Bradley Manning | News

Bradley Manning, Looking Ghostly After Three Years of Confinement: PHOTO

Manning

Via Reuters executive editor Jim Roberts, who tweets: "Is Bradley #Manning getting any sunlight?"

Manning's former supervisor is set to be called to the witness stand today:

Jihrleah Showman has already appeared before the court at Fort Meade, Maryland, having attended the first pre-trial hearing that was held in December 2011. On that occasion, she related how Manning had punched her during a violent outburst that led to him being demoted to the rank of private.

Showman also recounted other erratic behaviour from Manning, including an incident in which she feared that he had reached for a gun, and went as far as to say that in her opinion he should never have been allowed to deploy to Iraq because he was a "threat to himself and to others".

Showman will be called by government lawyers as they seek to drive home their case: that Manning was fully aware that what he was doing, in carrying out the largest leak of state secrets in US history, could put the nation in harm's way and benefit foreign adversaries.

Comments

1. Sweet Jesus. All I can say is if you're thinking of doing something similar to what he did, DON'T.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 5, 2013 10:41:34 AM

2. This man is a confessed treasonous dog and should be treated as such. Just because he may be gay, the "community" treats him like a hero. If he didn't look like he does, but instead looked like Gary Busey on a bad day he'd be thrown to the wolves. I'm sure my gay brothers and sisters here on Towelroad will now crucify me for expressing my opinion, but as a retired USMC Vietnam veteran I cannot stand silent.

Posted by: I wont grow up | Jun 5, 2013 10:42:13 AM

3. Do you honestly expect us to believe you are a "retired USMC Vietnam veteran"

Posted by: homer | Jun 5, 2013 10:48:30 AM

4. I don't support Manning because he is gay -- I couldn't care less about that. I support Manning because I support what he did, exposing the dark underbelly of our supposedly 'transparent 'government. Many people will disagree. Fine -- but don't belittle the support of Manning by claiming it is just some sexual charade. There are real political issues here and only a moron would focus on sexuality.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Jun 5, 2013 10:52:06 AM

5. I wish retired military guys were as angry about being lied into a war as they are about Bradley Manning. What about the chopper pilot who killed a reporter? We wouldn't have known about that if not for Manning. The govt thinks it has the right to keep this info from us. It lies to us about casualties and atrocities it commits. This country is run by the people and the people have a right to know what it does in our name. One brave man comes forward and tells us the truth and we torture and incarcerate him. Pentagon has said that no deaths are related to wiki leaks so why is he in jail still? He also leaked "classified info" that over a million people had access to. How is that classified or secret? Our military does not deserve the respect it craves. What war have we won lately? What do we have to show for all our billions wasted? I will say they sure do know how to rape and torture.

Posted by: Isaac | Jun 5, 2013 11:01:11 AM

6. I'm not sure the military is helping its case...but of course...they know the judge better than we do. Seems that someone who was threatening a supervisor in that way should just be removed from their job. That's what corporate American would have done.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jun 5, 2013 11:03:34 AM

7. Ohhh, gawd...corporate AmericA.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jun 5, 2013 11:04:15 AM

8. I don't think of him as a "treasonous dog" but I recognize the reality that most in the military do think that of him. Guess what folks...the military is not a "choose your own ethical adventure" kind of place. I don't think we should act like we want him thrown to the dogs, but neither do I think the gay community benefits by acting like he's some kind of hero, when he's not. A "noble whistlebower" could have at least tried to go about this without getting caught, and without seeming like he wanted to "aid the enemy" as they call it. He could have sent the files to the US media or to an anti-war congressperson. He seems like an insecure person who was manipulated by Adrian Lamo and the hackers community. (if you're really looking for a homophobic Judas in this case, look there; not at the military itself)

it's such an interesting case concerning the agency of gay people in the military. Whether you're male or female, femme or butch acting, you're going to be expected to play by the rules. If you don't like those rules, you're free not to join. He isn't being singled out because of who he is; though I'd hasten to point out the millions of ring wing commenters or bloggers calling him a "f-g traitor" are not some Army PR operation, they are the views of real middle 'murkans. The military would punish a former Naval Academy quarterback who did the same thing in _exactly the same way_. And they can't appear to be lenient with Manning (ironic name, even) just because he had "issues".

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jun 5, 2013 11:17:44 AM

9. Jeez, right wing. I'm having trouble waking up today!
    Perhaps I feel some personal connection to this case because I have gay friends who, and I'll just leave it at this, work in the US security establishment. I'm not angry at Manning himself, but it concerns me that he could be used as an example by the right to say "oh look, you can never trust them." Like I said, though the Iraq War might have been unjust, the military viewpoint is that the way you deal with that injustice is by leaving the military, or becoming an antiwar activist. We aren't ruled by a junta. You are free to protest against the military...from outside of it. But when you get a clearance you take an oath to honor it, and you sign a statement saying you know the consequences if you don't.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jun 5, 2013 11:24:26 AM

10. "...if you're thinking of doing something similar to what he did, DON'T."
    This is exactly what Manning's trial is meant to accomplish. If you are thinking of speaking truth to power, of blowing the whistle on wrong-doers in the government, of taking an ethical position that may run contrary to the status quo, then don't.
    There are laws to protect whistleblowers. Manning's trial threatens to overturn those Whistleblower protection laws.
    This is an extremely important trial and I hope Towleroad will continue to cover it.

