Comments

1. Stephen says

Good luck WBC. His funeral will most likely be in Canada (him being Canadian) and its basically impossible for them to get into the country. And if they did they’d end up in Jail for awhile. Here’s the pertinent Parts of the Criminal Code of Canada.

“319. (1) Every one who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace is guilty of
    (a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or
    (b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.
    Marginal note:Wilful promotion of hatred

(2) Every one who, by communicating statements, other than in private conversation, wilfully promotes hatred against any identifiable group is guilty of
    (b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.”

2. peterparker says

I really, really, really, really, really, really, REALLY wish blogs and the rest of the media would stop giving Westboro Baptist Church the lifeblood they need to propagate their hatred: airtime. Ignore them, and they will go away.

3. FernLaPlante says

I agree with PETERPARKER. This blog and HuffPoGay give WBC too much attention. I think HuffPo actually LIKES WBC b/c they run stories on them multiple times a week just to get clicks. Ignore them and they will cease to exist.

4. Gestly says

Westboro is doing a fantastic job promoting equality and helping destroy religion as a force in our culture. Let them keep hating — it is a huge turnoff to 99% of the population, and those that it appeals to are too far gone and/or mentally ill already.

5. crazycorgi says

Let’s all hope that the “good” people of the Westboro Baptist Church do take their garbage to Canada and try to pull the crap that they get away with here. Canadian laws are not the same as those in the U.S. Just because Canada looks like the U.S. doesn’t mean you have the freedom to get away with the SH*T there that you do here. Let them try it, and then we won’t have to hear from them for a few years while they rot in a Canadian jail.

6. Logan says

@JAKEINLOVE – I imagine he was trying to get high. Asking what an addict was trying to accomplish is a silly question. It’s an addiction for a reason.

7. MArk says

Thanksfully he’s far from human controversy and problems forevermore, whats the point of naming what he did wrong?, it’s an irreversible loss to their friends and family, I pray for his soul has been able to found the peace he could’t reach here on earth, rest in peace.

8. I wont grow up says

Why on earth would you give a forum for the westboro animals to spew their hatred. The only place I’ve seen that despicable sign is on this “Gay” forum. Every other news outlet has ignored this disgraceful sign. I know it’s supposed to be good to know your enemy but these idiots should be ignored. They are beneath our contempt.

9. ratbastard says

@ I WONT GROW UP,

It’s to keep the gays radicalized and fearful. That way, The Gays will vote the ‘correct’ way, and have the ‘correct’ thoughts.

10. ratbastard says

@ I WONT GROW UP,

11. ratbastard says

I’ve snorted heroin numerous times in my past, and understand how people become addicted to it, and well do almost anything to get it. It’s an amazing drug.

12. dumbnhung says

You’d think there’d be some way of charging WBC with some sort of hate crime for that tweet to Lea Michele suggesting she kill herself…

13. andrew says

What good comes from Towleroad posting the hateful comments of the mutants of the Westboro Hate Group about the death of the young Monteith? It seems to me that good taste and respect for the young man and his family should trump sensationalism.

14. Lucas H says

Jesus, people. A good guy is dead. This is about mental illness, not petty politics or psycho religious fanatics. He was a friend and ally to our community. Put aside the petty BS, please.

15. Nirgal says

Honestly, having your funeral picketed by the WBC should be seen as a badge of honor. Still, they’re stupid attention whores and should be ignored.

16. Delish says

The take away I got from this post after sadness about a young life lost is the same as many other comments–

Andy, PLEASE STOP ACTING AS THE MEGAPHONE FOR WESTBORO. They have a right to speak, but MAKE THEM DO THE WORK THEMSELVES. I don’t know what else to say…please stop spreding their message.

17. FuryOfFirestorm says

@Stephen: SHHH! Nobody tell the WBC that! If we’re lucky, they’ll actually go up there to Canada to protest his funeral, then get locked up in the slammer.