Basketball | Gay Slurs | Jason Collins | News | Sports

NBA Player Uses Anti-Gay Slur During Press Conference

Indiana Pacers center Roy Hibbert faces a possible fine after he dropped the phrase "no homo" during a post-game press conference yesterday.

HbbertSports Illustrated reports.

The momentum could have shifted right there if [James] got an easy dunk,” Hibbert said. “There was what ‑‑ was it Game 3 here? I really felt that I let Paul down in terms of having his back when LeBron was scoring in the post or getting to the paint, because they stretched me out so much. No homo.”

That two-word phrase was popularized by rappers who, according to Slate, used it to “rid [statements] of possible homosexual double-entendre” and, generally speaking, to ”acknowledge and distance themselves” from homosexuals.

In the league’s official transcript of Hibbert’s news conference, which was conducted jointly with George and streamed live on NBA.com, the words were replaced by “(Expletive).”

He also bashed the media in an expletive-laden rant in that same press conference

When Jason Collins came out this past April, Hibbert told the Journal Courier that he was supportive of openly gay players in the NBA:

“I have no problem with openly gay men. More power to them. We live in a day in age where people are more accepting as opposed to years ago. [Collins] and his family may have some adversity in the coming days and weeks, but I have no problem with it.”

Hibbert has not yet issued a response but late last night, tweeted this message to Collins: "Hey can I get a follow. Would like to discuss something's with you."

UPDATE: Hibbert has issued a statement through the Pacers' official website.

I am apologizing for insensitive remarks made during the postgame press conference after our victory over Miami Saturday night. They were disrespectful and offensive and not a reflection of my personal views. I used a slang term that is not appropriate in any setting, private or public, and the language I used definitely has no place in a public forum, especially over live television. I apologize to those who I have offended, to our fans and to the Pacers’ organization. I sincerely have deep regret over my choice of words last night.

Watch the moment Hibbert says "no homo" during the press conference, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Time for you militant nellies to get worked up over nothing! :)

Posted by: Casrane | Jun 2, 2013 11:24:51 AM

2. Yes Homo!

Posted by: kodiak | Jun 2, 2013 11:26:18 AM

3. "They stretched me out so much" .... sorry, I know we're supposed to be in an uproar over this, but I chuckled.

Posted by: ripper | Jun 2, 2013 11:29:40 AM

4. @ripper
    Had the same response.
    Wonder if anyone his pointed this odd sentence coupling out to him yet?

Like his statement backing Jason Collins.
    And the reach out after.

Posted by: JONES | Jun 2, 2013 11:37:52 AM

5. Fairly innocent.

Posted by: Mikey | Jun 2, 2013 11:43:40 AM

6. much ado about nothing

Posted by: Alan | Jun 2, 2013 11:45:34 AM

7. No big deal. Kind of amusing, actually.

But it's good to see that Towleroad no longer has writers on staff who argue that "no homo," as it is commonly used, is not an inherently homophobic statement.

Posted by: 24play | Jun 2, 2013 11:50:10 AM

8. This is a headline on espn.com. The fact that this makes news shows that we've made progress and people know that it isn't cool to causally drop gay slurs. Although, "no homo" is fairly innocent albeit stupid.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jun 2, 2013 11:56:08 AM

9. I'm not American but I don't think "No homo" is "innocent," "homo" to my knowledge is an anti-gay slur. I think it's as homophobic as "that's so gay."

Posted by: NewMarc | Jun 2, 2013 12:09:36 PM

10. Maybe someone should hold him down and spray him with perfume. That'll teach him.

Posted by: BearlyBob | Jun 2, 2013 12:27:11 PM

11. "Hibbert has not yet issued a response"

Yes, he has. He apologized using the "the words were disrespectful and offensive and not a reflection of my personal views" template. You know, he was just possessed by the "bad words spirit".

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jun 2, 2013 12:29:35 PM

12. *reader note: Ignore Rick the misogynist/fem-blaming troll, who will likely show up in this comments thread. Also ignore Little Kiwi, who refuses to ignore him and will post under his name*

Not 'offended' in the least (not worth the energy nor patience) but can we actually have a collective societal discussion about this terminology?

