"Ex-Gays" | News

BigGayDeal.com

Former VP of Defunct 'Exodus International' Issues Apology to LGBT Community

Randy Thomas, the former Vice President of 'ex-gay' group Exodus International, has posted an open apology on his blog for the three decades of lies, pain, and suffering that his organization directed towards the LGBT community.

Thomas, who back in 2011 considered himself an 'ex-gay superstar,' now says that his 'uncritical perspective contributed to the hurt that many LGBT persons were already feeling.'

He writes, in part:

Randy ThomasMy understanding of public policy at that time was limited to the talking points I was given to tailor my testimony around. I did not do much research beyond these talking points - and as a result, my perspective was limited and nearsighted. I am very sorry that my uncritical perspective contributed to the hurt that many LGBT persons were already feeling.

I participated in the hurtful echo chamber of condemnation. I gave lip service to the gay community, but really did not exemplify compassion for them. I placed the battle over policy above my concern for real people. I sometimes valued the shoulder pats I was given by religious leaders more than Jesus' commandment to love and serve. That was wrong and I'm disappointed in myself. Please forgive me.

I directly empowered people to co-opt my testimony and use it against the gay community. There were a few times I almost worked up the nerve to confront them, only to hear them invoke my name at an opportune moment. 'Of course I love gay people,' they would say. 'Just look at my good friend Randy...' It was very selfish of me to back down in these situations. I apologize.

...

I apologize to the gay community for idealizing and reinforcing the institutional groupthink of Exodus. I apologize for remaining publicly silent about the hurt caused by some of Exodus' leaders and actions. I also apologize for my inexperienced participation in public policy, placing my personal ambition over truly serving the gay community as a Christian friend.

The news comes on the heels of Exodus International's President Alan Chambers issuing an apology of his own last month to those 'who have been hurt by the Church, Exodus International, and me.'

Some are calling Thomas' apology too vague. Thoughts?

Comments

1. Oh, who cares? We accept and let's move on. I'm so tired of holding 2 decades of people to account. Let's forgive & forget. We'll be like Jesus (we can afford to do this when we're winning the battle; being gracious).

Posted by: will | Jul 26, 2013 5:30:34 PM

2. On one hand, we need to encourage this sort of belated understanding and give credit where it’s due. On the other, he writes, “My understanding of public policy at that time was limited to the talking points I was given to tailor my testimony around.”

Really, dude? You’re VP of a hate-filled organization and you’re just going to avoid critical thinking and go along with some talking points. Perhaps you’re just not the type of person who should voice opinions at all if you don’t take the time to think first. Cause, really, that’s not too much to ask.

Posted by: Paul | Jul 26, 2013 5:40:57 PM

3. "...but did not exemplify compassion for them."

(*sigh*) "Them??"

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jul 26, 2013 5:40:59 PM

4. Oh F.U. I do not accept your apology. I am continuing my life with all the difficulties you inflicted on me. I will never forget your role in spreading hate, pain, and hardship on LGBT people.
    To Will and all others that want to "forgive & forget" do so for yourself please do not speak for me.

Posted by: Nigel | Jul 26, 2013 5:43:46 PM

5. I agree with those that say this apology is too vague. It sounds like an apology by someone who's already let themselves off the hook. I don't really detect the slightest tone of sincere contrition. Apologies from representatives of an organization breathing it's last gasp seem suspicious to me. If they're truly sorry, they should tell us how they're going to spend the rest of their life making up for it through positive volunteer service.

Posted by: Harold | Jul 26, 2013 6:20:39 PM

6. It's not a real apology, just a change in tactics. The newly rebranded Exodus still believes as they always have. They're just tweaking their "love the sinner, hate the sin" message to try to make it more acceptable. Don't fall for it. Notice they never actually affirm homosexuality.

Posted by: Merv | Jul 26, 2013 6:23:59 PM

7. Thanks Uncle Tom. Moving forward, what will you be doing to help rectify the damage you've done?

Posted by: Munro | Jul 26, 2013 6:37:27 PM

8. Apology? Sure. Whatever. But, I'll echo Munro above, words don't mean much without works. What is Mr Thomas going to do to repair the damage he's done?

Posted by: Glenn I | Jul 26, 2013 6:54:00 PM

9. "I was so busy spouting the hateful script I'd memorized to actually think about what I was saying and how it affected other people! My bad!"

That about covers it, right?

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 26, 2013 6:54:38 PM

10. He's obviously a sick and damaged person. He's basically doing the same thing now that he did in Exodus because he's desperate for approval and now just pandering to a different audience. It's all sad, but move on and be glad that Exodus is now recognized for the evil and damaging crock of sh** that it WAS:)

Posted by: willjg | Jul 26, 2013 7:12:29 PM

11. Yes it's vague and also completely incensere. In truth he still belives all the lies he's been propagating all these years. He can't be honest with himself so he can't be honest in his "appology."

Posted by: Robert M. | Jul 26, 2013 7:12:41 PM

12. It would be more compelling if he would come out of the closet himself. Or did the gay reparative therapy work in his case?

The whole organization is an abomination and led quite directly to scores of suicides. Where is the acknowledgment of that? Are real life and death consequences too unseemly to mention? Jerks.

Posted by: Rob | Jul 26, 2013 8:29:00 PM

13. Let's rephrase the opening of his apology: "Now that I can no longer earn a living throwing you all under the bus..."

Posted by: anon | Jul 26, 2013 8:54:21 PM

14. What galls me most about Randy Thomas's apology is that he posts it on his blog where he says "I love comments and hearing from you. Especially if it is honest, on topic (or somehow related to the topic blogged about), and doesn't attack other people" and "Please note: I love comments! I prefer civil discussion but don’t mind a bit of 'rowdy' dialog as long as it is honest."

I know for a fact that he's lying about loving comments and welcoming discussion. How do I know? Because he deletes comments. He doesn't just delete ones that use profanity or call him names. He deletes comments that aren't fawning or that pose difficult questions he doesn't want to answer.

If you say, "Thank you, Randy, for taking this brave step of apologizing. I forgive you and think you're wonderful," then he'll leave your comment and thank you for it.

If you ask him whether he thinks that gay people who don't want to be ex-gay should have full civil marriage equality, he'll delete your comment.

It's not as if I already didn't know that Thomas's apology was worthless, but how he handles the comments he claims to welcome on his blog reinforces that he's just trying to do P/R. His and Chambers' apologies aren't about actually apologizing. They're about rebranding Exodus into Reduce Fear.

Posted by: David Lauri | Jul 26, 2013 9:07:01 PM

15. He's gay, right???

Posted by: bostonbeat | Jul 28, 2013 8:37:27 PM

16. Basically he sold the recipe for suicide. If the apology seems vague it is because it is ABOUT HIM in the form of an apology.

Disdain will be his only friend from this point forward. He is undeserving to clean toilets with his tongue. A worthless non-entity and hopefully this will be the last we ever hear from him.

Posted by: Buck Boy | Jul 29, 2013 11:20:19 AM