Crime | New York | News

Teen Charged in NYC's Latest Anti-Gay Hate Crime as Victim Speaks Out: VIDEO

Lovendusky

Over the weekend I reported on the 9th recent anti-gay hate crime in New York City in recent weeks. Nineteen-year-old Manel Riquelme has been charged with a hate crime and aggravated harassment in the attack on Eugene Lovendusky, a member of the activist group Queer Rising.

NY1 reports: "Investigators say Lovendusky and his boyfriend were walking on 42nd Street near Eighth Avenue around 3 a.m. Saturday when a group of teenagers, including Manuel Riquelme, 19, began shouting anti-gay slurs...Riquelme allegedly hit Lovendusky in the face and knocked off the victim's glasses, according to police. After the alleged incident, Lovendusky called police and officers found the teens in a pizzeria at West 40th Street and Ninth Avenue."

Said Lovendusky to PIX 11: "They started yelling  'faggot' at us, and I spun on my heels because I am worth defending… and I got punched. Then my friend stepped up trying to defend and he was told ‘Do you want to be next faggot?’  But by then I had my phone out and the cops came right away. No matter how big or small one feels the assault may be, report it.  The more reporting the more public conversation, the more awareness."

Watch Lovendusky speak with WPIX (apologies for autoplay), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "And I spun on my heels because I am worth defending."

A great way to put it. These hateful people need to be stopped.

Posted by: Mike8787 | May 28, 2013 11:35:19 AM

2. ""And I spun on my heels because I am worth defending.""

I can almost hear the inappropriate rising intonation.

Posted by: David Hearne | May 28, 2013 11:39:08 AM

3. This happened just down the street from XL. That stretch of 42nd street can be a little scary late at night. Considering there is a police station right next door to XL, hopefully this won't happen again.

Posted by: A-8 | May 28, 2013 11:40:45 AM

4. I'm sorry he got insulted, even sorrier he got hit, and very glad that he was lucky that things didn't get worse. Yeah, he's worth defending, but I'm not sure it would've been worth risking his life. And at 3AM, at 42nd/8th...I'm not sure I'd have taken that risk. Wondering if there was liquid courage involved here?

Yeah, Eugene is worth defending, but not every insult is worth risking your life over. The more I think about it, the gladder I am that he's alive. Be smart, y'all, we don't need to lose anyone else.

Obligatory objectifying comment: Eugene's pretty cute, in a nerdy, geeky kind of way.

Posted by: You Jean | May 28, 2013 12:08:51 PM

5. well done, Eugene!!!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 28, 2013 12:13:12 PM

6. Kiwi - Only you would describe a featherless buzzard as cute. Your dog is cute; this guy looks like an Amish school teacher.

Posted by: David Hearne | May 28, 2013 12:20:09 PM

7. Someday I hope a gay man pulls a Bernie Goetz on these bigots.

Posted by: Eddie | May 28, 2013 12:29:04 PM

8. David Hearne, you an absolute dickhole. Your mother should have used a coathanger.

Posted by: Mikey | May 28, 2013 12:52:14 PM

9. David Hearne, somehow, I don't think you're the butchest bird in the barn.

Posted by: Polyboy | May 28, 2013 12:52:45 PM

10. Seems like almost all these attacks are at the hands of young black and hispanic youth. Why aren't people like Al Sharpton outraged?

Posted by: sean | May 28, 2013 1:31:44 PM

11. @ Sean,

Yes, Sean. Al Sharpton should be outraged--just like the Great Kim Jung-un.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 28, 2013 1:43:40 PM

12. The b*tchiness on here. Knowing some [SOME] gay men like I know them, I'm not surprised they occasionally encounter issues with others that sometimes results in violence. I know if Mr. Raymond Miller from Toronto said to my face what he says online about my mom and dad being raped and killed, he'd get snot beat out of him. And that wouldn't be a 'gay bashing', although I bet he'd try to claim it was afterwards.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 28, 2013 1:45:28 PM

13. @Derrick - I suppose one could ask why the anonymous-gay-conservatives online never get outraged at the continued promotion of prejudice and bigotry from their own party, but hey, we both know why they can't, and won't. ;-)

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 28, 2013 1:57:09 PM

14. @Raymond Miller,

Why don't you respond to those so-called 'anonymous-gay-conservatives' with troll posts about their mom and dad being raped and murdered? Oh, that's right, you already do.

