Football (American) | New York | News | NFL | Sports

New York Jets Linebacker DeMario Davis: Gays are Sinners But I'd Welcome One to the Team

Davis

New York Jets linebacker DeMario Davis says he thinks gays are sinners but that doesn't mean he wouldn't welcome one to the Jets, the NY Daily News reports.

Said Davis:

"If someone was to come out on our team, we’re a team that’s about winning. When it comes to the (Jets), I put my personal beliefs separate from the team....According to the scriptures, and God’s law, homosexuality is wrong. The act is wrong. I’ve got homosexuals in my family who I love to death. I’ve got drunks in my family. I’ve got people who have premarital sex in my family. And I don’t agree with any of those things, but I still love and respect those people....The way that person would be viewed would not be changed. If that person were to go on and say he’s a Christian and he’s homosexual that doesn’t change how I feel about him. That’s his view, and I have mine."

Added Davis: "Anybody that can help our team, we’re more than happy to have them. It’s that same open-arms approach: we respect all in our locker room. We love all in our locker room.”

Comments

1. Dear DeMario:

Evangelical christians are assholes and I wouldn't welcome one to an outhouse.

Go screw yourself.

Love,
    Me

Posted by: jamal49 | May 10, 2013 11:45:58 AM

2. It's a pity he doesn't have pedophiles and murderers in his family. Then he could compare gay people to them as well.

Here's an idea: "Shut your ignorant pie hole."

Signed,
    The gay community™

Posted by: David in the O.C. | May 10, 2013 11:47:58 AM

3. Fvck you too, assh0le

Posted by: Steve | May 10, 2013 11:50:20 AM

4. *barf*

this would be "nice" or "impressive" - if every other Christian on the planet was a Westboro.

Alas, that aint the case. I know Christians, Muslims, Jews, Atheists, Agnostics who celebrate and embrace the LGBT communities.

so when comes peddles this tired old "love the sinner hate the sin" nonsense it makes me wanna roll my eyes.

the problem, of course, is that these peopel don't know squat about the bible - only what (mis)interpretations their pastors waste time shoveling out on Sundays.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | May 10, 2013 11:51:25 AM

5. And everyone else in the lockerroom is a saint?!?

Posted by: MT | May 10, 2013 11:51:48 AM

6. And YOU are not a sinner? Check your precious bible! Ignorant tard!

Posted by: Alan | May 10, 2013 11:52:41 AM

7. Dear DeMario - at One time Religion Considered YOU SINNERS....because your weren't the "right" color...

Posted by: disgusted american | May 10, 2013 11:59:50 AM

8. I have to agree with him 100%. He is entitled to his private views, as long as they don't interfere with his job, and as long as he doesn't try to enact discriminatory policies into law. If tolerance means anything, it means that we tolerate his wicked and sinful homophobia, he tolerates what he perceives as our wicked sinful homosexuality, and we all get along just fine.

Posted by: BABH | May 10, 2013 12:01:07 PM

9. Oh, and as long as he doesn't reject any gay children of his own that he may have.

Posted by: BABH | May 10, 2013 12:03:23 PM

10. well, coming from the South, the Bible Belt- what he just expressed is very progressive to us. And to be fair to him, what he stated is what the gay community as a whole recommends: we want to work with you, treat us civilly and respectfully within the workplace, and we we can work around or ignore (while in the workplace) your personal dislike and beliefs. Which is what this guy is saying.

I'm def not saying I like it, or this is the zenith of acceptability. It obviously isn't- as there are many religious pple who accept gays and lesbians no questions asked intheir workplace/team; however , I do think this might be the new reality with some pple- and it is better than Chris Broussard's response.

Posted by: scott | May 10, 2013 12:03:34 PM

11. Well, Mr. Davis, your religion is based on fairy tales and most of us in the LGBT community could care less what you think. Why is it that Christianists feel they have to pass judgement on everybody contrary to what their own book of fairy tales tells them?

