Military | News | Prince Harry | United Kingdom

BigGayDeal.com

Prince Harry Saved Fellow Soldier From Anti-Gay Incident

Openly gay soldier Lance Corporal James Wharton developed a strong friendship with Prince Harry during their time in the military. In an upcoming memoir, Wharton recounts a frightening anti-gay episode in 2008 in which the ginger-haired prince boldly came to his rescue after he was threatened by a group of fellow soldiers.

Harry

Wharton writes:

Standing in front of me were six extremely angry infantry sergeants. ‘Have you been spreading rumours about our Martin?’ I was asked.

I didn’t even know his name. ‘Why have you been lying? He’s no faggot!’

This was turning into a bit of a situation. Danny told them everything he’d seen and to back off. Under huge pressure I went back to my vehicle to find Prince Harry.

‘Sir, I need to talk to you.’ ‘Why? What’s up? Are you OK?’

Harry instantly looked concerned. I told him: ‘I think I’m about to be murdered by the infantry.’

I climbed into the turret and talked Harry through exactly what had happened. He had a complete look of bewilderment on his face.

I didn’t hold back: I told him everything that had gone on. I couldn’t stop the tears from welling up in  my eyes. He said: ‘Right. I’m going to sort this s*** out once and for all.’

Harry climbed out of the tank and started having a go. I worried he was about to make the whole thing worse, but he wasn’t holding back. Prince Harry was sticking up for me and putting a stop to the trouble. I had been on track for a battering and had been rescued.

He came back ten minutes later and told me the problem had  been ‘sorted’. He told me: ‘I knew one of his officers and we cleared everything up. I also told those other lads to back the f*** off, too.’

The two friends even discussed the popularity of Harry and his brother William in the gay community.

WhartonHarry mentioned that he and his brother had been informed some time ago that they were both gay icons, which made me laugh.

He replied: ‘What? What? We are!’

‘I don’t think you are, sir!’ I said.

‘Why? We are! Our press people told us!’ Harry insisted.

I said: ‘Honestly, I’m sure you’re not .  .  .’

And he replied: ‘Is it because I’m f***ing ginger?’

Dan giggled, Harry laughed and we returned to the task at hand.

Read the full excerpt from Wharton's book, courtesy of the Daily Mail, here.

You can watch Wharton's "It Gets Better" video from a couple of years ago, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Not knowing the princes being the gay icon, 5 demerit points deducted from his gay card.

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Jun 9, 2013 8:15:14 AM

2. ah jamie boy, i don't know about ICON, but objects of lust, especially the ginger, most definitely.

Posted by: bandanajack | Jun 9, 2013 8:18:59 AM

3. Between so many Gays dying during Diana's time, and our community having no concept of Elders, it's not surprising that a 20-something gay man has no idea that anything associated with Diana is automatically a gay icon.

I honestly don't know what fact is saddest in the above statement...

Posted by: Zac Morris | Jun 9, 2013 8:54:27 AM

4. How Harry reacted was wonderful. Icon, not sure, but a supporter and handsome guy for sure.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 9, 2013 9:21:50 AM

5. ‘Is it because I’m f***ing ginger?’
    Love ya Harry!

Posted by: JONES | Jun 9, 2013 9:29:41 AM

6. Besides doing their mother and country proud, Ginger never looked more delectable than in such instants of casual heroism.

Listening to this Bieber and all of the attention hungry Hollywood "royalty B.S."?

THIS is how you pull rank and go on a power trip.

Posted by: Maguitac | Jun 9, 2013 9:47:54 AM

7. Harry's a hero! A good guy. Handsome as hell, too. He's got a great sense of humor!

Posted by: Geoff | Jun 9, 2013 10:11:17 AM

8. Amazing how Diana still lives through her children.

Posted by: Tom | Jun 9, 2013 10:48:06 AM

9. Some gingers and daywalkers are hot. I love red hair. Redheads, brunettes are my favorite hair colors. Once dated a guy with red hair and brown eyes. Very unusual combination. He was a hottie.

Other than that, the story is a little bizarre.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 9, 2013 11:08:32 AM

10. Not an Icon? Then why is he talked about here every month? ICON

Posted by: Javier | Jun 9, 2013 11:36:28 AM

11. Dear Prince Harry:

Yes, sir. It is because you are f***ing ginger! Also, you are a right good sport and you have an incredible bum.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 9, 2013 11:53:58 AM

12. Icon? Meh. This story does put him in much higher steed, though, although of course he was already loved by many a gay man before we knew of this story.

