Alaska | News | Whales

BigGayDeal.com

Orca Pays Surprise Visit to Alaskan Fishermen: VIDEO

Orca

A group of Alaskan fishermen get the reminder that nature is much bigger than they are.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Related...
The Documentary Sea World Doesn't Want You to See [tlrd]
Pod of Orcas Eyes a Small Fishing Boat Near Denmark: VIDEO [tlrd]
Orcas Chasing a Speedboat [tlrd]

Comments

1. The whale had bitten the bait-- so why didn't the fisherman try to reel him in? He could have thrown him back in if he didn't want to kill him.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 13, 2013 3:01:12 PM

2. One of the youTube commentors said something brilliant, 'You know the orca took that fish - just for the halibut.'

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jun 13, 2013 3:23:52 PM

3. @ Derrick

1: Not everything is meant to be used as sport by humans.
    2: There is no way that regular fishing line could hold a whale.
    3: You don't know if the boat could handle a fish that size.
    4: Why kill it? Just to show off the dead body?

And, mainly,

5: Leave the Orca alone. We share this planet. Have some respect.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Jun 13, 2013 3:32:13 PM

4. @ gr8guyca

Do you really mean a regular fishing line couldn't handle that little ol' fish? Why'd he go whale fishing then (I say using my best Lorelei Lee impersonation)

Maybe I should've put one of those ":-)" after my comment.

@ Leroy,

thanks for the "halibut" laugh.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 13, 2013 3:48:12 PM

5. @ Derrick from Philly: nobody says anything about whale hunting. Have you ever seen people hunting whale? They certainly don't use a rod and some bait like that.

Posted by: jeremyrain | Jun 13, 2013 4:02:28 PM

6. Oh, my God, another one.

IT WAS MEANT AS A JOKE, jeremyrain!

But now you got me feeling guilty. The next time I see a whale swimming up the Delaware River I promise not to hurt him...or her.

But if some day I should decide to go fishing...I mean, mammaling for whales do you think I could use regular earth worms as bait? Or would I need to use an anaconda? Huh?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 13, 2013 4:18:56 PM

7. LOL it took me a minute and a few re-reads to figure out that they actually didn't realize Derrick's comment was a joke.

Did ya'll really think he expected the dude to reel an orca into the boat and throw him back in? /facepalm

Posted by: sparks | Jun 13, 2013 4:43:28 PM

8. Orca: thanks for the hors d'oeuvre, guys!

Posted by: anon | Jun 13, 2013 4:51:41 PM

9. @ SPARKS,

Thank you. I was amazed. To be accused of being a whale-basher. I love whales. Some of my best friends look like whales. I've got family members who are built like whales (big ol' cousins down South). If I don't stop drinking all this booze I'll have a belly like whale's. How could I be against whales?

Look, I appreciate the efforts of animal protection activists, and so I will never make another whale joke on this blog again.

Just one last thing...F.CKIN' FREE WILLY!!!!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 13, 2013 5:22:30 PM

10. "There's my ring?" Does he point that out so the orca won't hit on him? lol

Posted by: Nick | Jun 13, 2013 6:26:09 PM

11. @Nick lol I'm pretty sure he was trying to throw in some personally identifying feature so nobody else could lay claims on the video. Fast thinking, in light of what he had just seen.

Posted by: sparks | Jun 13, 2013 7:25:57 PM

12. I am stunned, Derrick, that you of all people would make light of the cruelty inflicted on whales by thoughtless fishermen, who only care about the thrill of killing.

Posted by: MateoM | Jun 13, 2013 9:11:21 PM

13. I'm just surprised that Derrick didn't go on another tirade calling the fishermen racists for going after the (mostly) black whale.

Posted by: sean | Jun 13, 2013 9:38:13 PM

14. Actually Miss sean I'm surprised you didn't go on a tirade about race. Derrick usually answerS your bigoted racist statements!

Si$$Y!

Posted by: sean you queen | Jun 14, 2013 1:11:19 AM

15. "Just for the halibut." Good one!

Posted by: Martin Haro | Jun 14, 2013 9:44:09 AM

16. Derrick, I got the joke and thought it was tres funny. Too bad everyone else here suffers from "serious sister syndrome".

Lighten up, boys!