Posted by: Brad | May 10, 2013 12:03:36 PM

12. just keep talkin', and you'll do more for gay rights than any rally or legislation will...

Posted by: northalabama | May 10, 2013 12:03:51 PM

13. I kind of hate when commenters on here (and elsewhere) get up in arms over people who think homosexuality is a sin. He puts it on the same level as premarital sex and feels as though it's against his religious belief, but he doesn't have a problem with the person. You don't have to agree with his faith or his beliefs, but you should tolerate them. Particularly when he isn't using them against anyone.

I personally am anti-organized religion across the board. I feel it's a detriment to people much more than it provides any actual benefit. And I'm an atheist. But people believe in these things? Fine. The ones that don't come for me? I won't come for them.

Posted by: Jim | May 10, 2013 12:04:00 PM

14. As a Bible believing evangelical, I believe ahe Bible teaches that blacks are naturally inferior and cursed by God to be "drawers of water and hewers of wood". But that doesn't mean I wouldn't welcome a darkie on my team.

Posted by: Jeremiah | May 10, 2013 12:07:24 PM

15. His views are as narrow as his pointed head.

Posted by: samuel | May 10, 2013 12:07:40 PM

16. @Jim It deserves about as much tolerance as holocaust denial and white supremacy. I can bet you good money that he does indeed use his views to discriminate against others: Does he support marriage equality? There you go. Discrimination motivated by his beliefs (a belief which in itself is discriminatory).

Posted by: Chris | May 10, 2013 12:09:35 PM

17. I think you have a point, Jim, but here's the thing: He is a bigot. And bigotry should not be tolerated.

Posted by: chris | May 10, 2013 12:10:14 PM

18. I agree with BABH, and I also agree with Steve.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 10, 2013 12:11:39 PM

19. Ya know, I think it's time to move on to the 22nd century. Get rid of religion and belief in any god. Religion over time has been responsible for so much death, destruction and pain. Religion is used to control people, to maim people, to discriminate against people. It's time for a new way to thinking.

Posted by: Ben Nevis | May 10, 2013 12:12:01 PM

20. Well, since the Book of Exodus (35:2) states that anyone who works on Sunday should be put to death, I imagine a lot of professional football players might want to think twice before advocating the Bible's approach to what it considers to be "sin."

Posted by: bobbyjoe | May 10, 2013 12:12:18 PM

21. Put me down as a "supporter" of this statement as well. There's no way we can get inside everyone's head and force them to love us. If the guy really means what he says, and is willing to fully accept gays as teammates and not let his personal views interfere with this, I think that's all we can accept. Keeping in mind half the country doesn't approve of homosexuality, we'll exhaust ourselves getting angry at half the country. What matters is how they express it and what the practical implications are. For me, on recent controversies the stupid wrestler, Chris Broussard and Niall Ferguson all deserve contempt. This guy's statement is ok with me, although I also take the very unpopular position that jeremy irons was ok as well.

Posted by: Brian | May 10, 2013 12:12:41 PM

22. I wonder if the reporter of the New York Daily News knew that DeMario was a fundamentalist Christian before he asked to interview him?

@Jeremiah,

there are still many in America who hold your point of view. I can't stop them from thinking that way, and I be fool to try. So, what's your f.ckin' point?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 10, 2013 12:15:44 PM

23. $100 to the first person with proof of Demario's history of premarital sexcapades. Holier-than-thou hypocrites abound.

Posted by: Mike | May 10, 2013 12:17:40 PM

24. I mean I think being a brain dead f*cking moron is wrong, but if he's able to bring value to the team then I would be willing to work with him.

Posted by: Not that Rob | May 10, 2013 12:21:20 PM

25. Hhmmm, his remarks are so ill-reasoned, they really don't warrant a response.

Proof, really, that comes in every color and persuasion. But has a special affinity for the NFL

Posted by: garryo | May 10, 2013 12:21:29 PM