Desmond tutu | South Africa | United Nations

BigGayDeal.com

Desmond Tutu: 'I Would Refuse To Go To A Homophobic Heaven'

6a00d8341c730253ef0177447a62d9970d-500wi
Anglican Archbishop and social rights activist Desmond Tutu made the declaration during the launch of the global public education campaign called "Free & Equal," which we told you about yesterday.

The BBC reports on his stance on equality:

"I would refuse to go to a homophobic heaven. No, I would say sorry, I mean I would much rather go to the other place," Archbishop Tutu said at the launch of the Free and Equal campaign in Cape Town. "I would not worship a God who is homophobic and that is how deeply I feel about this."

Archbishop Tutu said the campaign against homophobia was similar to the campaign waged against racism in South Africa. "I am as passionate about this campaign as I ever was about apartheid. For me, it is at the same level," he added.

Watch a South African Broadcast News segment about Tutu's support of the "Free & Equal" objective, in which he adds that "we should become a society where people are free to be who God made them to be," AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. The world is finally starting to see the light.

Posted by: mike | Jul 27, 2013 12:25:03 PM

2. To me a "homophobic Heaven" is a contradiction in terms, anyway.

Posted by: Geoff | Jul 27, 2013 12:33:56 PM

3. "....People are free to be what God made them to be". Amazing! And nor do you need anyone`s permission to be what you are.
    Tutu is Tops!!

Posted by: David From Canada | Jul 27, 2013 1:00:15 PM

4. I'd gladly spend an eternity in "hell" with Desmond Tutu and other like-minded indivduals than spend even 10 minutes with the likes of Michele Bachmann or Pat Robertson.

Posted by: Gigi | Jul 27, 2013 1:04:26 PM

5. I never have understood why these fundamentalists ever thought spending eternity in the same place as them is a selling point.

Posted by: plaintom | Jul 27, 2013 2:23:03 PM

6. Desmond would get more comments here if he were younger and atrractive and an underwear model.

Posted by: will | Jul 27, 2013 2:25:41 PM

7. Note To Will: For doing all his good deeds, Desmond Tutu will be a young, attractive, underwear model in his next life.
    But in this life he has much to offer just as he is.

Posted by: David From Canada | Jul 27, 2013 2:54:12 PM

8. Will, exactly. And he is black. Big NO NO in gay blogging land!

LOVE this man.

Posted by: Rowan | Jul 27, 2013 3:49:40 PM

9. Courageous and upstanding comments from a respected community leader. Thank you for standing up and speaking out, Desmond Tutu.

Posted by: Jaan | Jul 27, 2013 4:07:16 PM

10. an atheist here, BUT props/ kudos / & a hearty thank you to Desmond Tutu

Posted by: Moz's | Jul 27, 2013 4:07:32 PM

11. I have always admired Tutu and am grateful to have his support.

Posted by: fairi5fair | Jul 27, 2013 4:12:18 PM

12. St. Desmond.

Posted by: trees | Jul 27, 2013 4:24:42 PM

13. This what religion is supposed be not the hat bigotry and intolerance of people like pat robertson brian brown bryan fischer or cardinal dolan.

Posted by: walter | Jul 27, 2013 4:36:10 PM

14. Atheist, here, but WOW! Much respect!

Posted by: J.J. in the Navy | Jul 27, 2013 4:50:16 PM

15. He's always been inspiring, but this is a new high point.
    Is Mugabe (or any other number of African leaders) listening?

Posted by: Dw | Jul 27, 2013 5:16:26 PM

16. Does the Anglican Church have saints?! He's a shoe-in no matter what.

Posted by: Princely | Jul 27, 2013 5:17:47 PM

17. TREES

If he doesn't get made a saint when he dies (he's well or into his 80's??), I will go insane.

Posted by: Rowan | Jul 27, 2013 5:36:16 PM

18. Hallelujah! We need our allies more than ever, all around the world.

Posted by: FilmTurtle | Jul 27, 2013 6:22:52 PM

19. Yeah to all theses cynical comments I say this: I would not have commented except to say this, and while I might be more likely to comment on some guy who would give me a woodie or some controversial piece... a year from now I'm more likely to remember that Desmond Tutu said this and not that some guy gave me a woodie.

Comments, or lack thereof, do not always correlate with the impact of a news piece. There's no need to say anything on this one, because we all agree he's awesome for saying it.

Posted by: Austin | Jul 27, 2013 7:17:32 PM

20. Homophobe's Heaven, aka "Texas".

Posted by: Rick | Jul 27, 2013 7:31:16 PM

21. @Rowan: he probably won't be made a "saint" because that is a Roman Catholic thing. Protestants might use the word "saint" informally but there is no procedure for officially making or declaring a person to be a "saint".

The idea in Catholicism seems to be that you can route a "prayer-gram" to a recognized saint in Heaven for special handling, so you can have someone on the inside arguing on your behalf. It's like saying, "You should bet on Glue Pot in the next race - my barber knows the jockey and found out that the race is fixed."

Posted by: Bill | Jul 27, 2013 7:35:21 PM

22. Wonderful man.

Posted by: Arch | Jul 28, 2013 5:30:33 PM

23. He is a TRUE man of God, spreading the REAL word. Thank you Tutu

Posted by: reality | Jul 29, 2013 2:50:18 PM

24. This man is a true hero.

Posted by: bill | Jul 29, 2013 10:17:36 PM