spew what they like: the President of the United States of America, a former Pres, and our glorious FLOTUS are on the right side, on "our" side.

until equality is the law of the land, don't discount the importance of their words. that a kid can know that despite the bigotry around them, there are people High Up who are on their side...well... that can be just what they need to make it through one more day.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 29, 2013 6:57:00 PM

2. Bravo! FLOTUS

Posted by: JONES | Apr 29, 2013 7:10:48 PM

3. Michelle Obama actually willingly calls herself FLOTUS?

Posted by: Mike C. | Apr 29, 2013 7:11:09 PM

4. @Little Kiwi, that answer could go to the guy from New Kids on the Block who didn't think it was anybody's business if he came out or not especially when "everyone" knew he was gay anyways.

On a side note, I find it ironic that Michelle Obama's tweet had her signature as "mo". I sort of reeled when I saw that until I realized it was her initials.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Apr 29, 2013 7:13:15 PM

5. Thank God she used specific punctuation, otherwise it'd be "we've got your back mo" LOL

Posted by: guest | Apr 29, 2013 7:24:19 PM

6. Yep, the coolest POTUS and FLOTUS to date.

Can anyone imagine Mitt or Ann Romney saying a single peep about this?

Posted by: Taxpayer | Apr 29, 2013 7:32:32 PM

7. @Mike C.
    Michelle Obama won't be the First Lady forever, it is an official White House account, hence the "-mo" signature for her personal tweets. I presume it will be used for the next FLOTUS, or perhaps a FHOTUS account will need to be set up. ;)

It warms the cockles of my heart to see such kind, compassionate and supportive sentiments being expressed by such wonderful people for the wonderfully brave Jason Collins. He deserves and needs all of the support he gets. This could be the watershed moment when a gay man won't be forced out of the major league sporting world for being honest about who he is.

Posted by: J. | Apr 29, 2013 7:34:41 PM

8. I <3 Michelle Obama.

Posted by: mike128 | Apr 29, 2013 8:38:35 PM

9. Now this is starting to get ridiculous. He didn't cure cancer

Posted by: aki | Apr 29, 2013 9:57:33 PM

10. Big tall gay African American basketball player --- line forms to the rear boys...

Posted by: JG | Apr 29, 2013 10:04:07 PM

11. We LOVE Michelle -- but had to laugh at ...."We’ve got your back! -mo"

We know she likes him, but did she have to call him "mo"?

Posted by: Bob | Apr 29, 2013 10:50:48 PM

12. @Bob, mo stands for Michelle Obama.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Apr 29, 2013 11:28:06 PM

13. Can this woman be ANY MORE amazing? Is it humanly possible?

I love her!!

Posted by: Kyle | Apr 30, 2013 1:08:01 AM

14. I'm a white gay kid from Tennessee but I swear in my mind, I tell myself the Obamas are my family and Michele and Barrack are my parents. Partially because I don't have the support of my own family, but also because they make me feel like I'm wanted and truly have a place at the dinner table.

THANK YOU OBAMA Family!

Posted by: Dustin | Apr 30, 2013 2:52:58 AM

15. I love them.

I love everything about them.

I love how well mannered their kids are.

I love how compassionate they are.

I even LOVE their adorable dog, BO.

Have we an LGBT ever been made to feel like we're truly part of this country? This is the first time where I feel like our countries first family actually embraces it's LGBT citizens as part of this nation. Overwhelmed.

Posted by: Ben | Apr 30, 2013 2:56:41 AM

16. Great steps forward, now make the calls to get enda passed

Posted by: rick scatorum | Apr 30, 2013 4:25:04 AM

17. Dustin, your parents may benefit from the American psychological association's faq's on sexual orientation: apa.org

Posted by: rick scatorum | Apr 30, 2013 4:44:20 AM

18. @Dustin
    They are your family Dustin. We all are.
    We're your family not by blood but by choice.
    I've always called it my 'nuclear family'.

Building a network of support for LBGT kids is THE most important part of this struggle.

Posted by: JONES | Apr 30, 2013 5:01:05 PM

19. LOL@ @"Bob, mo stands for Michelle Obama."

LOL...I'll call you a mo', Bob, with great affection...if you'll call me, mo' pretty. LOL

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 30, 2013 5:10:59 PM

20. President Obama Calls Jason Collins

President Obama calls Jason Collins expressing gratitude for, “coming out”,

But, did he ever call the parents whose daughter was punched in the mouth?

From a savage assault on an Army Base serving her country in war torn Iraq,

Michelle Obama made a comment to Collins, why not have LaVena’s back?

Army PFC LeVena Lynn Johnson is brutally murdered DOJ ruled it a suicide,

Cause of death, shot from a rifle too long for her to pull the trigger. Homicide!

Did her parents receive condolences from President Obama, not on your life,

And yet Barack said that, “he was impressed by his courage” likewise his wife.

Obviously, courage is not the word for LeVena as she fought hard to her death,

She was bewildered, confused, an enemy from within, depriving her last breath,

Ah ha, but LeVena has long been deceased so she can no longer vote, now I see,

Obama voiced support for same sex marriage to assure himself a second victory.

Collins, a 34 year-old journeyman, graduate of Stanford who plays in the NBA,

Jason has every right to announce whatever preference he should choose to say,

Backing him while in opposition to seek justice for LeVena, put in harms way,

Tough to swallow, as her killers roam free from July 19, 2005 to this very day.

Several politicians have applauded Collins’ decision and even ex-President Bill,

Offered a statement exalting his courage, not calling the Johnson’s is a bitter pill,

The powers that be offer praises in all forms congratulating those who come out,

Service women who suffer untold sexual abuse, barely a whisper, never a shout.

Posted by: Luke Easter | Apr 30, 2013 8:54:05 PM