Tony Perkins Reacts to Boy Scouts Decision: ‘God Will Soon Be Ushered Out of Scouting’

Hate group leader Tony Perkins, President of the Family Research Council, reacted to the Boy Scouts decision to lift the ban on gay scouts, even though the BSA left in place a ban on gay leaders.

PerkinsSaid Perkins:

"Sadly, the Boy Scouts' legacy of producing great leaders has become yet another casualty of moral compromise. Unfortunately, Boy Scout delegates capitulated to strong-arm tactics and abandoned the timeless values that have served the organization well for more than 100 years.

"The delegates succumbed to a concerted and manipulative effort by the national BSA leadership despite the BSA's own survey showing 61 percent of its members in opposition to changing the policy.

"The Boy Scouts has for decades been a force for moral integrity and leadership in the United States. BSA councils, Scouting parents, and leaders of the faith-based organizations that charter over two-thirds of the packs and troops, must now decide how to respond to this moral compromise. Many will separate from the organization so that they can continue to foster character among boys and respect the right of parents to discuss issues of sexuality with their sons.

"It is clear that the current BSA leadership will bend with the winds of popular culture, and the whims of liberal special interest groups. There is little doubt that God will soon be ushered out of scouting. Now is the time for new leadership. In the meantime, we will stand with those BSA Councils who will now act to protect boys from a new policy that only creates moral confusion and disrespects the views of the vast majority of Scouting parents," concluded Perkins.

Comments

1. HadenoughBS says

Perkins doesn’t know the meaning of being “morally straight”. If any boy needs protecting from moral confusion and disrepect, it’s from Perkins and the FRC’s homophobic bigotry. Get an adult life, Perkins, and leave the children of America alone.

2. Michael Barber says

The hate group leader yearns for the days when he can use his heterosexuality as a weapon of bigotry. Sorry Tony, those days are over.

3. says

So much of conservative money blown by La Perkins on your opinionated promotion of hate in society.

La Perkins and FRC stage act of bigotry is a tired old vaudeville of high kicking show girls……aged and jaded.

Grow up bigots….soon you will be looking for real jobs which will require actual abilities…..other than your spewing bile out of your holes.
    Now what real qualification do you actually have ? Any janitorial experience ?

4. bambinoitaliano says

I’m still waiting for Jesus to show up and smack his mouth. No god would let this moron continuously talking smack in her name.

5. Jack M says

Every time this jerk and all others like him don’t get their way, I rejoice.

6. says

He talks about God being ushered out of scouting like it’s a bad thing. And, yes, the Boy Scouts (along with a majority of non-zealot Americans) will bend with the wind if they want to stay relevant. It’s called changing times. Tony is only relevant because the likes of CNN still invite his backwards brand of bigotry on the air.

7. SBC19 says

The Catholic and Mormon churches should simply cancel all funding and services to the Boy Scouts if they’re going to be pressured into allowing in those who spit on morality and decency. Then when the organization immediately implodes as a result, lets hear what idiots like Zach Wahls has to say about it “moving into the future.” It would be a shame to punish those good kids in scouts who adhere to longstanding the values of the BSA and have done nothing wrong, but sometimes a few bad apples screws it up for everyone. I hope that the church are keeping a watchful eye on all this and shortens its leash if need be.

8. says

@ SBC19 :

I’m gay and I don’t ‘spit on morality and decency’.Where do you learn that kind of Alice-in-Wonderland garbage ?

Or are you yet another troll on this page looking for attention ?
    Go find crazy somewhere else, we’re all stocked up here.
    Thank you Jack Nicolson.

9. simon says

SBC19:
    It is a good thing that the Church reduces its funding to Boy Scouts. It needs the money to pay for the crimes their priests committed against child victims. The moral Church spits on herself. That’s why other people are spitting on it.

10. norseman says

So “great leaders” have to be straight ?
    Only straight people have “moral integrity ?
    HIstory and life experiences would seem to contradict those propositions.

What was that wonderful Ayn Rand line from “Atlas Shrugged” ?

“Contradictions do not exist. If you think you are facing a contradiction, examine your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong.”

11. HadenoughBS says

Uh, SBC19, aren’t you commenting on the wrong blog with your incorrect use of English grammar? Your logic about the BSA’s pro-gay scouts action is, well, illogical. Duh….good luck living here in the 21st century.

12. Rob says

Awe Tony, you have lost your grip. The vote wasn’t even close 68% for and 31% against. How does that strong, ferocious, river current of positive change feel klansman?

13. Bill says

And my prayer this morning is that God will see fit to usher Tony Perkins into a more suitable career worthy of his unique talents – like fecal examiner.

