Crime | Mark Carson | New York

NYC Gay Man's Killer Indicted; Lawyer Blames Murder on Client Being Sexually Abused as a Child

The New York Daily News reports that a Manhattan Criminal Court has indicted Elliot Morales, 33, who shot Mark Carson, 32 (pictured), in the West Village on Saturday night in a hate crime murder. Morales did not appear in court, but his attorney did. Writes the Daily News:

Mark carson realThe lawyer, Kevin Michael Canfield, later said Morales is not guilty of the slaying and is "devastated by the charges."

"He didn't murder anybody," Canfield said, suggesting there were other factors at play.

"He was sexually abused as a child by a male authority figure which led to a lifetime of alcoholism and drug abuse," Canfield told the Daily News, adding, "It's a terrible tragedy."

Despite other factors which may have contributed, Morales was caught soon after he shot Carson, and the gravity of the situation is very real. Towleroad previously reported on Morales' charges which included murder as a hate crime and weapons charges, as well as the massive march and rally which followed on Monday.

The Daily News recalls the incident:

"Look at you faggots, you look like gay wrestlers," Morales allegedly told victim Mark Carson and his friend minutes before policed say he shot Mark Carson, 32, in the head.

Authorities said he callously laughed as he confessed to the random killing. His gleeful expression came as he allegedly told investigators, "I shot him in the face."

The indictment follows several weeks of increased anti-gay bias incidents in New York City, including the beating of two separate gay couples near Madison Square Garden, as well as an attack on New York nightlife promoter Dan Contarino. The Daily News reports that Morales will face "his Supreme Court arraignment on June 18th." For now, he is being held at Rikers Island with no bail posted.

Comments

1. He is devastated by the charges┬┤

What kind of charges was he expecting after killing a man?

And frankly i don't care about his previous life, even if he was really abused, he didn't kill his abuser, he killed someone who didn't make him any harm

Posted by: jjose712 | May 23, 2013 3:27:14 PM

2. ....so....we LGBT folks can kill any straight person and be "inncoent" because, um, maybe at some point in our life we were physically, mentally, sexually, or emotionally abused by a Straight Authority Figure?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 23, 2013 3:35:14 PM

3. "He didn't murder anybody" but there are other factors stemming from childhood sexual abuse?

Which is it? If he didn't murder anyone, why would there be any other factors?

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | May 23, 2013 3:35:28 PM

4. So the guy is mentally ill. As if we didn't know that already.

Posted by: MateoM | May 23, 2013 3:43:32 PM

5. WTF ever. If he was upset about having been abused as a child, then why not go after his abuser? I say that rhetorically of course. Murder is always a bad idea. Which most people realize, including pretty much all people who have been abused and do not go out and kill a random person as a result.

Posted by: Sam | May 23, 2013 3:52:05 PM

6. This defense is disgusting on many levels.

1. its implying - what? That gays are pedophiles?

2. its saying that victims of sexual abuse, even if he's not lying, should have open season to kill

3. and the list goes on

wow, they should just plea and go straight to jail

Posted by: Factoid | May 23, 2013 4:04:26 PM

7. I know that everyone is entitled to the best defense they can come up with. But, how do some of these defense lawyers sleep at night?

Posted by: Taylor | May 23, 2013 4:05:47 PM

8. I know that everyone is entitled to the best defense they can come up with. But, how do some of these defense lawyers sleep at night?

Posted by: Taylor | May 23, 2013 4:05:48 PM

9. Again with the freakin' gay panic defense? Seriously?

Posted by: Jack | May 23, 2013 4:14:10 PM

10. WEHo the eff cares if he was molested? cry me a river. everything gets excusable with a sob story. If he was that messed up he should have just killed himself.

Posted by: ousslander | May 23, 2013 4:16:57 PM

11. I wonder what would happen if I coped to a straight panic defense in response to me beating up a random straight guy. Or if a defense lawyer would even take up my case if I was angling for such an excuse for why I did what I did.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 23, 2013 4:26:42 PM

12. I wonder what would happen if I coped to a straight panic defense in response to me beating up a random straight guy. Or if a defense lawyer would even take up my case if I was angling for such an excuse for why I did what I did.

Posted by: Francis #1 | May 23, 2013 4:26:42 PM

13. Google shows this isn't the first murder case this lawyer has argued where the facts of the crime aren't in dispute, so he goes with variations of "out of his mind" and tries for manslaughter. He made that argument back in February for Michael Kenny, the guy who stabbed his estranged wife after seeing a topless cell phone photo of her. The jury didn't buy it, and they won't buy it here.

Posted by: Profe Sancho Panza | May 23, 2013 4:56:02 PM

14. Give me a break! I'm surprise he didn't mention twinkies or the gay panic defense.

Posted by: jaragon | May 23, 2013 5:13:20 PM

15. "He didn't murder anybody." .........

Uh, yeah, he did.

Posted by: Lucas H | May 23, 2013 5:16:32 PM

16. Also: a couple of other articles I read describe this guy as having a VERY violent and troubled history, being in and out of prison.

He NEEDS to be off the streets. Permanently. He's obviously a danger to the public.

Posted by: Lucas H | May 23, 2013 5:18:20 PM

17. . . . or as Flip Wilson used to say, "The Devil made me do it!"

Posted by: John A. | May 23, 2013 5:37:22 PM

18. If he thought he got butthurt as a wee'un...he gonna be Sing-singing soprano at the Graybar Hotel.

Posted by: Bollux | May 23, 2013 5:49:33 PM

19. His lawyer is pathetic for making thos comments. What a scum bag.

Posted by: Mark Sachse | May 23, 2013 5:53:01 PM

20. I hope he gets sentenced to the maximum amount of time possible. Anyone who is willing to walk up to a stranger or anyone else for that matter in a public place and shoot them at point blank is a threat to society no matter what defense some low life lawyer makes up.

Posted by: Will | May 23, 2013 6:20:23 PM

21. seriously? if every victim of childhood sexual abuse picked up a gun...

Posted by: qj201 | May 23, 2013 7:28:28 PM

22. If sexual abuse made homicide justifiable there'd be no more priests. Nice thought, but try again.

Posted by: Padre Vuestro | May 23, 2013 9:08:39 PM

23. Posted before and now it's gone. A lot of us had pretty bad upbringings but we didn't go out and end someones life.

Posted by: greenfuzz | May 23, 2013 9:13:41 PM

24. The sexually abused as a child defense is so overused it is ridiculous. Do jurors ever buy that bull $hit?

Posted by: andrew | May 24, 2013 1:20:10 AM

25. The guy is probably mentally ill, has a so-called personality disorder, and has serious substance abuse problems. He should not have been out on the streets. That's the real scandal, not the BS his lawyer is using to defend him. He's just doing what lawyers do.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 24, 2013 8:45:11 AM