Andy Warhol | Deaths | News | Taylor Mead

Warhol Muse and Beat Poet Taylor Mead Dies at 88: VIDEO

Mead

Beat poet, actor, and Warhol friend Taylor Mead died on Wednesday in Colorado at the age of 88.

The film critic J. Hoberman called Mr. Mead “the first underground movie star.” The film historian P. Adams Sitney called one of Mr. Mead’s earliest films, “The Flower Thief” (1960), “the purest expression of the Beat sensibility in cinema.”

“The Flower Thief,” directed by Ron Rice, stars Mr. Mead as a bedraggled mystic wandering the North Beach neighborhood of San Francisco with open-mouthed wonder. He carries with him his three prized possessions: a stolen gardenia, an American flag and a teddy bear.

Check out the following clip shot by Craig Highberger in which Mead talks about Jackie Curtis, Candy Darling and Holly Woodlawn, Max's Kansas City and getting beat up (and rejected by the hospital) for being gay in the 60's.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I salute you, Taylor Mead, for a fantastic life lived very, very well. R.I.P.

Posted by: jamal49 | May 10, 2013 11:24:02 AM

2. Hmmm. Interesting. Just this past Sunday I watched Trash with Joe Dallesandro from 1970. Nice period piece, gritty and atmospheric. An interesting time in history to have been alive, and to have seen and done the things Mead did.

You must be tired, Taylor Mead. R.I.P.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 10, 2013 11:43:25 AM

3. LEGEND!

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | May 10, 2013 12:19:01 PM

4. We love you Taylor.

Posted by: greenfuzz | May 10, 2013 1:54:51 PM

5. I wonder what Mr Mead thought (if he knew) of those who don't believe there's any connection between Gay folks and Transgender folk. He talks about Jackie Curtis with such fondness.

I think Jackie was the most talented of all the Warhol crew. But being Gay and Transgender in the 1960s put limitations on how far he could go career wise.

Well, Holly Woodlawn is still here, and her video interviews on Youtube are a joy to watch.

Posted by: Derrrick from Philly | May 10, 2013 2:10:11 PM

6. A true pioneer of our culture! He will be remembered for his art and his words.

Posted by: dbaudit | May 10, 2013 2:52:24 PM

7. A simple country girl.

Posted by: kodiak | May 10, 2013 7:16:42 PM

8. Interesting that violence in the Village wasn't acknowledged even then. He speaks of Holly Woodlawn and Warhol. It reminds me of my friend Lance Loud. That group were his idols. It was a moment in gay history. The only time I did drag straight guys flirted with me. Too convincing. It was fun.

Posted by: GB | May 10, 2013 8:16:14 PM

9. I actually met Taylor Meade about 8 years ago at a small club in Manhattan where he was doing a poetry reading. I went up to him after the performance and asked him to sign a book I had about the Warhol era - he autographed next to a picture of himself. He was very sweet. Before I exited the club I gave the bartender some money and told him that the next time Mr. Meade ordered a drink it was on me.

Posted by: Mary | May 10, 2013 8:22:28 PM