Big Brother | Julie Chen | News | Reality TV

Julie Chen Says She is 'Offended, Hurt' by Racism, Homophobia on 'Big Brother': VIDEO

Chen

On yesterday's episode of The Talk, Big Brother host Julie Chen discussed the racist, homophobic, sexist remarks that contestants on this year's show have been making.

Watch The Talk clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Said Chen:

Gries"When I first found out that Aaryn, who is a 22-year-old girl, made anti-gay, anti-black, and anti-Asian comments, I have to be honest, you know...the Asian ones hit me the most. I heard about her describing Asians as 'squinty-eyed' and 'go make a bowl of rice.' She said that about Helen, who is Chinese and in the house. It stung. I took it personally. I'm a human being. And the really sad part was, it took me back to the 70's when I was growing up in Queens and when I was 7 years old getting bullied, being called a 'chink', and people pulling their eyes. But it took me back so many years, and I thought to myself, 'Wow, I haven’t heard comments like that' —  year is 2013. And then I felt ignorant. There are still people in the country who feel that way and act that way? Yes there is, yes there is. And afterwards, it just made me sad because she’s 22 and she’s college educated."

Watch a supercut of all the bigoted remarks HERE.

Chen says that CBS aired the remarks because it is now driving a story:

"CBS and Big Brother showed it because it is now driving a story. It is now affecting how the other players want to see her gone. You know, if it didn’t drive story, and it didn’t have a dynamic on what it is to the elements of the game, it maybe, you can’t just put it in there and say, 'Judge her, everybody.' It has to have to do with the game and the rules of the game...She and the other houseguests have no idea that it has made national headlines."

Tmz_chenTMZ caught up with Chen as well, asking her how she felt about the remarks:

"Personally I was offended. I was offended by all the comments - the anti-gay, the anti-black, but especially the anti-Asian ones for obvious reasons. I think she's young. I'm hopeful that when she gets out, she reads the headlines and that 'll force her to change the way she thinks."

TMZ also asked if Aaryn's modeling agency was right to fire her. Responded Chen:

"I don't know anything about the modeling world. I don't know if she's that famous enough that people will associate her face with those comments."

Watch both The Talk and TMZ clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

Meanwhile, Spencer Clawson's mom insist he's not a bigot. Spencer has praised Hitler and called the gay contestant "Kermit the fag". Spencer's mom insists his bigotry is inspired by peer pressure:

"Spencer really is a great guy. This is not a guy that’s a bigot or a racist. And he’s not that way at home. He's a great guy...If you're in a group, you go along with the group talk and that is what is happening with him...This is a reality show. The purpose of the show is scheming behind each other's backs."

Make sure not to miss a Towleroad headline by following @TLRD on Twitter.

TMZ also caught up with Chen:

Comments

1. Wait, whose husband is president of CBS? Oh, that's right, Julie Chen's. Talk about driving a story...

Posted by: Larry | Jul 9, 2013 12:25:07 PM

2. She had done some bumpers for the show saying "Now that's good television!" the other week, so I'm sure she felt an extra duty to call out this hateful crap.

Posted by: DeeVee | Jul 9, 2013 12:27:40 PM

3. Whatever. You can't be complicit in putting the worst elements of society on television and then profess to be offended that they behaved in exactly the way you intended them to.

Posted by: ripper | Jul 9, 2013 12:35:55 PM

4. Aaryn is not the only one on the show to make these kinds of comments. 2 of the contestants have lost their jobs, because of these statements. They need to show all the comments made.

Posted by: Jaysonn | Jul 9, 2013 12:35:57 PM

5. Why aren't they blasting the guy who made the "Kermit the fag" comment when the gay contestant wore a green outfit? They are going to single out the dumb racist b*tch from Texas and leave the three to four other racist homophobes alone?

Posted by: pedro | Jul 9, 2013 12:43:13 PM

6. I agree. Part of the game is that America gets to vote on some aspects of the game. Show the players and their true colors.

I honestly can't wait to see what happens when these people get voted off. They are under contract to go out and do press after the fact. Can you imagine how uncomfortable those gigs are going to be?

Posted by: Jack | Jul 9, 2013 12:44:11 PM

7. It's an execrable show - always has been, always will be. How can we really take Chen as a serious journalist all these years hosting such squalid TV? She's Maury Povich with a vagina.

Posted by: wiredream | Jul 9, 2013 12:46:24 PM

8. I'm glad CBS are finally dealing with this, although by limiting it to Aaryn, rather than showing how 5-6 other people have been making these sorts of remarks they're limiting the extent of the problem, and I think it's a bit unfair that one contestant becomes the focus of all the negative attention. America has a much bigger problem with hatred and bigotry - and this series of BB should be reflecting that.

The Chenbot is my heroine. And I won't have any trash talked about her here.

Posted by: Betty Treacle | Jul 9, 2013 12:51:47 PM

9. Julie Chen can be offended all she likes. But at the end of the day...EVERY HUMAN BEING ON THIS PLANET IS PREJUDICE to one degree or another. I'm almost sure she has made a derogatory remark about others sometime in her life...she isn't perfect. As a gay man...I have heard the word "fag" all of my life...I doesn't offended me. People who are offended...need a reason to be offended.