Posted by: gwynethcornrow | Jun 5, 2013 11:46:04 AM

11. I just thought of a plot for the sequel to Powder.

Posted by: ripper | Jun 5, 2013 11:53:02 AM

12. I cannot believe the amount of sympathetic press time that this traitor (in the literal use of the word) is getting in the gay media. Folks, he's a TRAITOR! It doesn't matter what color of the rainbow he is, he put fellow soldiers in harm's way by handing over vast amounts of classified information to our nation's enemies. He is a traitor, and should be taken out and executed for his treason.

The fact that so many in the gay press are even covering this story, simply because he's gay, just reinforces the idea that gay people are self-absorbed hedonists who care only for themselves and "the cause". That the cause of "being gay" trumps every other concern, including that of our national security.

And we as a gay community wonder why there are still so many who don't trust us? It's because of stuff like this, where too many power-brokers in our community are sympathetic to obvious traitors.

Posted by: Jon | Jun 5, 2013 12:01:21 PM

13. @Jon "And we as a gay community wonder why there are still so many who don't trust us?" WTF? I am gay and I never wonder why people don't trust us. If somebody doesn't trust me because I am gay that person can go to hell. Also, the Pentagon cannot connect one loss of life with the wiki leaks/Manning debacle. And don't you think the drone strikes that kill innocent people, including children, do more to put our troops in danger than leaking material that over a million people had access to?

Posted by: Isaac | Jun 5, 2013 12:22:20 PM

14. "And we as a gay community wonder why there are still so many who don't trust us?"

Manning is trans, not gay. Those are 2 very different things.

Posted by: David | Jun 5, 2013 12:24:52 PM

15. Lol! She looks great! Prison life is working out well for the deceitful, dishonorable creep. Can't wait for her to start her lengthy sentence of hard labor confinement.

You will werq it girl!!

Posted by: Taffy | Jun 5, 2013 12:29:07 PM

16. Love him and wish him the best..It ain't easy fighting the system!
    =)

Posted by: George F | Jun 5, 2013 12:35:55 PM

17. "Also, the Pentagon cannot connect one loss of life with the wiki leaks/Manning debacle."

You fail to understand that this is not the way the military thinks. He broke the rules - end of discussion. That's all they care about.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jun 5, 2013 12:36:02 PM

18. gwynethcornrow:

99.9% of what he leaked had nothing to do with any alleged wrongdoing of any kind. He leaked 250,000 diplomatic cables from around the world, and didn't even read what he was leaking.

The whistleblower laws don't apply to the military and don't legalize the criminal disclosure of confidential information, and Manning is not using the whistleblower laws in his defense. You just don't know what you are talking about, do you?

Posted by: Ben | Jun 5, 2013 12:37:15 PM

19. I hope the little fwad kills himself and saves us the trouble of executing him.

Posted by: David Hearne | Jun 5, 2013 12:44:12 PM

20. i applaud him for exposing the war crimes of our military industrial complex.

i hope he is getting sunlight. vit d deficiency you dont wanna eff with (although many of us *are* vit d insufficient or outright deficient)

Posted by: redball | Jun 5, 2013 12:53:23 PM

21. @Ben:
    Regarding military whistleblower protection laws, I believe you are the one who doesn't know what they are talking about. See Title 10, U.S.C Section 1034.

You also seem clueless regarding what was leaked.

It would be great to read Ari Ezra Waldman's opinion on this case.

Posted by: gwynethcornrow | Jun 5, 2013 1:02:56 PM

22. Rick....I mean David Hearne (it's the same person, so id doesn't really matter which alias I'm addressing): we already know you are ignorant, homophobic, misogynistic, and generally THE WORST, but you've outdone yourself. The only fwad who should kill himself is you. We'd be so happy if you did. It's not like anyone would miss you.

Posted by: MateoM | Jun 5, 2013 1:18:29 PM

23. I'm sorry, but there is no other word for this man than "traitor." During war time, he released classified information that he was responsible for. There is NO excuse whatsoever for his actions. I am gay, I am a vet, and I find this man an embarrassment to everything we've been striving for. Until Manning, almost all the traitors have been straight guys, but Manning takes the title for the biggest due to the volume of information put out. Does anyone remember the Marine Guard in our Moscow embassy who took his Russian girlfriend on a nighttime tour of the embassy, even into classified areas? Turns out she was a KGB agent and he was destroyed. While I am NOT a supporter of cruel and unusual punishment, like making him appear at roll call nude, etc., he does deserve whatever sentence he gets. He ought to be thankful they are not seeking the death sentence.

Posted by: John Simpson | Jun 5, 2013 2:25:11 PM

24. @gwynethcornrow:

Thanks for the citation to the federal statute. It proves my point that the statute does not apply to this case and does not protect an unlawful leak of the sort that Manning has admitted to:

"(1) No person may restrict a member of the armed forces in communicating with a Member of Congress or an Inspector General.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to a communication that is unlawful."

If Manning had contacted a member of Congress the IG's office or other members of the armed forces, this law might apply. He didn't. And it doesn't. That is why he isn't even attempting to raise it as a defense in his trial.

Posted by: Ben | Jun 5, 2013 2:39:15 PM

25. guess im one of the few that's undecided about this, not knowing the details very well

but is it possible to vociferously disagree with someone, even thinking they're a terrible person, without telling them to kill themselves or fellate a shotgun or whatever?

encouraging suicide, whether in kids or adults, is nasty business and obliterates your message

Posted by: gomez | Jun 5, 2013 2:39:20 PM