The (non-PC) implication's of this starting in the black male community, having since spread to 'straight' white guys of my millennial generation on the same cultural tide as 'that's so gay' but with no association amongst women pretty much AT ALL? You can literally cut the cultural fear of that perception amongst millennial straight guys with a knife it's so palpable.

The recently refueled culture waves of leering lipstick lesbianism and metrosexual bashing, combined with our already patriarchal sexual paradigm has contributed a lot (no I'm not the poster Jason) but I feel like this is the cultural cement wall in our continued advance in society. Thoughts?

Posted by: Leo | Jun 2, 2013 12:34:00 PM

13. I disagree with your premise, Brian. What it highlights is that "gay" is basically still an OMG issue, an issue that is sure to get people riled up on all sides, and make people talk. ESPN doesn't care about gay slurs; we know what happened with the whole Chris Broussard debacle. They like the drama incidents like this result in.

No homo ain't innocent...it's clearly homophobic. I'm not really offended by what Roy Hibbert said, I think he comes from a place of ignorance and maliciousness. But that doesn't make it OK, because it's not. I find that anyone who uses such a phrase is saying more about them than anything else.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Jun 2, 2013 12:38:33 PM

14. What a tempest in a teapot.

Slow news day.

Posted by: will | Jun 2, 2013 12:46:15 PM

15. @24play. um yeah it's an inherently homophobic comment. obviously.

Posted by: gomez | Jun 2, 2013 12:49:49 PM

16. In my oppinion this is a case of being used to a (derogative) expression, than a case of real homophobia

Posted by: jjose712 | Jun 2, 2013 12:52:38 PM

17. I REFUSE to become a "professionally outraged" gay man, offended by every politically incorrect throwaway remark that comes down the pike!

You dull, dull, dull people.

Posted by: will | Jun 2, 2013 12:53:02 PM

18. Rephrase this and it's basically a Tobias joke on Arrested Development.

Posted by: Marcus | Jun 2, 2013 12:58:05 PM

19. Roy's apology was nice. He reached out to Jason Collins too over twitter, which is a bit silly, but his heart is in the right place, at least.

Leo......yes, straight guys don't want to be seen as gay. They don't want to be thought of as gay. Only truly secure straight men couldn't care less about how others perceive their sexuality, their masculinity. It's not even, in all cases, straight-up hatred and maliciousness against gay men. But anyone who thinks to use a phrase like no homo in the back of their head has a mentality that being straight is superior or that being gay is shameful.

I won't say much more but it's going to take a while for this attitude to change. People may accept us for being gay but that doesn't mean they accept us as their equal.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Jun 2, 2013 12:58:12 PM

20. he apologized. move on.

Posted by: dattexas | Jun 2, 2013 12:58:56 PM

21. gomez: Last year Towleroad's weekend guy (Brandon K. Thorpe, if I recall correctly) was actually arguing on here that "no homo" is not necessarily homophobic, that it depends on the situation.

Posted by: 24play | Jun 2, 2013 1:01:30 PM

22. But I say No Homo aaand No Hetero all the time!

Posted by: Rex | Jun 2, 2013 1:02:28 PM

23. I get that there's a swath of the community hell-bent on reclaiming terminology for the sake of a pseudo-semantics non-PC victory, but I REFUSE to pretend that the context isn't there for "fa*" or "no homo" or the like (only starred to avoid it all being censored fyi). I'm not offended by it, but some ppl DARE to tell someone what they can and can't be offended by when they don't know if those words were used upon that person while they were physically beaten as a high schooler (for example), leaving emotional scars attached to the term for decades? The sheer arrogance and narcissism by those in that semantics army is astounding.

Posted by: Leo | Jun 2, 2013 1:13:37 PM

24. Why is it that when these bigots "apologize", they have to say,"it does not reflect what is in my heart" or words to that effect? Excuse me, but isn't that what words are supposed to do? Express what is in our hearts/minds? I just suddenly said a whole paragraph of words that has no connection to my thoughts? Please!

Posted by: Reggie | Jun 2, 2013 1:19:01 PM

25. I don't see this as homophobic in a true sense of the word. I live in the south and I can promise you that smart educated fair minded people who aren't truly prejudiced say the n word on occasion. I know because I've seen it done and even done it myself.

Posted by: Dan | Jun 2, 2013 1:19:42 PM