News | Proposition 8 | San Francisco | Sean Chapin

Celebrating the Fall of Prop 8 with the SF Gay Men's Chorus: VIDEO

Prop8

Writes videographer Sean Chapin:

Moments after Prop 8 fell and the first same-sex couple wed in San Francisco City Hall, the San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus celebrated the marriage of Prop 8 Plaintiffs Kris Perry and Sandy Stier, singing to then an excerpt of a new song called "San Francisco" from Andrew Lippa's oratorio "I Am Harvey Milk", world-premiered by the chorus days before in its 35th anniversary concert Harvey Milk 2013. Also seen with the newlywed couple are San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee, Human Rights Campaign President and Founder of the American Federation for Equal Rights Chad Hunter Griffin, Oscar-winning Producer Bruce Cohen and Oscar-winning Screenwriter for the movie "Milk" Dustin Lance Black. The chorus also sings "Give 'Em Hope", complemented by footage of the day when Prop 8 fell inside City Hall and that afternoon in the Castro neighborhood, as well as the wedding of Kris Perry and Sandy Stier.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I hope I live long enough to see the same thing happen in Austin, Raleigh, Richmond, Atlanta, Tallahassee etc.

Posted by: Jonty Coppersmith | Jul 4, 2013 6:50:04 PM

2. To all the gay men out there, what do you think about the men in the San Francisco and Los Angeles Gay Men's Chorus? I've seen both and I don't want to say until I see what all of you guys think about them? About their looks? About how they are as a group? What did you think for those of you who have seen them in person (and no I'm not talking about their singing)?

Posted by: Anyone? | Jul 4, 2013 7:02:06 PM

3. They kinda look like a bunch of drips to me and the song they sang stunk to high heaven. Lame, it all looked and sounded lame, limp, washed out. Meh, bleh, yuk.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 4, 2013 8:21:24 PM

4. A fitting tribute to Harvey Milk and the ongoing struggle for equality, the SF Men's Chorus has been winning hearts and minds for many years and their performances are often sold-out. Gay men's choruses function as a potent crossover introduction to the straight community through the universal love and bonding of music. Along with Gay Pride celebrations, there are few things in our community that have lasted as long and have had such a positive influence. They truly represent a cross section of the best our community has to offer.

Posted by: Jerry | Jul 4, 2013 9:15:41 PM

5. Didn't watch it, but it looks like they are having fun. I like it when people are having fun. I wish others would too. Alas, life is too short to worry about the negative nellies out there. Even though I have no one to marry, I am still thrilled at the action taken by SCOTUS during this past week, so yes, it is befitting that everyone have a song on their lips. Justice was achieved this week, in a nation that values justice. I have never been more proud to be an American than I was when the verdict was read. It's all about happiness, all about love...kinda like Jesus! ;)

Posted by: millerbeach | Jul 5, 2013 2:17:55 AM

6. Yep, there is still so much emotional sickness, caused by the damage of homophobia.
    Let's not take something joyous and wonderful and pick apart the Gay men who are doing what they want, expressing themselves, and giving hope to others.
    And YES, singing "San Francisco" from the movie about the Earthquake/Fire would have been more rousing to view online, but it would have been shallow and inappropriate.

Posted by: Bob | Jul 5, 2013 3:43:59 AM

7. @Anyone? -- San Francisco and LA and New York are all VERY different, and so are the people. So what!

Posted by: Bob | Jul 5, 2013 3:45:30 AM

8. glorious time
    too bad looks seems to cause complaints
    oh well!

Posted by: L Goethe | Jul 5, 2013 4:06:58 AM

9. The SFGMC was formed in 1979, and performed in public for the first time on the steps of SF city hall on the night of the massive candlelight vigil for Harvey Milk on the day he and George Moscone were murdered by Dan White. Their advocacy through artistic expression inspired similar organizations to be formed throughout the country. Gay and lesbian choruses are often very effective ways to change hearts and minds among those who would otherwise have worked against us. (As my friend Stan says, "who's afraid of a choir?") The choruses served as second families for many ostracized gay men, especially during the worst years of the AIDS bloodbath. And now they serve as part of the mosaic of GLBT advocacy organizations working for equality and representing our community. I would much rather be a part of one of these organizations and count these "drips" as friends than spend my time worrying about what people like UFFDA (above) have to say about anything.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jul 5, 2013 8:30:27 AM

10. So happy to hear the gentlemen of the San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus sing at this historic event. Yes? Who is afraid of a choir? Gay men have kept the arts- culture - alive for untold generations. It's what we do. It's more than just singing.

Posted by: Daniel | Jul 5, 2013 9:03:40 AM

11. If you know me and you are reading this you know I am never speechless.......I am.

Posted by: rees cramer | Jul 5, 2013 1:11:44 PM

12. Well, if it was requested by Kris and Sandy, then more power to them. However, as someone who lived in SF for 3 years, I do get weary with everything--EVERYTHING--being All About Them (meaning San Franciscans). On the 25th anniversary of Stonewall, Liza Minnelli joined the New York Gay Men's Chorus, and they sang "On The Day After That" not "New York New York" (which, ironically, would've been REALLY appropriate). The SF chorus could have sung "California, Here I Come" or "Going to the Chapel" (or "Starting Here Starting Now"), so there is something a little narcissistic about this. I know, I'm carping, just my .02.

Posted by: Dback | Jul 5, 2013 4:02:07 PM