Ten Classic ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ Performances: VIDEOS

Sabra and Neil, “Sweet Dreams”

Katee and Joshua, “No Air”

Twitch and Alex, “Outta Your Mind”

Courtney and Mark, “The Garden”

Danny and Anya, “Apologize”

Melanie and Neil, “Total Eclipse of the Heart”

Kayla and Kupono, “Gravity”

Brandon and Janette, “Loving Is Really My Game”

Robert and Allison, “Fix You”

Travis and Heidi, “Calling You”

Which performances would you add to this list?

Comments

1. daws says

“The Hummingbird and the Flower” was my all-time fave. I haven’t watched the show in a few years, though. I just don’t find the negativity inherent in the dance industry to be entertaining.

2. Dastius Krazitauc says

I have a love/hate opinion of this show. There is so much great choreography and dancing, but I hate the public dressing down the judges give some of the boys for not being “masculine enough”, and the shrieking 14 y.o. girls in the audience who don’t respect or understand “mood” when it comes to dance.

3. Todd says

Wow…how could you not include Kent Boyd and Neil Haskell performing the Travis Wall routine. That was such a heart breaking routine about two guys breaking up.

4. AriesMatt says

Such a great trip down memory lane. Love this show. Still bitter that Neil Haskell didn’t win his season.

For those of you not watching, this current season is shaping up to be pretty good. Great group of dancers and can’t wait to see who makes it to the finale.

5. bambinoitaliano says

With this show you can’t just do top 10, though I can replace at least half of this top ten list with my own. This talent show is so much better than any of the singing contest. I just hope it will go on for a few more seasons. Agree with Ken and Neil, Lacey and Danny.

6. thepolarbeast says

I find the robot moves very distracting. Dancing should be smooth and fluid and lithe and athletic. Sexy without being overtly sexual. Too many of these vignettes fail to meet that simple criteria.

7. TDSE says

@thepolarbeast

That’s a narrow view if what dance should be. There are so many different types of dance, and even within each type different routines are created which utilize a range of movements and styles.

8. Pervy McPerv says

I was hoping to see on this list the fun, athletic and sexy routine Neil and Kent did to a tune from ‘Damn Yankees.’ Great dancing AND baseball uniforms. Mmmm hmmm.

9. footwork61 says

Melanie and Allison are two of the most fearless and fearsome dancers. Nothing is ever phoned in with them.
    Kent melts my heart while Chehon heats it up.

10. mvecera says

I think this show is amazing. You gotta commit to it, and I will admit that I fast-forward through a lot of the show and BARELY care who wins. But what keeps my Tivo busy is the chance to see the one or two routines a year that move me to tears. I never felt an emotional connection to dance until I started watching this show. I was most surprised with an audition last year in “exorcist style” and how much it touched me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNHi7Wa7vpc

11. Dback says

Anything with Billy Bell–the man is to dance what Streisand is to vocal music, Spielberg is to film, “To Kill A Mockingbird” is to literature, and Van Gogh is to painting. There are no words to describe his body in flight.

12. Jude says

Oh, and I’m sure we are forgetting at least one great choreography by Travis Wall. I just can’t remember what it is.

Also, there’s got to be more choreographies by Mia Michaels. My mind is completely blank right now. I’m sure I’ll remember some later.

13. Dastius Krazitauc says

I tried to watch that “Hallelujah” clip, but it was too annoying. That clip is the perfect example of what a disservice this show does to the art of dance. The choreographer cried as she worked on that piece, and despite the talent of the dancers, the morons in the audience are shouting out “Alex!” and cheering dance moves like they’re circus tricks. So much for story and mood. If the producers didn’t want it, they’d tell the audience to save it for when the piece ended, but instead they encourage it, and are training a new generation of Americans to disrespect live dance as much as they do.

14. Kevin_BGFH says

Any performance with Neil shirtless and barefoot will always be at the top of my list. That said, Travis & Heidi’s “Calling You” remains one of my favorite of all time.

15. dumbnhung says

Loved a lot of these, my all-time favorite group number was the zombie dance to Roisin Murphy’s song Ramalama Bang Bang

Thanks the the Hip Hip Chin Chin reference, gotta go watch that again!

16. Charles Weber says

I’m angered that quality of performance has been sacrified in order to include dancers of all genres, especially animation. These people are fascinating to watch, but don’t do the other styles with any kind of adeptness. Just take the best and most versatile dancers to create the best show. I don’t care to watch a beautiful waltz danced by Blueprint. I don’t have much that’s enjoyable in my life. and am going through a difficult time right now. I was really pleasantly anticipating the start of this show. Now, I’m angry about the choices.