Dance | Film and TV | News | Nigel Lythgoe | Reality TV | Television

Ten Classic 'So You Think You Can Dance' Performances: VIDEOS

Sytycdmelneil

BY BOBBY HANKINSON

Summer TV staple So You Think You Can Dance reveals its Top 20 dancers tonight on FOX. Despite its uneven handling of LGBT performers and issues, the dance competition series has been a consistent source of breathtaking choreography.

Before we meet this season’s finalists, reacquaint yourself with some of the greatest performances from the show’s previous nine seasons.

More, AFTER THE JUMP...

Sabra and Neil, “Sweet Dreams”

Katee and Joshua, “No Air”

Twitch and Alex, “Outta Your Mind”

Courtney and Mark, “The Garden”

Danny and Anya, “Apologize”

Melanie and Neil, “Total Eclipse of the Heart”

Kayla and Kupono, “Gravity”

Brandon and Janette, “Loving Is Really My Game”

Robert and Allison, “Fix You”

Travis and Heidi, “Calling You”

Which performances would you add to this list?

Comments

1. Season 5 - This Woman's Work is my favorite! Also Blake's Body Language solo from Season 1, for completely different reasons.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 18, 2013 11:50:31 AM

2. "The Hummingbird and the Flower" was my all-time fave. I haven't watched the show in a few years, though. I just don't find the negativity inherent in the dance industry to be entertaining.

Posted by: daws | Jun 18, 2013 11:56:44 AM

3. I'l nominate Lacey & Danny's Samba to "Hip Hip, Chin Chin".

Posted by: abie | Jun 18, 2013 11:57:43 AM

4. You beat me to it, Michael. I am surprised that did not rank in the top 10. It was my personal favorite of all time really.

Posted by: Stephen Victor | Jun 18, 2013 11:58:02 AM

5. I have a love/hate opinion of this show. There is so much great choreography and dancing, but I hate the public dressing down the judges give some of the boys for not being "masculine enough", and the shrieking 14 y.o. girls in the audience who don't respect or understand "mood" when it comes to dance.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jun 18, 2013 12:01:39 PM

6. No Lacey and Kameron "Dancing"? All time fave

Posted by: Chris Baker | Jun 18, 2013 12:02:20 PM

7. Chelsea and Mark - Bleeding Love

Posted by: Chris Baker | Jun 18, 2013 12:03:30 PM

8. As far as group numbers - Mia Michael's "The Moment I Said It"

Posted by: Chris Baker | Jun 18, 2013 12:05:26 PM

9. A Woman's Worth

Posted by: Nick | Jun 18, 2013 12:06:05 PM

10. Wow...how could you not include Kent Boyd and Neil Haskell performing the Travis Wall routine. That was such a heart breaking routine about two guys breaking up.

Posted by: Todd | Jun 18, 2013 12:21:00 PM

11. Such a great trip down memory lane. Love this show. Still bitter that Neil Haskell didn't win his season.

For those of you not watching, this current season is shaping up to be pretty good. Great group of dancers and can't wait to see who makes it to the finale.

Posted by: AriesMatt | Jun 18, 2013 12:21:20 PM

12. Um... Neil & Kent 'How It Ends'.

Posted by: Chad | Jun 18, 2013 12:23:14 PM

13. With this show you can't just do top 10, though I can replace at least half of this top ten list with my own. This talent show is so much better than any of the singing contest. I just hope it will go on for a few more seasons. Agree with Ken and Neil, Lacey and Danny.

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Jun 18, 2013 12:25:25 PM

14. I find the robot moves very distracting. Dancing should be smooth and fluid and lithe and athletic. Sexy without being overtly sexual. Too many of these vignettes fail to meet that simple criteria.

Posted by: thepolarbeast | Jun 18, 2013 12:47:47 PM

15. @thepolarbeast

That's a narrow view if what dance should be. There are so many different types of dance, and even within each type different routines are created which utilize a range of movements and styles.

Posted by: TDSE | Jun 18, 2013 12:53:42 PM

16. The hummingbird and the Flower is by far the routine I remember most vividly. Although there have been other great routines as well

Posted by: Howard | Jun 18, 2013 1:43:11 PM

17. Definitely Lacey and Kameron's performance of "Dancing" by Elisa. Truly powerful.

Posted by: Joel | Jun 18, 2013 2:35:06 PM

18. I was hoping to see on this list the fun, athletic and sexy routine Neil and Kent did to a tune from 'Damn Yankees.' Great dancing AND baseball uniforms. Mmmm hmmm.

Posted by: Pervy McPerv | Jun 18, 2013 2:36:42 PM

19. Todd is right. Here it is:

Posted by: Randy | Jun 18, 2013 3:07:28 PM

20. Melanie and Allison are two of the most fearless and fearsome dancers. Nothing is ever phoned in with them.
    Kent melts my heart while Chehon heats it up.

Posted by: footwork61 | Jun 18, 2013 3:27:09 PM

21. I think this show is amazing. You gotta commit to it, and I will admit that I fast-forward through a lot of the show and BARELY care who wins. But what keeps my Tivo busy is the chance to see the one or two routines a year that move me to tears. I never felt an emotional connection to dance until I started watching this show. I was most surprised with an audition last year in "exorcist style" and how much it touched me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNHi7Wa7vpc

Posted by: mvecera | Jun 18, 2013 4:19:06 PM

22. Anything with Billy Bell--the man is to dance what Streisand is to vocal music, Spielberg is to film, "To Kill A Mockingbird" is to literature, and Van Gogh is to painting. There are no words to describe his body in flight.

Posted by: Dback | Jun 18, 2013 4:21:22 PM

23. This one should be top ten.....

Posted by: Jim Malloy | Jun 18, 2013 4:25:31 PM

24. One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Adechiké and Comfort's Falling: http://youtu.be/_qNVFn6F5fw

What a powerful performance. Especially by Comfort. So intense. I still get chills watching it.

Posted by: Jude | Jun 18, 2013 4:38:02 PM

25. Oh, and I'm sure we are forgetting at least one great choreography by Travis Wall. I just can't remember what it is.

Also, there's got to be more choreographies by Mia Michaels. My mind is completely blank right now. I'm sure I'll remember some later.

Posted by: Jude | Jun 18, 2013 4:41:00 PM