News | Roger Ebert | Westboro Baptist Church

BigGayDeal.com

Westboro Baptist to Picket 'Fag Enabler' Roger Ebert's Funeral

Roger Ebert gets the merit badge of honor from the Westboro Baptist Church, according to the Hollywood Reporter:

EbertIn its news release, the group calls Ebert a "f-g enabler" and complains that he used his Twitter "to mock the faithful servants of God at Westboro Baptist Church."

On March 25, Ebert did in fact tweet a link to a Salon post that features an excerpt from a book by Jeff Chu titled Does Jesus Really Love Me?: A Gay Christian's Pilgrimage in Search of God in America. Chu, a gay man, spent a day at Westboro as part of his research.

Ebert tweeted the link twice, once with the message "Just another day at Westboro Baptist" and again with a similar message: "One more day at the Westboro Baptist church."

Westboro also calls Ebert a "fool sold his soul for some fame & fortune."

Comments

1. If you die and they DON'T plan to picket your funeral, it means you wasted your life. true story.

Ebert was one of the few mainstream critics to not simply dismiss films made by, for, featuring and/or geared towards "minority groups" - and his essays on film reveal not merely a profound knowledge of film theory and its application, but the human experience.

consider this the highest form of compliment, Mr. Ebert. when you anger the westboro's, you did the right thing. a spike lee joint.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 8, 2013 8:39:24 AM

2. These hillbilly homophobes are just star fuckers looking to steal someone else's hard-earned spotlight and camera.

Posted by: Richard | Apr 8, 2013 8:54:28 AM

3. This makes me love Roger Ebert even more than I already did. "Let me live my life in such a way as to have my funeral picketed by Westboro Baptist Church!" Indeed, Mr. Ebert... the "merit badge of honor".

Posted by: Jim Brown | Apr 8, 2013 8:55:57 AM

4. Roger Ebert was a better person than the Westboro inbreeds could ever hope to be. The fact that they plan on protesting his funeral proves that he lived the right way.

Posted by: Rich F. | Apr 8, 2013 9:10:01 AM

5. Of course Westboro just does this crap only for publicity and the press falls for it every time, hook, line and sinker. That said, I think Roger would have been extremely amused by this. The best thing everyone could do in this situation is just laugh at them. It's just ridiculous.

Posted by: Gerry | Apr 8, 2013 9:25:41 AM

6. Please Towleroad, don't report any more stories about this group of people being outrageously anti-gay just to get headlines. Your articles are the sole purpose they exist, and the articles are boring and predictable.

Posted by: Charles | Apr 8, 2013 9:33:44 AM

7. I second Charles.

Posted by: Zoltan | Apr 8, 2013 9:44:38 AM

8. The WBC is in for a fight!

Posted by: Gigi | Apr 8, 2013 10:11:43 AM

9. There was a facebook meme some time ago along the lines of "Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral. I think Ebert would be laughing his ass off at this story. I'm just sorry that we won't get the read the tweets he would have sent out about it.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Apr 8, 2013 10:21:28 AM

10. I imagine Robert would love this and have something both witty and insightful to say about it.

Posted by: jrem | Apr 8, 2013 10:36:52 AM

11. I am entirely and completely a "fag enabler".

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 8, 2013 11:01:03 AM

12. Looks like WBC needs attention again!

Posted by: Firestorm | Apr 8, 2013 11:49:19 AM

13. I agree with Charles. The only reason Westboro exists is to get attention. They know people hate them and they court that hate - why do you think they protest at funerals?!! Posting stories about them only helps them. Ignoring them takes away any power they might have. STOP POSTING ABOUT THEM!

Posted by: Aron | Apr 8, 2013 12:08:54 PM

14. Now, that's something to be proud of.

Posted by: Nirgal | Apr 8, 2013 12:09:12 PM

15. Who cares? Can we please stop even acknowledging this "church's" existence and start ignoring when they say they are going to picket something? It's seriously a waste of Towleroad's time to even write this up. They probably won't even show up and the fact that we give them even a modicum of recognition keeps them going.

Posted by: Blake | Apr 8, 2013 12:21:20 PM

16. Considering how Ebert sunk the chances for Brokeback Mountain to win the Oscar in favor of his screed movie Crash, he was hardly an enabler. He and Gene Siskle used to routinely denounce movies with gay content for being 'icky', like Making Love and Longtime Companion. He came around in recent years, but he was never an enabler.

Posted by: anon | Apr 8, 2013 2:09:16 PM

17. Ebert gave Longtime Companion 3 1/2 stars out of 4 and Making Love is a treacly icky film, groundbreaking attempt to portray gay love aside.

Anyone who's actually read his decades of film criticism knows that Ebert was pretty much the most progressive, inclusive, empathetic humanist in field of film criticism - a field dominated almost entirely by straight white men. Ebert was one of the few who recommended and gave enthusiastic reviews to films dismissed by other critics as fodder for "minorities"

so get that right.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 8, 2013 2:20:31 PM

18. @Gerry

I don't care if Westboro only does it for the publicity, and I don't care if the media falls for it every time.

WBC is repugnant and hateful. But I support their right to protest, and I actually am glad they do it. They wind up repelling far more people than they ever attract. Every time they stage a protest, we win.

Posted by: Clayton | Apr 8, 2013 2:27:24 PM