Discrimination | Idaho | News | Republican Party

Idaho GOP Official Wants LGBT Anti-Bias Ordinances Invalidated So Gays Won't Come to Work in Tutus

The Republican Party of Idaho is not happy that a growing number of municipalities have banned discrimination against gay people and have passed a resolution urging the legislature to invalidate them, the Spokesman Review reports:

RasorSix Idaho cities have passed such non-discrimination ordinances in the past year and a half, and a seventh, Idaho Falls, is looking into one now; the Idaho GOP wants them halted.

The party central committee’s resolution isn’t binding on the Legislature, which is 81 percent Republican. “It’s a way for the people to make their expressions known to the Legislature,” said Idaho Republican Chairman Barry Peterson. “We let ‘em know that this is the way that the majority of the party feels.”

And to give you an example of the kind of archaic stereotypes their bigotry is based on you don't have to read too far:

Cornel Rasor (pictured), a former Bonner County commissioner and chairman of the Idaho GOP’s resolutions committee, said, “I’d hire a gay guy if I thought he was a good worker. But if he comes into work in a tutu … he’s not producing what I want in my office.” ...

Comments

1. He's about as straight as Lindsey Graham and Alan Chambers

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 18, 2013 12:25:39 PM

2. I'm sorry, boys and girls, but as long as I've been around (which is a long time), I'm continually amazed at the neanderthal thinking among, primarily, male GOPers about sex and sexuality - whether it be the LGBT community or women & reproduction. Where in the hell do these good ol' boys get their bigoted and/or unscientific ideas (even those who are, for God's sake, physicians)? It's both appalling and laughable.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Jun 18, 2013 12:31:17 PM

3. “If a guy has a particular predilection and keeps it to himself, that’s fine,” Rasor said. “But if he wants to use my business as a platform for his lifestyle, why should I have to subsidize that? And that’s what these anti-discrimination laws do.”

The best argument I've ever heard for not hiring/firing evangelical Christians. Why should I let my business be a platform for their depraved lifestyle?

Posted by: Jonathan | Jun 18, 2013 12:32:17 PM

4. Cornel Rasor = Assembly of God church. He has 3 tater-tots and 14 grand-tater-tots. Gotta wonder what he has against tutus.

Posted by: RobertR | Jun 18, 2013 12:48:01 PM

5. Gay Face.

Posted by: SFshawn | Jun 18, 2013 12:48:24 PM

6. Time to stop eating Idaho Potatoes! That's their bread & butter. It's time to fight back and protect GLBT unfortunatly growing up in Idaho. Idaho Potatoes caused bigotry... or better yet ban Idaho potatoes from being sold in your neighborhood.

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin the bleacher Preacher | Jun 18, 2013 12:52:31 PM

7. I'm sure the infamous gay tutu troupe is packing the U-Haul and rushing to that gay paradise Idaho right now. Better hide under your bed, Cornel, they're coming to sodomize you cause you look so delicious!

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 18, 2013 12:54:21 PM

8. I notice a lot of these truly batsh*t crazy evangelical loons are out of one of the sparsely populated western states. I assume this is because these groups have deliberately targeted these locales for a sort of take over due to their tiny populations, which makes it much easier and less expensive. They then use their state positions to make a scene on the national stage.

Far left 'progressives' likewise targeted a small, entirely rural state with a tiny population, Vermont, for the same reasons.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 18, 2013 12:54:25 PM

9. Gee, now where could this asshat have gotten the idea that being gay has something to do with dressing up in a tutu?

I'll give you a hint: It has 4 letters and the last letter is T.

Posted by: Tim | Jun 18, 2013 12:56:33 PM

10. I think the Idaho Republican State Central Committee needs to look at the United States Supreme Court case known as Romer v. Evans from 1996. In the 6-3 decision the court ruled that a Colorado state constitutional amendment that tried to do exactly what the committee is proposing was unconstitutional.

I'm sure that members of the Idaho Republican State Central Committee are intelligent people and know this is not legal in the United States. By doing this they are diverting attention from other issues. What do they not want the people to pay attention to?