Maybe Eugene need to sit down talk to his Friend Raymond from Toronto about bullying, hate speech and mean spiritness.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 28, 2013 2:02:41 PM

15. I like this guy and think he handled this incident very well.

Now he should stand against homophobia a second time and give a different name to his "Queer Rising" group. Gay people are not queer and it is absurd that he would be part of a group that has as part of its name the same derogatory language used by the people who attacked him.

Posted by: Dex | May 28, 2013 2:04:19 PM

16. Dex, as an occasional member of Queer Rising, and a self-identifying Queer man (as well as self-identifying gay man) I think what you need to understand is that those of us in the group SELF-identify as Queer.

we're not calling you Queer, we're identifying ourselves that way.

Yes. Gay people are not (all) queer, and not all queer people are gay.

But many gay people, and many non-gay people, choose to self-identify as Queer. It's not derogatory when you are empowered and self-identify with your being different from the pereived societal norm.

Queer - from a different point of view. Different. Unique. Of a differing perspective and outlook.

You may not like "our" self-identifying as Queer, but you're also not a part of the group. You're more than free to start your own direct-action activism/advocacy group and give them a name you prefer.

But it's incorrect of you to insist that the word is a derogatory slur when the folks who are members of this group are indeed self-identifying, and empowered by it.

thanks :D

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 28, 2013 2:08:51 PM

17. What does what he looks like or what time he was out have to do with the fact he was assaulted. We should be able to be out at what ever time we want and should be safe. The more people that get arrested for this type of crime maybe it will curtail the incidence of them. Glad he and his friend are safe it could have been a lot worse.

Posted by: bructer | May 28, 2013 2:15:56 PM

18. @Mr. Lovendusky,

If some gay men are capable of responding with defensive violence, they should be allowed to, and encouraged to. Gay men, and everybody else,should be legally allowed to respond to violence against them. They should be allowed to own and carry on themselves defensive weapons. Dialing 911 worked for you this time. 99.9% of people are in places where police aren't going to respond 'immediately' [there's a police station within spitting distance of where you were assaulted]. I understand disarming law abiding people is part of the 'progressive' narrative and talking points. It's certainly something I and many others, gay and non-gay, do not agree with.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 28, 2013 2:16:12 PM

19. @bructer,

Reality is different from a desired utopia. Reality is I [for example] would be VERY careful if I had to be in certain locations, and would try my best to avoid certain locations and environments, for the sake of my safety. I certainly would like it if I felt free to go and do anything within the law, anywhere, at anytime, but realize this is unfortunately a utopic fantasy. Walking around certain locations like in areas where there's bars and clubs, especially late night, early morning, closing time, etc., you have good odds you're going to encounter some aholes who're going to F with you, gay or not gay. Especially in a big city like NY.

That's all.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 28, 2013 2:23:00 PM

20. It is good advice to report these crimes no matter the extent. However that works in Gay Urban areas but doesn't work that way in the hinterlands. Too often you are made to look foolish. Been there.

Posted by: Jerry | May 28, 2013 2:31:35 PM

21. It is good advice to report these crimes no matter the extent. However that works in Gay Urban areas but doesn't work that way in the hinterlands. Too often you are made to look foolish. Been there.

Posted by: Jerry | May 28, 2013 2:31:43 PM

22. The effectiveness of reporting it to police is unreliable and often has undesirable consequences. Even in NYC, many police don't care about gays and don't think it's a crime to bash them. They may go through the motions of taking a report, but don't expect anything to happen in most cases of reporting.

Posted by: Kev C | May 28, 2013 4:45:44 PM

23. Mikey - Kiwi started it.

Posted by: David Hearne | May 28, 2013 11:23:56 PM

24. What does what he looks like or what time he was out have to do with the fact he was assaulted. We should be able to be out at what ever time we want and should be safe. .......
    Posted by: bructer

Yours would be the "A woman has a right to walk naked through Africa without being raped." argument. Reality disagrees.

Posted by: David Hearne | May 28, 2013 11:27:01 PM

25. From Little Kiwi: "Gay people are not (all) queer, and not all queer people are gay."

EXCELLENT point, brother - and nicely put.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | May 29, 2013 7:17:54 AM