Justin Bieber | Kid Rock | News | Taylor Swift

Justin Bieber Asks to Have His Craft Taken Seriously, Says He's Not a Gimmick, Gets Mocked: VIDEO

J_bieber

Justin Bieber asked to be taken seriously at the Billboard Music Awards, where he picked up the Milestone Award.

Said Bieber:

"From my heart, I really just want to say, it should really be about the music, it should be about the craft that I’m making. This is not a gimmick. I’m an artist, and I should be taken seriously, and all this other bull should not be spoken of.”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Taylor Swift had this to say backstage:

Tumblr_mn2urw2am51qfoj4do1_400

And Kid Rock had this to say about the night's acts:

Comments

1. Ok, I don't particularly care for Taylor Swift, but she just made me laugh out loud!

Posted by: Michael W. | May 20, 2013 10:07:16 AM

2. I hope young mister Bieber invested his $ wisely. He's aging out. And I can't see him having cross over appeal. His brand is too intimately associated with screaming tween girls.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 20, 2013 10:07:54 AM

3. No love from Kid Rock.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 20, 2013 10:11:40 AM

4. These are more mature thoughts and words by Justin Bieber, and I give him credit for that, but now he just has to start acting like a more mature adult to be taken more seriously. It is really up to him now.

Posted by: Jim Brown | May 20, 2013 10:12:39 AM

5. stuck up little b!tch...Taylor Swift is pretty obnoxious too.

Posted by: MikeSin | May 20, 2013 10:16:04 AM

6. ratbastard: wrong, the truth is his last album sell less but get a lot more love from radio (noone of his previous singles got top 10 on radio, but three singles of his last album did).
    The sound is less preteen. I thought he would be done long time ago, but the truth is he is doing the transition quite well.
    Of course, he is doing some crazy things lately so maybe his career will go downhill anyway, but i think he has some chances to make it (and that's a lot more than most teen stars have)

Posted by: jjose712 | May 20, 2013 10:17:39 AM

7. He's starting to look like Vanilla Ice.

Posted by: Merv | May 20, 2013 10:29:52 AM

8. I foresee the starring role in a production of "Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat" in Justin's future.

Hey, it worked for Donny Osmond for a second.

And is Taylor Swift 12 years old?

Posted by: Acronym Jim | May 20, 2013 10:32:31 AM

9. Wow, a few things:

1) He was booed when he was on stage and rightfully so.

2) At least Taylor Swift didn't lip synch. It was amazing, on Facebook, how people were complaining about everyone lip synching but were the first ones to slam anyone for their pitch/tone/etc when they sang live.

3) Oh, Bieber, you're so great yet you don't have the balls to come out the closet already.

4) Bieber winning so many awards proves what a joke the American music scene is.

Posted by: Michael | May 20, 2013 10:33:21 AM

10. Seriously, none of those nominees have done anything to qualify for an award honoring innovation in music. Really. American music has turned into total crap. @Michael is right.

Posted by: Jack M | May 20, 2013 10:38:45 AM

11. Taylor Swift is ALMOST as bad as he is, so she shouldn't have an opinion about this matter.

As we saw yesterday, both of them are HORRIBLE at their "craft", both can't sing, can't dance, and are horrible on stage.

Posted by: johnosahon | May 20, 2013 10:40:26 AM

12. I couldn't agree more with Michael's point number 4. If Bieber qualifies as a "musician" I'm done with music.

Posted by: Butch | May 20, 2013 10:47:00 AM

13. Could someone please explain to me why the rock snobs, hipsters and mainstream public hates young male pop stars so much but are completely ok with young female pop stars who sing exactly the same.

I personally thought Justin's performance of "Take You" was great.

P.S. You couldn't pay me to listen to Kid Rock so don't really care about his opinion.

Posted by: anna | May 20, 2013 11:03:29 AM

14. Did Taylor just finish an ice skating routine? WTF is she wearing?

Posted by: Jeff | May 20, 2013 11:06:33 AM

15. Bieber is quite right. His music is NOT a gimmick. Gimmicks don't have staying power, and bubblegum music has been around since the 60s.

He's fast approaching the point where he'll look like he has to shave every day. His fan base will disappear then like, well, like yesterday's Kool-Aid.

Posted by: jomicur | May 20, 2013 11:08:33 AM

16. The kiss between Bieber and Selena makes them seem more like supportive friends rather than lovers. Why kiss your lover on the cheek?

Posted by: anna | May 20, 2013 11:09:34 AM

17. Prerecorded music with voiceover is used by performers when they are dancing. Imagine singing while out for a jog. Justin also does acoustic albums/performances where he sings live.

Anyway, doesn't Kid Rock put half naked women in most of his videos. Why is that not considered a gimmick or marketing tool?

Posted by: anna | May 20, 2013 11:20:27 AM

18. Justin acts weird on tour and seems a bit mess. He needs a break, if he can take one (as a teenager pop idol). BUT he didn't select himself to get the award.
    Taylor's act is distasteful.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 20, 2013 11:25:16 AM

19. It looked like he was holding up his pants? Good gravy. I guess I am getting old, but seeing guys walk down the street with their pants around their ankles is frustrating. I know how Bieber makes his money, but what about other males dragging their jeans, with their boxers exposed?

Posted by: Steven | May 20, 2013 11:55:56 AM

20. I put more "craft" into my Internet forum comments then JB puts into his music. The music industry is forever trying to turn art into toothpaste that can be rolled off the assembly line and put into a pretty tube.

Posted by: anon | May 20, 2013 12:12:20 PM

21. whatawigger.

Posted by: mic | May 20, 2013 12:17:15 PM

22. He honored Jesus Christ by removing his $500 sunglasses. Too bad he didn't give a shout out the capuchin monkey torn away from its mother's arms, kept isolated from other monkeys in order to provide temporary amusement and then left abandoned in Germany.

Posted by: Dave | May 20, 2013 12:30:03 PM

23. Somebody rid us of this.

Posted by: David Hearne | May 20, 2013 12:32:53 PM

24. "Girl I'm gonna make your body rock"

LOL how, bring in your friends to show you how it's done?

Posted by: QJ201 | May 20, 2013 12:34:25 PM