Pope Francis Says ‘Gay Lobby’ Exists Within Vatican

Pope Francis has admitted the existence of a "gay lobby" within the Vatican, AFP reports:

FrancisBack in February Italian media claimed that a secret report by cardinals investigating the leaks included allegations of corruption and blackmail attempts against gay Vatican clergymen, and on the other hand, favouritism based on gay relationships.

"In the Curia, there are truly some saints, but there is also a current of corruption," the pope is quoted as having said during an audience last week with CLAR (the Latin American and Caribbean Confederation of Religious Men and Women).

"There is talk of a 'gay lobby' and it's true, it exists. We have to see what can be done," the 76-year-old pontiff is quoted as saying on the Reflection and Liberation website, which was flagged up by religious news agencies on Tuesday.

Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi told AFP: "It was a private meeting, I have no comment to make."

Previously…
Report: 'Gay Lobby' Within Vatican Influenced Pope's Resignation [tlrd]

Comments

1. tinkerbelle says

I can hardly imagine that this “gay lobby” hasn’t been in action for a very long time, and doesn’t include certain members that are probably very powerful. We’ll see what they do… I have a feeling this won’t go very far internally. Externally is another matter.

2. Tim S says

Of course there is a huge gay presence in the Vatican.

Why else would they purchase the largest gay spa in all of Europe, with several priests actually living there?

3. Onnyjay says

Delusional old queens in bad dresses (“Dahling, I love your drag, but your purse is on fire!” — attributed to Miss. T. Bankhead) do not constitute a gay lobby. Plus, wouldn’t Ratzinger (later Bendadick), the top queen under JP2, have been part of it? There has always been a gay subtext in Judaeo-Christianity (David and Jonathan, Jesus and John, Paul and Timothy) that the Vatican has tried to hide throughout history (e.g., Sixtus and Michaelangelo) and now the current wearer of the pointiest hat has decided it’s time to de-gay the place. Good luck with that, Frank, let us know how it turns out.

4. HadenoughBS says

And now we have the infallible Papist confirmation that “Mary” truly is an ongoing part of the story of Christianity (at least in the Vatican City version)! Grazie, Francis.

5. Rad says

Overheard and the last conclave, “…love the dress but does missy know his purse is on fire?”

6. anon says

It’s not established from the summary if the blackmail of priests by the gay lobby took place as was suspected back in Feb.

7. Caliban says

Please. The priesthood and convent have long been a dumping ground for gay Catholics. “You’re not interested in the opposite sex? Congratulations! You have a ‘calling!'”

Uh-huh. Right.

The LOWEST estimate I’ve ever seen of gay priests was 30%. More put it more like 50% and most of the are more than happy to work against the rights of others just like themselves.

8. Zeta says

Does he mean the gay lobby or the pedophile lobby?

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 11, 2013 2:05:32 PM

The problem is when non-gays see both as one and the same. No one cares whom adults screw. Mix up same sex relationships with child-adult relationships, and now there’s a problem.

9. Zeta says

@Caliban, I’d like to see sources for those numbers. That’s too much like taking prison sex at face value. Why do men and women engage in homosexual/lesbian relationships when they’re surrounded by nothing but the same gender? Is it because they’re homosexual/lesbian? No, it’s because you take your opportunities where you find them.

I always figured people entered the Church for many reasons: Power, Influence, an Escape, Familial Pressure (especially those old families with many sons where each son had a pre-determined lot in life). Some even enter the Church because they have a bonafide calling.

But entering the Church as homosexual outlet? That doesn’t make sense, unless one wants to take claims of ‘they only breed by corrupting the young’ seriously. And that’s a dangerous path to take.

10. St. Pogo says

New Pope to old Pope: “We have found the enemy, and it’s us.”

The call is coming from inside the house.

11. ratbastard says

Where do the gay plotters meet? Do they have a special hand shake? Gang sign? Colors [and don’t say rainbow or pink,pls]?r

12. MateoM says

This other MateoM sure is obsessed with me. Does that make me the new Kiwi? I assume it’s ratbastard or Rick posting as me. Either way, I’m truly flattered that you think of me so frequently.

13. MateoM says

14. dan cobb says

Wow… a GAY LOBBY in the Vatican?

Given the Vatican’s consistently virulent
    anti-gay stances, that “gay lobby” in the Vatican must be the most ineffective lobby on the face of the earth!

“Gay Lobby”…. impossible.

I think what the Pope is doing is vilifying plain ol’ gays in the church as “a lobby”. The Pope, as usual, is vile.

15. millerbeach says

What about the pedophile lobby, Pope Francis? You know, those pedophiles are going to ruin the church. Why don’t you call out those pedophiles and the priest who protect them? Pedophiles hurt their young victims. They are criminals, gays are not. Do you not realize this? Do you hate children, too? Fix the pedophile problem, then you can worry about other things. If you don’t fix the pedophile problem, it WILL consume the church, you will be out of a job, and those gay guys might not seem so bad after all….

16. Gigi says

Too bad the “gay lobby” isn’t interested in helping The Gays, just themselves. My best friend used to date a priest who is quite high up in the RCC. What a bunch of nasty bitches they are.