Discrimination | Gay Marriage | News | Oregon

Another Oregon Baker Denies Baking Wedding Cake for Gay Couple: VIDEO

Baker_couple

Back in February, Sweet Cakes, a Gresham, Oregon bakery found itself the target of protest after it said it would not bake a cake for a lesbian couple's wedding. The Oregon Labor Bureau is reportedly still investigating.

Now Fleur Cakes, a baker in Mt. Hood, Oregon, has denied a wedding cake request from a couple for the same reason. Erin Hanson and Katie Pugh (pictured above) thought they had found the perfect baker.

Not so, KOMO News reports:

"I mentioned Erin in passing, and said a 'she' in passing too, in the email. A few days later she called back and that was today. And called and verified it was a same-sex wedding," Pugh said.

And that's when Fleur Cakes said it wouldn't bake the cake.

The business is also Regentin's house. She was out of town but spoke to KATU News on the phone.

When asked if she was aware it's illegal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation for a business that serves the public, Regentin said: "I believe I have the liberty to live by my principles."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

And, if you're interested, here is Fleur Cakes' Facebook page.

Comments

1. I swear, I really don't get it. It is simply creating and selling a product. That's the extent of participating in this same sex wedding. Day in and day out, this baker bakes cakes and sells them, but now, *baking a cake and selling it* will go against the baker's principles. What nonsense.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 15, 2013 10:24:21 AM

2. "I believe I have the liberty to live by my principles."

No. You don't. You broke the law.

Leviticus 20:9-10 suggests that children who curse their parents and adulterers should be stoned to death. That's against the law too.

Posted by: Gigi | May 15, 2013 10:27:52 AM

3. "I believe I have the liberty to live by my principles." Very true, but that has nothing to do with baking a wedding cake.

p.s. I am going to start an Atheist bakery and deny cakes and pastries to religious people so that I can live my life by my principles.

Posted by: Ted | May 15, 2013 10:28:12 AM

4. Fleur's Cakes - "We make Wedding Cakes, but ONLY if you have a Pee-pee and VaJJ"

Posted by: disgusted american | May 15, 2013 10:29:54 AM

5. If you want to live your principles, then close down your business, give away all of your possessions, and begin to live amongst those that have the least of these. This is what Jesus did, so if you are a true follower of Christ and not doing this, SHUT UP and sell the damn cake!!!

Posted by: THurts | May 15, 2013 10:34:04 AM

6. As a gay man I am sad to see this but I say just make sure everyone knows & give your money to people who want it. As sad and narrow minded as it may be.

My partner is a baker & he has turned down cakes he thought were in poor taste or rude (not just sexual cakes either). He was told by another baker of someone who wanted to celebrate the death of Martin Luther King Jr and not in a positive way with a cake. That baker turned it down. My partner has also turned down religious cakes from groups for reasons of ideology. I would hate to think he could be forced to make a cake of one of those horrible things.

Housing, job, & healthcare are universal, for the rest go where you and your money are welcome is all I say. Would rather give my money to people that like me & I know it than unwittingly give it to people who will use it to fight my rights.

Posted by: Nemo | May 15, 2013 10:35:48 AM

7. "Another Oregon Baker Denies Baking Wedding Cake for Gay Couple" means that they may or may not have done so. If they did, they will not admit it. Your title should read: "Another Oregon Baker Denies Request to Bake Wedding Cake for Gay Couple"

Posted by: Sam C | May 15, 2013 10:37:15 AM

8. "I believe" still breaks the law, idiots!

Posted by: Geoff | May 15, 2013 10:39:26 AM

9. It's not surprising how close Mt. Hood Parkdale is to the homophobic hot spot in Oregon on the hate map.

Also, now it's not so surprising that "Dyke" was the most used slur there.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | May 15, 2013 10:39:30 AM

10. "Another Oregon Baker Denies Baking Wedding Cake for Gay Couple" means that they may or may not have done so. If they did, they will not admit it. Your title should read: "Another Oregon Baker Denies Request to Bake Wedding Cake for Gay Couple"

Posted by: Sam C | May 15, 2013 10:41:04 AM

11. Nemo, what was the reaction from all of those people your partner denied service to?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 15, 2013 10:44:10 AM

12. I don't get why anti-gay business owners think they should only do business with those whose religion comports with their own. It's like the Catholic businesses who think their employees should follow THEIR rules on birth control.

On the other hand, I can guarantee that they don't issue questionnaires to each customer, to be sure they're not an adulterer or a fornicator. These nuts have a peculiar notion of "religious freedom."

Posted by: Jamie in Las Vegas | May 15, 2013 10:45:31 AM

13. It's just a fvcking cake. What's so hard about baking a cake?

Posted by: Steve | May 15, 2013 10:46:13 AM

14. @Nemo
    You just don't get it. Businesses don't have to take all customers, but they can't refuse them based on the membership in a protected class.