Posted by: Ted | Jul 9, 2013 1:02:06 PM

10. Who watches this lowbrow crap? I certainly don't.

Posted by: CP | Jul 9, 2013 1:05:11 PM

11. Too bad the network isn't offended enough to announce that Big Brother will not be returning next summer. Money and ratings are always the bottom line.

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 9, 2013 1:06:32 PM

12. @Ted

I'll agree that everyone across the board has some prejudice whether they wish to admit it or not, but for the most part it goes unseen/unheard. These people knew they'd be filmed pretty much 24/7 and unless they've been living under a rock somewhere, know that the majority of people don't approve of that kind of language. By all means have your prejudices and say what you want but don't expect everyone to just be passive about it.

It's like the Free Speech argument all over again. Whenever someone gets flack for making unsavory comments they try to act like their right to Free Speech is being attacked. What they don't understand is that it's a two way street. You can call me a n***er f*g but don't expect me to not say something back or others to call you out on your bigotry.

Posted by: Derrick | Jul 9, 2013 1:11:42 PM

13. @Derrick...LOL. "These people knew they'd be filmed pretty much 24/7 and unless they've been living under a rock somewhere, know that the majority of people don't approve of that kind of language." OK. If people don't approve of that kind of language...they shouldn't use it. But to expect others not to use that kind of language because the major of people don't approve of it is ... idiotic.

Posted by: Jason | Jul 9, 2013 1:16:44 PM

14. IMHO, all this hoopla is deliberately crafted to attract attention and publicity for the show.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 9, 2013 1:32:33 PM

15. The "rice" comment was NOT a stereotype. Asian people do cook and eat rice all the time. So why is Julie Chen offended by that?

Posted by: Sam | Jul 9, 2013 1:38:03 PM

16. Chen should offer her a bowl of rice when she gets evicted.

Posted by: Adam | Jul 9, 2013 1:44:16 PM

17. @Sam,

LOL...true. A pot of rice on the stove is de rigueur in many Asian homes, even second, third generation.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 9, 2013 1:54:58 PM

18. I watched the first or two seasons but quickly got over the gay man always being portrayed as flamboyant and unattractive while the straight people are buff and beautiful. Since I don't have cable I tuned in this season and am glad I did. It's good to see Karma playing the game this season but what did CBS expect when they play up stereotypes as often as possible?

Can't wait for the exit interviews. Hopefully CBS doesn't gloss over it.

Also, Aaryn cheated while playing yhe HOH competition yet CBS ignored it....

Posted by: Michael | Jul 9, 2013 1:56:40 PM

19. I hope that when Aaryn and the Ginamarie are expelled, Julie Chen asks them SPECIFICALLY about their racist/homophobic comments...on LIVE TV

Posted by: Chris in Irvine | Jul 9, 2013 2:10:57 PM

20. i'm kind of astonished that no commenter thus far has felt the need to point out that chen didn't find the crass comments offensive until they hit the asian slams. there have been anti gay and anti black comments for years, but it takes a direct hit for some of these people to realize its wrong. empathy, people, empathy. without it you are soulless.

Posted by: bandanajack | Jul 9, 2013 2:14:19 PM

21. If she's "offended" then why doesn't she ask her husband to pull the show off the air THIS MINUTE?

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 9, 2013 2:14:58 PM

22. sorry to hell with the show why allow this to continue and reward with air time fire the offenders and kick them to the curb and if they can't cbs should cancel the season. but controversy makes good television good television makes good ratings good ratings make big bucks. cbs needs to decide the money or the ethics

Posted by: walter | Jul 9, 2013 2:28:51 PM

23. The rice comment (and the others) was offensive because it was intended to be derogatory. This wasn't a discussion about the culinary equipment in various households or even a case of taking playful jabs at each other. This was about "How can I hurt this person or put them down?" It's also a stereotype despite the comments to the contrary. Do people not understand what the word means?

Posted by: shibby | Jul 9, 2013 2:43:06 PM

24. I find it interesting that some people, like Julie, are more offended by relatively innocuous comments like "go make a bowl of rice" directed at her own minority group than by the far uglier comments (like Spencer saying he wishes Andy would be a victim of an anti-gay hate crime) directed against gay "houseguests" and, indeed, against gay people every day struggling to survive in societies from Alabama to Uganda.

If all we gay people had to deal with was people saying, "Oh, go drink a latte," I would that the struggle agsinst bigotry as we know it would be essentially over.

Posted by: GregV | Jul 9, 2013 2:43:38 PM

25. My things is why haven't the sponsors of this show called upon CBS to do something about it. I wouldn't think they would want their products associated with such blatant bigotry. And its not just Aaryn that is doing it. I seems to be at least 5 or 6 others doing these racist, women degrading comments, along with homophobia. We should be outraged with CBS for allowing this to go on.

Posted by: Wildgate | Jul 9, 2013 2:44:05 PM