Prince Harry is a cool dude. He seems totally at ease with himself and knows who he is. Doesn't take himself too serious. And he's clearly very comfortable with his sexuality. Of course, the red hair adds to his adorableness. Good on Harry for standing up for his fellow soldier and friend.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Jun 9, 2013 12:23:27 PM

13. This guy caused his problems by thinking with his johnson and then kissing and telling. We've seen those types before. The ones who run their mouths for drama's sake. Never mind the other guy. Out or not, gay or not, maybe he didn't want a reputation as being easy. I wondered what abuse he suffered without PHG to save him. Then, not learning his lesson, this guy does it again the next night and tells PHG all about the next day. Sounds like a typical horn dog who has no decorum or respect for his partners.

Posted by: BearlyBob | Jun 9, 2013 1:02:59 PM

14. Uh yeah they are gay icons at least in the liquid dream department, maybe he was embarrassed to have been asked that point blank. Anyway That was really awesome of him to have helped him out.

What's up with Brits and discrimination against Gingers?? WTF Britain?! If y'all don't like them we'll take them off your hands gladly :)

Posted by: mike85 | Jun 9, 2013 1:29:05 PM

15. Actually, Bearly Bob, I think it sounds like he's just young--but it also sounds--if you read the WHOLE story--like he learned his lesson about "decorum and respect for his partners." I very much doubt that you never opened your mouth out of turn when you were his age. I don't know anyone who didn't--sometimes with bad--even seriously bad--consequences. Still, it's all part of growing up. Meanwhile, if you're so without mercy, I hope you're not raising children.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jun 9, 2013 1:42:27 PM

16. @DannyEastVillage

Expecting consequences for your actions is also part of growing up. I read the linked story. It's my opinion. If you don't like it, so be it. Your opinion is just as valid, but I fail to understand why you and others need to resort to personal attacks and condescending pedanticism when stating your opinions.

Posted by: BearlyBob | Jun 9, 2013 1:52:57 PM

17. @DannyEastVillage

Also, I'm not referring to the gay bashing he suffered at a later point. I was referring to Harry saving him from the drama he caused in his unit by running his mouth.

Posted by: BearlyBob | Jun 9, 2013 1:58:47 PM

18. BearlyBob, your comment was a condescending personal attack against the subject of the article, so don't be surprised when people take a similar tone when they address you.

Posted by: OddBet | Jun 9, 2013 2:45:08 PM

19. @Oddbet

Commenters who don't have anything to say about the article, just what other people have to say. Wow. Shocking.

Posted by: BearlyBob | Jun 9, 2013 2:55:03 PM

20. without the full story explaining who Danny is, using his name twice in this excerpt is pretty confusing.

Posted by: Andrew | Jun 9, 2013 4:02:45 PM

21. Is it true the gay trooper started it, by outing another gay man he was screwing, putting that other man's life in danger in the first place?

No one should be assaulted, but bragging about one's conquests is always in poor taste, especially when they're not out.

Posted by: Zeta | Jun 9, 2013 4:36:35 PM

22. This guy caused his problems by thinking with his johnson and then kissing and telling. We've seen those types before. The ones who run their mouths for drama's sake. Never mind the other guy. Out or not, gay or not, maybe he didn't want a reputation as being easy. I wondered what abuse he suffered without PHG to save him. Then, not learning his lesson, this guy does it again the next night and tells PHG all about the next day. Sounds like a typical horn dog who has no decorum or respect for his partners.

Posted by: BearlyBob | Jun 9, 2013 1:02:59 PM

I didn't see your post, but I have now. I completely agree with you, BearlyBob. The Trooper who started this should be as ashamed of himself as the straight guys who made the threats. It is not right, and it is not okay, to expose one's lovers.

The only reasons to do so are out of a sense of vindictiveness towards the lover, or out of a sense of masochism. What if the trooper who wrote this book gets off on 'being saved'? There are plenty of toxic people like that, as well, who instigate situations specifically for the drama.

Posted by: Zeta | Jun 9, 2013 4:40:01 PM

23. Harry's done some stupid things, but I think he has a real human perspective that I haven't seen in his brother, at least from the news.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 9, 2013 5:35:49 PM

24. Harry is a true prince in every sense of the word.

Posted by: jaragon | Jun 9, 2013 5:56:02 PM

25. This guy comes across as just another silly and vicious poof running her mouth and then turning on the waterworks when things go bad. Not exactly setting a good example.

Posted by: Tyler | Jun 9, 2013 6:52:03 PM