People should not be forced to beg a dozen businesses to serve them before they find one that will. Never mind that in rural areas, there maybe only one or two such businesses around and if they refuse, they can shut you out of certain services.

Posted by: Steve | May 15, 2013 10:48:57 AM

15. @Steve

Yep. What if the only gas station, grocer or pharmacy for a hundred miles won't serve gay people? Cakes are frivolous, but not every product and service is.

Posted by: Jamie in Las Vegas | May 15, 2013 10:58:41 AM

16. "Religious belief": just another way of saying antigay animus.

Posted by: john patrick | May 15, 2013 10:59:59 AM

17. @Nemo: Refusing to bake a certain kind of cake (one that you consider obscene, for example) is not the same as refusing to serve a customer altogether because they belong to a group you don't like. In the former case, presumably the baker wouldn't make an obscene cake for any customer, regardless of that customer's sexual orientation, religious beliefs, race or ethnicity. In the latter case, the baker is in essence hanging out a No Gays/Blacks/Jews/Christians etc. shingle and saying I will serve everyone but you: no matter what cake you might request, it is unacceptable to me.

The latter is in clear violation of Washington's non-discrimination laws, and if a bakery owner doesn't agree with the state's non-discrimination laws, they're free to work to change the law, take the consequences of violating the law, or to step out of the public accommodations business. There is no reason why people with so-called religious beliefs or principles should be given a special exemption.

Posted by: Ernie | May 15, 2013 11:02:27 AM

18. and yet.....for all their "this is my religion" arguments, they will not be able to point to a single passage in scripture that can back up their claims, nor could defend their position.

this is one of those things that a bigoted church leader tells his/her flock, and the idiots go home and swallow it, unthinking. but there aint no scriptural defense for "you can't back a cake for them because it makes you complicit and then you're just as bad and you're going to hell"

it simply isn't there.

for make a leap - this is almost akin to the Islamist Burqa/niqab: it aint in the Q'uran, it's a cultural dictation by men.

so, Christians, it aint in your bibles - it's a cultural dictation by your slavemaster pastors/priests/reverends, etc.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 15, 2013 11:07:31 AM

19. "I believe I have the liberty to live by my principles."

Yes, exactly. Nobody is going to force you to marry someone of the same sex!

Posted by: EchtKultig | May 15, 2013 11:08:28 AM

20. "My partner is a baker & he has turned down cakes he thought were in poor taste or rude (not just sexual cakes either). He was told by another baker of someone who wanted to celebrate the death of Martin Luther King Jr and not in a positive way with a cake. That baker turned it down. My partner has also turned down religious cakes from groups for reasons of ideology."

The difference here is that your partner is refusing to produce certain products, not refusing to serve certain clients. The law does not say that bakers must make any cake imagined by their clients, it only says they cannot refuse their normal services to clients based on certain characteristics. If your bakery doesn't make religious cakes, that's fine. If your bakery refuses to serve Muslims, that is not.

Posted by: mkandefer | May 15, 2013 11:34:20 AM

21. I get the concept, and I know the law. I am allowed to disagree with the law. I understand being denied services for who we are, and how difficult it can be find places in rural areas- I grew up in a VERY rural area and know the discrimination I face/ faced there.

All that said, I find the idea of forcing money down someone's throat that is just going to use it to try to get more Michelle Bachman's elected & in power just as icky as denying people.

My point about the decoration of the cakes is the statements about "its just a cake, just bake it". I was not equating the refusal of the people, but pointing out hte absurdity of "its just a cake". The same can, and will be said about many things, but when an artist works they have to enjoy/believe in/ or at least be ok with working on the product/creation to some degree to get it to come out decent.

Posted by: Nemo | May 15, 2013 11:45:39 AM

22. It's your position that is absurd. You are treating this is a theoretical issue and think about what would be ideal or nice. But real life doesn't work that way.

Posted by: Steve | May 15, 2013 12:06:09 PM

23. Dear Fleur Cakes, Your Beliefs Are Not Your Rights. By your standards, Southern lunch counter owners in the Civil Rights era were entitled to deny service to black customers because they believed blacks were an inferior race.

Posted by: Peter | May 15, 2013 12:06:46 PM

24. I will not be forced to work for a psychochristian and I don't expect them to be forced to work for me.

Posted by: David Hearne | May 15, 2013 12:07:57 PM

25. Peter, Lunch counters (and it was not only in the South) DID have the right to refuse to serve blacks or anyone else they didn't want to serve. Do you people have no concept of Freedom of Association and private property? Communism is the philosophy under which one works for the good of the state. We are not a community country.

Posted by: David Hearne | May 15, 2013 12:09:50 PM