Benedict Cumberbatch | Chris Pine | Conan O'Brien | JJ Abrams

JJ Abrams Reveals Benedict Cumberbatch Shower Scene Cut from 'Star Trek: Into Darkness': VIDEO

Cumberbatch

Facing charges of sexism over his objectification of women in the new Star Trek film Into Darkness, JJ Abrams appeared on Conan last night and argued that Chris Pine's shirtless body is shown off in the film. He also revealed a very wet, very nipply scene — that was cut — from the film, featuring its villain played by Benedict Cumberbatch.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Conan

Comments

1. Benadryl Cabbagepatch is one ugly yt man. He look like an alien that tried to shapeshift into a human but started buffering at, like, 85%.

Posted by: New New | May 23, 2013 11:40:35 AM

2. @ New New

yeah, I don't find him particularly attractive myself; however, I know SOO many people that find his look to be gorgeous. To each their own!

Posted by: Nat | May 23, 2013 12:12:52 PM

3. Benedict Cumberbatch is a sexy and amaaaazing actor. And yeah...he does kind of have these alien/reptile eyes. If you haven't watched him in "Sherlock"...do so. BTW: Andrew Scott plays Moriarty and has won every award out there, and for good reason.

Posted by: Donny with a "D" | May 23, 2013 12:22:19 PM

4. I don't find him traditionally handsome but he has a presence when you see him performing that is very compelling and appealing. I'd hit that.

Posted by: David | May 23, 2013 12:26:37 PM

5. I think Benedict Cumberbatch is attractive in an atypical, "unusual" way that I often find far preferable to rather generic male-model good looks. Many British actors seem to be that way. Cillian Murphy for example who, while more traditionally "good-looking" than Cumberbatch, has an unusual face and his pale eyes are almost disconcerting.

Posted by: Caliban | May 23, 2013 12:32:30 PM

6. I friend had to really twist my arm to watch Sherlock, but it is a fantastic program.

Posted by: Mikey | May 23, 2013 12:32:56 PM

7. Just how does bringing up a scene that you had cut from the movie do anything to make the case that you objectify men as much as women?

Posted by: anon | May 23, 2013 12:37:41 PM

8. So telling the world you cut the scene of a bare chested man but kept the one with a woman in a bra somehow doesn't prove your sexist??

Posted by: Michael | May 23, 2013 12:39:44 PM

9. So telling the world you cut the scene of a bare chested man but kept the one with a woman in a bra somehow doesn't prove your sexist??

Posted by: Michael | May 23, 2013 12:39:44 PM

10. So telling the world you cut the scene of a bare chested man but kept the one with a woman in a bra somehow doesn't prove your sexist??

Posted by: Michael | May 23, 2013 12:39:45 PM

11. Real straight men are so ugly and can't let sexy man in their movies

Posted by: litper | May 23, 2013 12:42:36 PM

12. Too bad it wasn't Chris Pine in the shower......

Posted by: Tom | May 23, 2013 1:14:01 PM

13. I didn't think Benedict Cumberbatch was all that attractive until I watched Sherlock Holmes. That man's deep baritone and sharp features are sexy as hell.

Posted by: Opinionated | May 23, 2013 2:01:25 PM

14. Latter Trek iterations, on TV and in movies, have had plenty of objectification of both sexes, and I'm sure not complaining, even if I have to seem some girls along the way. If some aren't careful, they'll find themselves clutching their pearls along with a "Million Moms," but to each their own.

Posted by: KJ | May 23, 2013 2:02:10 PM

15. I would rather watch Spock and Kirk shower together. And by the way is the Star Trek universe still with out a major gay character?

Posted by: jaragon | May 23, 2013 5:18:54 PM

16. Just a thought: he cut the shower scene because it didn't advance the plot or otherwise contribute to the movie. And a woman in a bra and panties isn't sexist---ever seen a woman in a bikini?

Posted by: Paul R | May 23, 2013 6:07:27 PM

17. @Paul R: I don't know if you've seen the movie, but the scene in which the character gets undressed clearly adds nothing to the plot or substance of the movie. The characters are having a conversation completely unrelated to her clothing and she simply starts changing clothes in the middle of a shuttle for no apparent reason, other than to give the audience a chance to see her in her underwear.

I agree there is nothing particularly revealing about a bra and panties, but it is the way they shoe-horned the scene into the movie that makes it objectionable.

Posted by: DavyJones | May 23, 2013 6:45:59 PM

18. Yes, and on the other hand, the scene of Kirk waking up naked (well, barechested is all you see - but I'll take it) with two hot alien chicks added nothing to the plot either, but it was there. It was a character thing for Kirk - and btw - so was the bit of Alice Eve in her underwear. It was about Kirk, not about the plot per se.

The movie was still dumb as toast. Great fun, but so so so dumb.

Posted by: Zlick | May 23, 2013 8:15:31 PM

19. I stand corrected. I just see little difference between shirtless men and women in bras. They both sell tickets. I see both in real life all the time, so it doesn't strike me as a big issue.

Posted by: Paul R | May 23, 2013 11:08:23 PM

20. "And by the way is the Star Trek universe still with out a major gay character?"

The canon - TV and films- is still without any major gay character. The authorized novels, especially the ones which continue where the various TV shows left off, include several. They've also retconned (retroactive continuity) several of the minor characters from the shows and films to be gay.

I doubt we'll see any in the films going forward - the focus is either on the existing known major characters or the various villains. New characters we "get to know" generally either die or turn out to be guilty of something. I'm not sure it would be an improvement to have the first known gay Star Trek character die moments after being introduced, or turn out to be the latest threat to the Federation.

At this point until there's another series, I'd say that the best possible scenario would be some social gathering, say of senior officers from various ships or "our heroes" and Star Fleet brass, and having another captain or admiral introduce a same-sex spouse during casual introductions.

Posted by: Lymis | May 24, 2013 12:55:12 AM

21. Activists need to grow lives...they all seem to be sad and jealous now....

Posted by: Alan Brickman | May 24, 2013 9:51:31 AM

22. @ Lymis: That's a nice idea. The whole idea of Star Trek is the cooperation of humanity in peaceful exploration of the galaxy. The Enterprise crew was intended to represent all of humanity. (I suppose Spock could be imagined as representing all of our alienated minority groups.) It would be great if, for example, Abrams introduced a character, perhaps an ambassador or other non-Star Fleet personage, as a close friend of Kirk's who happens to have a same-sex significant other. (Makes me imagine some serious Spockian eyebrow raising.)

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | May 24, 2013 5:55:48 PM

23. New New your comment is everything.

Posted by: Munro | May 25, 2013 7:19:30 AM

24. The scene with Carol Marcus makes sense because Kirk will likely have a romance with her as he did in the Prime universe.

Posted by: J Ascher | May 26, 2013 12:58:45 PM

25. I like Teh Batch Sherlock skinny. I'm glad he's back to that again.

Posted by: Book | Jun 3, 2013 8:28:12 PM