14. Bill says

15. woodroad34d says

So, Bubbleboy Perkins said that Boy Scouts succumbed to “strong armed tactics”. I guess the Mormons, Catholics, Southern Baptists didn’t strong arm enough with their own threats. Being a liar, prideful, knowing the mind of God is quite the hubris and immoral, blondie.

16. northalabama says

the only way god will be ushered out of scouting is if he (or she) starts heading for the door on his (or her) own. that’s what so many seem to forget. many gays are ok with including god, it’s just that god won’t include gays.

i’ve had about about as much “love” from religions and religous leaders as i can stand for one lifetime.

17. David Hearne says

I honestly was never aware that god was in scouting…. and I did scouting at a Catholic school.

White trash evangelicals often seem to have some strange ideas about what parochial school is like. We didn’t talk about god except in religion class. We learned Creation in religion class and Evolution in science class and didn’t seem to have a problem knowing the difference.

Scouts met in the school basement, and if we ever talked about god, I can’t remember it.

18. Richard says

Why hasn’t this homophobic bastard been banished from the world stage like Joseph McCarthy? News media, do your job. Always identify him as the leader of a designated hate group.

19. noteasilyoffended says

When will the “religious right” and all the bible-thumpers realize that being gay and religious and moral are not mutually exclusive? I’m so tired of their lame arguments. No one wants to take God out of scouting. And who said “morally straight” has anything to do with sexuality?

20. Backdoor Man says

Here’s betting “God” takes the backdoor on the way, just like the gays do it.

21. anon says

I think he’s more worried about the possible demise of Tumblr than the change in BSA policy.

22. john patrick says

I just talked with god this morning, and he said he was soooo disgusted with allowing gay boys into scouting, that he was going to send back his Eagle Scout medal. But he didn’t say he would stop making gay boys.

23. David Hearne says

Serious question time.

I’ve never met Tony Perkins, but I suspect that he is of average or above average intelligence. I have met people with IQ’s that while perhaps not as ridiculously high as my own, are close. Some of those people appear to sincerely believe in God. Not some stylized version of God, or extracted Jesuit philosophy like my mother does. Not Joseph Campbell’s “metaphor for understanding”, but an actual belief in an actual god who looks remarably like Zeus.

How is that possible?

24. graphicjack says

Which god do you mean, Perkins? Your god? The Muslim’s god? The version of god that Jews believe in? Or the Buddhists? The fact is, everyone has a different idea of god, and some people don’t believe in any god at all. I assume scout masters and troops come from all walks of life now, not just from Christian families.

God should be kept in church where sheepole can flock to whatever version of religion they want, or in the privacy of your own homes. Otherwise, god, whichever one you mean, should be kept out of any other type of public organization… I don’t want your god crammed down my throat, especially since I don’t believe in it. Boo hoo if you’re not the majority any more. You can still believe in whatever fiction you want, but you don’t get to force your opinions on me anymore.

25. gregorybrown says

Tony’s god is that old tyrant YHWH, resident storm god who was so fond of smiting and slaying and giving out rules and regs about everything. It’s in the Jewish Bible, that chronicle of how YHWH turned the Israelites loose on their neighbors for a decades long rampage of rape, pillage, mutilation, theft and general nastiness. This patron of marauding land pirates belongs in a crueler world. If he’s ushered out of scouting, it’s a time to rejoice.

26. MateoM says

Andy, are you seeing these comments from the likes of Lindo89? Please delete them. It’s one thing to disagree with something, but calling us perverts is another.

27. Mary says

All these anti-gay trolls are getting on my nerves (I know – the former pot calling the kettle black!) But the difference is that when I was an opponent of (most) gay rights legislation/issues, I at least respected gay people as individuals and refrained from calling them derogatory names or associating them with diseases. I also never mentioned the mechanics of gay sex – my concernes were sociological. These new people are only here to cause trouble – not to show how you can be “anti-gay” politically and pro-gay at the personal level. I say if you’re going to visit someone else’s community and be an opponent you need to show some humility – and a bit of goodwill if you want your participation to be taken seriously.

28. says

As a youth in the forties, one of the best things to happen in my life. I was a member and became a leader in Troop 22 of Marshall Baptist Church. We trained as all Boy Scouts,but we went further learning about Christianity..Our Assistant Pasror was Scout Master, Our directors were Church Deacons, I could not begin to tell you how much it meant to a growing boy. I hear the Baptist many start something new to replace what we have since the Devil took over. I wiah to be a serious part of this. I am a semi-retired ad and promotions expert and would love to show how to raise money by way of volunteers. I help to keep over 70 computers of the Roanoke, Va. Rescue Mission and other Christian volunteer work.