Film | Julia Roberts | Meryl Streep | News

Family Malfunctions in the New 'August: Osage County' Trailer: VIDEO

Streep

Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Ewan McGregor, Sam Shepard, Abigail Breslin, Juliette Lewis, Chris Cooper, and Benedict Cumberbatch go sniffing around for Oscar in the new trailer for August: Osage County, the adaptation of Tracy Letts' Pulitzer Prize-winning play of the same name.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Some serious Oscar-baiting going on in this one. But I plan to see it for sure.

Posted by: AJ | May 10, 2013 2:44:59 PM

2. that actress who made the big break with playing the prostitute will ruin the movie! No more Pretty Woman! ;-p

Posted by: iban4yesu | May 10, 2013 2:45:50 PM

3. That looks dreadful.

Posted by: Violet | May 10, 2013 3:05:51 PM

4. Well, the dialogue is great. It oughtta' be it won a Pulitzer. It's a fantastic cast also.

"...mom and dad stayed married...you
    gotta' hand it to them--staying
    married all those years"

"Karen, he killed himself"

LOL

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 10, 2013 3:10:17 PM

5. I agree, iban4yesu. I wanted Laura Linney in that part.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 10, 2013 3:13:18 PM

6. I will definitely be going to see this one. Serious Oscar bait here; the cast is awesome!

Posted by: Ron | May 10, 2013 3:24:55 PM

7. DK,you didn't say that! our very own mary ann singleton would make me soon!! just love her to pieces ! :-)

Posted by: iban4yesu | May 10, 2013 3:30:55 PM

8. The play was fantastic. If the cast and creative team do as good a job, this movie will be great.

Posted by: Omar | May 10, 2013 3:31:30 PM

9. Why did it have to be Julia Roberts?! She ruins everything she's in.

Posted by: mikep | May 10, 2013 3:33:25 PM

10. I find it annoying how once someone like Meryl Streep or Julia Roberts gets involved then every celebrity seems to feel compelled to have themselves attached to the film in some way even if it's just a bit part.

Posted by: steve | May 10, 2013 3:39:16 PM

11. Love Julia, Love Meryl, Love Juliette Lewis and Abigail Breslin and Chris Cooper. That Bandersnatch guy annoys me though. I don't know why everyone thinks he's so hot. Ugh.

Posted by: AJ | May 10, 2013 3:46:13 PM

12. Juliette Lewis needs to be in more movies, she was the most interesting part of that Hillary Swank movie that came out a few years ago. Juliette is an incredible actress.

Posted by: Thomas | May 10, 2013 4:04:15 PM

13. having seen it at Steppenwolf with the original cast, i can't get excited about the movie. first of all because of Meryl Streep as Violet. i admit i dislike Streep and always have, but to change the actress, Deanna Dunagan, who created the role & won the Tony, Drama Critics Award & Theater World Award for her performance as the main character and nailed it beyond belief is just madness to me. and Amy Morton who created Barbara the daughter replaced with Julia Roberts is insane.

art seems to always take a backseat to cinema & celebrity. sad...

Posted by: mike/ | May 10, 2013 4:08:56 PM

14. Saw the play. Hated the trailer.

Posted by: Robbie | May 10, 2013 4:14:44 PM

15. One wants this to be a wonderful movie . . . but mostly I fear it will be terrible. And I didn't love the play - but that's another story. Tracy Letts was wonderful in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf."

Posted by: Alan | May 10, 2013 4:19:18 PM

16. Not a good trailer - it tried too hard except for the flash of Ewan McGregor's grin at the end.

Posted by: steve | May 10, 2013 4:30:59 PM

17. Someone HATES Meryl Streep? 0_0 That's a first. Anyways, I love Meryl, Juliette Lewis and Abigail Breslin, so I'll be on the look out for this.

Posted by: Bryan | May 10, 2013 4:53:29 PM

18. YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!

Posted by: Marc | May 10, 2013 5:00:33 PM

19. Odd casting! Very odd..... Indeed. Not happy.

Posted by: Alan | May 10, 2013 6:09:48 PM

20. Looks like a Lifetime movie with big stars. I didn't see the play but the trailer left me unimpressed.

Posted by: joel | May 10, 2013 6:42:24 PM

21. For anyone who didn't see the original Broadway cast, I guess it will be ok. For those of us fortunate enough to have seen that unforgettable performance, this looks like a real dud.

Posted by: Smiley Ulzch | May 10, 2013 8:27:26 PM

22. Better to not compare a play to the movie, much less the TRAILER! See it or don't but don't assume from the trailer you can surmise whether the movie approaches the source material. Trailers usually put the sunniest face forward on heavy dramas -- they think we'll go running looking for another Transformers movie. We're not ALL slow children, even if they treat us like we are.

Posted by: princely54 | May 11, 2013 12:45:52 AM

23. I saw the play on Broadway with the original cast. It was *hilarious*! This trailer, however, has absolutely none of the levity that made the play soar. In fact, it looks downright gloomy. I'll see it, but only to watch Meryl Streep--an actress who should surely be declared a national treasure for her dramatic genius.

Posted by: peterparker | May 11, 2013 1:55:16 AM

24. Saw the play with the original cast, amazing, and I am loving the idea of this as a movie. Complaints about the cast? Please, save it! I hate when a movie tries to replicate a play, or a book: a great movie is one that makes the most out of its own medium, which means, by default, changing things up. Harry Potter movies: fail, tried to hard to by homage to the books. The Shining: win, found its own vision, independent of the source material. And BTW - the cast for this movie is more than competent here!

Posted by: Dave | May 11, 2013 9:43:07 AM