Posted by: BInama | Jun 18, 2013 1:01:27 PM

11. Tim, it's not the fault of transpeople that you're a closet coward with no balls.

LGBT doesn't mean "we're all exactly the same" - it means we stand together to work together to tear down a system of prejudice and bigotry.

seriously, you closeted trolls should chug dran-o. you're as useful as tits on a fish and markedly less appealing.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 18, 2013 1:01:59 PM

12. He is ALMOST as heterosexual as Richard Simmons.....almost.

Posted by: Cam | Jun 18, 2013 1:03:34 PM

13. Gosh, you mean I can't wear @ssless chaps to the office?! Who knew?

Oh, yeah. That sort of thing is covered by common sense and employee manuals, so that has fvck-all to do with anything.

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 18, 2013 1:08:01 PM

14. does he also believe the same way for pro-choice workers? does he tell his anti-choice workers to shut up when they talk about their stand?

i mean, if you are going to be fair, you have to treat all of them the same. right?

Posted by: mike/ | Jun 18, 2013 1:10:07 PM

15. you mean i CAN'T just sit on a dildo at any old time at the office? wow, who knew?

this is like when DADT was on the table for repeal and rather than talk honestly about it, the Rick Santorums of the country were saying "Why should gay men be allowed to have orgies in the shower???"

uh...what?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 18, 2013 1:10:31 PM

16. I think it should read "The party's central committee’s resolution...."

OK. Moving on, with or without correct possessive, the whole thing reads like something out of the now-demised Soviet Union! The Party's Central Committee! THIS is what the Republican Party, the GOP has become--a lock-step, totalitarian, no-think, rigid, orthodox ideology that will brook NO dissent from the official "party line".

It's disgusting and anybody who is or will consider voting for any Republican in any race any where in this country in the next however many years needs to have their damned fool heads examined!

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 18, 2013 1:13:01 PM

17. "Gee, now where could this asshat have gotten the idea that being gay has something to do with dressing up in a tutu?

I'll give you a hint: It has 4 letters and the last letter is T."

IDIOT has 5 letters, Tim.

Well, ratbastard, better that VT be "targeted" by progressives than by right-wing loons, though the current VT political leadership is mostly made up of native VTers like myself, who weren't exactly conservative before the leftist flatlanders supposedly took over. My hometown did, however, have an invasion of anarchist Italians a century ago.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 18, 2013 1:14:56 PM

18. Geez...what's that old saying..."Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

What's next with his idiot stereotypes? No Blacks because the watermelon & fried chicken makes their keyboards too messy?

Posted by: DaveTN | Jun 18, 2013 1:16:36 PM

19. The Rethuglicans are all for local control of government except when they're not.

If the local city wants equality, then all local control of laws must be stopped.

Posted by: Continuum | Jun 18, 2013 1:19:55 PM

20. "Why should gay men be allowed to have orgies in the shower???" uh...what?

Because that's what they'd do if *they* were gay, but they're not, but if they were, mmmmm, they'd have not stop solder-sex. But no, they're not gay. No sirree bob. And this Cornel Rasor would sure wear a tutu if he were gay, he's not, but if he were...

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jun 18, 2013 1:22:33 PM

21. @Tim: But your name ends with an "m", not a "T". Explain.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 18, 2013 1:24:16 PM

22. Funny, I've been gay for 48 years and I've never once worn a tutu.........to work.

Posted by: Joseph | Jun 18, 2013 1:27:00 PM

23. He's just jealous because his tutu days are over.

Posted by: kdknyc | Jun 18, 2013 1:28:57 PM

24. I can see his issue....seeing as how all those straight people come to work with their shirts off and painted in some kind of sports team theme; or straight women coming to work in hooker outfits. Why extend that kind of thing to gays? (I feel the need to add *snark* here so everyone knows where I'm coming from). Actually, I've worked for the City of West Hollywood--the gayest of gay working environments-- and never once in all my time there did I EVER see an employee arrive in a tutu...not even on Holloween or Pride Day. This is paranoiac fear at its best. There's no reason or history for it. See a shrink, pop a valium and feel better, dearie.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Jun 18, 2013 1:30:49 PM

25. The supreme court's Colorado Amendment 2 decision probably applies here, making the proposed law unconstitutional.

Posted by: anon | Jun 18, 2013 1:32:36 PM