Darren Criss | News

BigGayDeal.com

Darren Criss Finally Met His 'Boyfriend': PHOTO

Criss

An 8-year-old with a well-documented (by his mother) crush on Darren Criss got to meet his "boyfriend" in Chicago:

Eventually, the time did pass, and we were brought up to meet him. My kiddo was so nervous and anxious that he was practically jumping out of his skin. And then he was there, and my son met his first love. It was adorable. Darren Criss was charming and lovely, and my son was so shy but happy. As for their conversation, that's not really mine to share. Maybe someday, when my kid is older, he'll write about it, but until then, it remains as it should be: between him and Darren.

When it was my turn to talk, I found my normally sure-spoken self decidedly absent. What could I say to this young man who meant so much to my kid, this young man who, by playing a television character, had helped lead my son to tell me about his orientation and, by extension, helped change the trajectory of my own life toward activism? "Thank you" felt so insufficient, but it was all I had.

Comments

1. That is so well-stated, so humble, and the incident so unutterably sweet and kindly. Nice to see.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 12, 2013 12:23:29 PM

2. Darren seems like a good-natured guy. I saw him relatively close when he was in Chicago a couple of years back for the annual Market Days performance. Prior to when he actually got up on stage he was roaming through the crowd when a flash mob broke out I believe in his honor. He was all smiles and recorded it on his phone. He's really cute and talented too!

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Jun 12, 2013 12:28:15 PM

3. This made my day. Thanks.

Posted by: Ben Nevis | Jun 12, 2013 12:32:05 PM

4. Beautiful!

Posted by: Rad | Jun 12, 2013 12:33:30 PM

5. My parents tell me that as early as kindergarten, I got crushes on other boys (my age, in my case). That's just where my emotional orientation was, and where -- with additions -- it remains.

Tell me your "lifestyle choice" arguments again; I'd like to have a good laugh.

Posted by: Soren456 | Jun 12, 2013 12:34:36 PM

6. THIS is why it's good to have all types of people represented in media including TV. Don't let those who would seek to narrow the definition of the US, or humanity for that fact, win. There are other people, including children, finding their way in life who need to see people like them.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | Jun 12, 2013 12:40:39 PM

7. When is Darren Criss coming out already?

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Jun 12, 2013 12:43:12 PM

8. 8 YO. Wow. He has nerve to spare. He is my new hero.

Posted by: jleo71 | Jun 12, 2013 12:45:57 PM

9. What a real gentleman Darren Criss is.
    It was sensitive of him to make this kid feel special.....as he is.
    Just wonderful.....
    A boy with a crush on another is sweet and magical.

As for orientation.......my first crush was at school, I was 5, so was he. And I can see him now ! Oh, I knew; I just didn't have the understanding or the words as to what was going on.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jun 12, 2013 12:53:49 PM

10. We need more mom's like this lady. This kid is lucky on two counts.

Posted by: Voet | Jun 12, 2013 12:55:38 PM

11. Dang. Got something in my eye.

But srsly, Darren Criss seems to be a wonderful human being. How great that we have such a strong straight ally. (AlanBrickman, not everybody who's fabulous is gay. Deal with it.)

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Jun 12, 2013 1:00:39 PM

12. It takes a sweet and warmhearted guy to go as far as Darren does for his fans -- of all ages and types. I couldn't care less whether he's gay or straight, just like he doesn't seem to care whether other people are.

I do agree as well, that kid has a great mom.

Posted by: sparks | Jun 12, 2013 1:06:45 PM

13. I love that the mom said, "as for the conversation, that's not really mine to share."

More parents should recognize that kids should get to make these decisions, when they're ready.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Jun 12, 2013 1:11:15 PM

14. Really sweet. If you haven't read the backgroud to this story, it's really worth it!

Posted by: John P. | Jun 12, 2013 1:23:04 PM

15. Mother of the Year!!

Posted by: Rob | Jun 12, 2013 1:24:56 PM

16. Now this...just made my day. Awesome.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Jun 12, 2013 1:39:53 PM

17. I started to grumble to myself in that going on 40 sorta way: "How could a kid as young as 8 have a crush on some TV guy? That 8 yr old has no idea what a crush even means!" Then, for one of the first times in a long time, I read these comments and was reminded of my first boycrush. He was in my first grade class and I wanted to be his best friend and I wanted to be around him all the time. Nothing untoward at that age, I just liked him so much!

I applaud this kid, his mom and Darren Criss. And thank you commenters (especially Soren456) for reminding me that the heart wants what it wants and for me to stop being so damned cynical!

Posted by: DLRnATL | Jun 12, 2013 1:54:07 PM

18. I also LOVE Darren and this makes it even better. So proud of the kid, Darren and also LOVE this mom. The world need many, many, many more like her.

Posted by: Jaysonn | Jun 12, 2013 2:12:40 PM

19. I am a little unnerved about the word 'boyfriend' in this case but still gotta love Darren reaching out to a fan like that.

Posted by: Sam | Jun 12, 2013 2:18:29 PM

20. I'm just grateful that this wasn't one of those dreadful "Make A Wish" sob stories.

Posted by: mikeflower | Jun 12, 2013 2:36:49 PM

21. This mom is the definition of what a parent should be. She is unconditionally loving her son and getting involved in his life now, so that he will not have it so hard later. I love that even though we still are struggling for our equality, our safety, and even our lives right now; some of our kids are able to live free and open even at the age of 8. Love it!!!

Posted by: THurts | Jun 12, 2013 3:15:57 PM

22. I live in SF and have crossed paths with his family. He's a very nice, low-key guy with great values. btw, he plays the violin, guitar, piano, and drums. Very talented.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Jun 12, 2013 3:30:55 PM

23. go pinoy go we all love u!

Posted by: iban4yesu | Jun 12, 2013 5:01:24 PM

24. Beautiful. This kid will grow up surrounded by love. Thank you to this lady and and her husband for being loving, caring, supportive with this wonderful... this even brought some tears to my eyes...

Posted by: ElCid | Jun 12, 2013 5:06:19 PM

25. I don't think Darren is gay. He's used us as a stepping stone.

Posted by: Jake | Jun 12, 2013 6:19:32 PM