Chicago | Crime | News

BigGayDeal.com

Lesbian Couple Attacked by Gang of Up to 10 Men in Hate Crime on Chicago's West Side: VIDEO

Chicago

A woman and her girlfriend were attacked by a group of as many as 10 men in the South Austin neighborhood on Chicago's west side. The attack began after a man was harassing the couple, the Chicago Tribune reports:

The woman said she did her best to ignore him but he kept following. Her girlfriend tried to reason with the man, asking him to leave the couple alone, the woman said.

But then a second man came up, cursing both of the women, and the first man took a swing and punched the woman, she said. The couple said they fought back and other men quickly joined in, dragging the women apart.

The couple struggled to get back together, pressed against a car as the beating continued and no one came by to help, the woman said. “I didn’t think we were going to make it out,” she said.

Finally, one of the men said the police were coming. The attackers, laughing, fled in one direction and the women went the other way. Both women had lost their shoes in the scramble, and someone had ripped one of the victim’s shirt off. The men stole their phones and cash.

The women were attended to by parademics after one of them was beaten unconscious. One man is being held on $1 million bail, charged with two counts of felony hate crime and two counts of felony robbery. The other suspects are still at large.

Watch one of the women, who says she has left the neighborhood, describe the ordeal (warning: autoplay), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. These men sound so butch. Hubba hubba. Maybe if these women weren't flaunting their disgusting nature perhaps they could have avoiding agitating the alpha male that resides within all men.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 11, 2013 1:14:36 PM

2. When will gay people learn that you NEED to take martial arts lessons?? For gods sake these people HATE you.

Posted by: Rowan | Jul 11, 2013 1:33:56 PM

3. $1 million bail!

Good!!

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Jul 11, 2013 1:44:54 PM

4. @Rick, I presume that's a joke but it's in pretty bad taste.

@Rowan, they were attacked by TEN men. No 2 people are going to stand a chance when jumped by 10, regardless of doing some karate night classes.

Posted by: danswon | Jul 11, 2013 2:02:48 PM

5. Chicago, a city I like very much and visited multiple times, has a very, very serious gang and violent crime problem. I have close relatives and friends from the city and they tell me it's bleeding population, many longtime locals are fleeing the city. This is really depressing and sad. Chicago is one of America's greatest cities. Something serious needs to done to stop the slide and the violence.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 11, 2013 2:03:32 PM

6. The Austin neighborhood is ROUGH. It's next to the amazingly gay-friendly Oak Park, where I live. It's incredibly impoverished and like many impoverished neighborhoods here, has a very big gang problem.

Sad to say but even straight people would be in danger there. Not saying it isn't an anti-gay assault but I hardly think the attackers cared.

Posted by: Joe | Jul 11, 2013 2:24:03 PM

7. I grew up in Chicago. I left the city 10 years ago. I never went to the West Side unless I was going to Oak Park. It is a dangerous part of town and if you don't know someone over there; I would suggest avoiding it. I agree with @Joe. I am not saying that this was not anti-gay in nature, but these fools were just looking to rob and cause trouble and our lesbian sisters just were the unfortunate victims. Glad they caught one of them and hope they get the other 9 very soon.

Posted by: THurts | Jul 11, 2013 2:56:11 PM

8. @danswon. that's not rick. that's our resident queen bee little kiwi troll posting

Posted by: gomez | Jul 11, 2013 3:29:02 PM

9. What these women should do is exercise their right to keep and bear arms. Get a gun and learn to use it, because 10 against 2 is an injustice. And depriving people of their right to self-defense is a crime.

Posted by: Kev C | Jul 11, 2013 5:11:30 PM

10. I have lived in Austin for 10 years and have never had an issue so please stop blaming the neighborhood. Trash is trash and there are beatings like this around Boys Town all the time. The crime in Austin is gang on gang for the most part so if you are not in a gang you are left alone. This crime is despicable no doubt but it can and has happened all over. My neighbors are not gang bangers and the monsters that did this crime, they are great hard working people. So before anyone blames an entire neighborhood that is the size of Rockford realize it sounds racist and it's just not true nor is it fair.

Posted by: Linder | Jul 11, 2013 5:42:57 PM

11. onsidering the neighborhood, Im not surprised. HORRIFIC area!

Posted by: Jun | Jul 12, 2013 9:26:10 AM

12. Linder, if you're from the area, shame on you for saying it's safe. The size of Rockford? Please. And yes, there are beatings and such near Boystown. There's also 10x the people and 1/20th the murders. That's a fact.

Posted by: Robert | Jul 12, 2013 3:56:56 PM