Comments

1. Randy says

Was in this store on my last trip to NYC and found the guys working there to be really rude. Was with someone I was dating and they were immediately attracted to him but completely ignored me. It’s up to them how they run their business but if someone had even said “hi” to me they probably could have made a sale. Instead they flocked around my BF and we both left pretty disgusted.

2. Jack says

It’s a silly video that’s cute to watch. However, that whole mid-90’s chelsea “thug” look was played back then and is overplayed today. I call it clown wear.

Think it’s a case of the designers being stuck in that period of their prime. Seems to be the case with most gay men as they age. They get stuck in that one look that worked at the peak of their hotness.

3. ratbastard says

This thing that now seems to be entrenched in our culture [not just the gay subculture] of guys needing to appear ‘hard’ with tons of tattoos to show off, ‘masculine’ clothing [i.e. wifebeaters,etc.,], swaggering around with pits, and just plain ‘attitude’, i.e. swag, is really getting on my effing nerves. I’m not just picking on these guys,either.

And some claim they’re rude at their store? This would surprise anyone? A gay clothing store based in Chelsea NYC where the staff have attitude and are rude? Call me jaded, no I’m not surprised. I’d be surprised if they weren’t.

4. Bollux says

It drives me crazy to be at a leather event or bar and see guys in these chaps.

5. John B. says

I’m really curious as to how men who inked themselves up all thru the 90’s and 2000’s are feeling as they age with these works? I’ve yet to come across a man in his 50’s+ who’s tats look sexy or hot…and I’m in my mid-40’s.

How do others feel?

6. John B. says

Bollux-

I agree. It’s the difference between wearing a plain t-shirt (sexy) and wearing a t-shirt with branding all over it (A&F, AE, etc..).

ha!

7. says

John B, while I’m 30, I think I can answer that.

How will my tattoos look when I’m in my 50s, 60s, 70s? the same way everything else on me is gonna look when i’m in my 50s, 60s, 70s.

if i live that long.

but hey, maybe we’re just insane crazy idiots who enjoy how we look in our “younger” years when we should apparently instead be ….uh….. concerned with how we’re going to look when we’re 50. or something.

8. MateoM says

My only issue with getting a tattoo when your young is whether you’ll still enjoy it by the time you’re 50. I wouldn’t want to end up like Homer Simpson and his “Starland Vocal Band” tattoo, you know? (look it up if you don’t get the reference). That being said, I dig sleeve tattoos. But that’s just me.

9. says

That was surprisingly unsexy and consistent! I really hate Nasty Pig, the shop people are totally rude and I find the clothing to be the WORST. Never tried the underwear so I’m sure it’s fine, underwear is really easy to make.

I keep vacillating between thinking pitbulls are cute/ugly.

10. FakeOutrage says

The funniest thing about these guys with their tatoos and pit bulls trying to appear masculine is that the VAST majority are QUEENS/SCREAMING bottoms when you get up close to them

11. chris says

Nasty Pig clothes used to seem cool, but they have gotten really bad. Not well designed at all. When I see guys wearing their stuff, they usually look pretty stupid.

12. DannyEastVillage says

I agree with a lot of the comments above and of course the indigenous rudeness of the inhabitants of Chelsea (and their wannabes) is legendary.

Nevertheless, the video was pretty funny.

As to the look, I’ve lived in the East Village since 1988 so can authoritatively say that almost every look featured in the video is a knockoff–no doubt an overpriced one–of stuff that have been the common street-look over here for decades.

But then, that’s been the case in the fashion industry for a very long time: come to the east village and see what the natives are wearing (not the bridge-and-tunnel slummers) and you’ll see those same looks in the big fashion houses in another–3-5 years.

13. DannyEastVillage says

The other thing I’d say about NP is that’s over-produced grunge.

14. greg says

If you don’t look good in your 50’s and 60’s it’s because you gave up. The reality is that lots of stuff about your body that you got for free with no effort when you’re younger requires diligence and effort – you have to eat well and get sleep and work out and not be stressed all the time.

So what do my tattoos look like on my mid-50’s body? Excellent.

And do I care what anyone else thinks about it? No in the slightest.

15. e says

I always found the name “Nasty Pig” to be super offensive. I know the term “pig” is thrown around a lot these days– but I hate the thought of my partner labeled like that (despite how good their jocks may fit him…) Will name have that name on my body, sorry.

16. boredwithcircuit says

The “BROMO” thing is so played out…from the oversized hats to the “I’m a Miami Heat Fan” tanks and the RIDICULOUS high-top sneakers that they “collect”, I think we’re all a little bored with these guys and their mean girl/elitist mentality. Truth be told, would you trust a pharmacist who is jacked up on steroids, snorting meth and guzzling GHB and air lifting from circuit party to circuit party…grow up, doucebags.

17. M says

I’m too OCD to enjoy a scene that involves someone tying up a dog in front of a shop. What moron does that? In real life, dogs that get loose like that run out into traffic and get smashed– I’ve seen it happen a couple of times already, once to a gorgeous little Boston Terrier.