California | Elections | Long Beach | News

Robert Garcia, Gay Vice Mayor Of Long Beach, Announces Candidacy For Mayor: VIDEO

Garcia

Last week, Long Beach's Vice Mayor Robert Garcia confirmed long-standing rumors that he would campaign to replace Mayor Bob Foster, who declined to seek a third term. Contra Coast Times reports on the announcement:

Screen Shot 2013-07-24 at 4.43.04 PMHe joins four others who had previously announced their candidacy in what is sure to become a crowded field.

In a YouTube video, Garcia spoke of the greatness of Long Beach and the city's accomplishments during the past several years, including reforming pensions, closing structural budget deficits and opening new parks.

"Over the next few months, I want to listen to you, I want to hear your story," Garcia said. "I want to sit on your porch, and hear what you want to do for your family and four our city. And I want to share with you my vision for the city, what we can do together as a team."

In addition to the accomplishments mentioned above, Garcia has led locally on numerous pro-LGBT issues. He is the author of the city's Equal Benefits Ordinance which ensured domestic partner benefits for city vendors. He also authored the city's first anti-bullying policy and named the first park in America after civil rights leader Harvey Milk.

Last year, Long Beach was recognized by the Human Rights Campaign as one of the top ten cities in the country for pro-LGBT municipal law and policy.

Watch a video of Garcia's announcement, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Best of luck.

Posted by: Howard | Jul 24, 2013 7:11:29 PM

2. Robert will make a great mayor!

Posted by: Matt | Jul 24, 2013 7:52:48 PM

3. Woo Hoo...get some young blood in there.

Posted by: Stephen | Jul 24, 2013 7:53:50 PM

4. Great to see young people getting involved. Seems like a great guy.

Posted by: Jimmy | Jul 24, 2013 10:36:12 PM

5. The other out member of the city council, Gerrie Schipske, a leading progressive voice in Long Beach, had previously announced her candidacy, before the incumbent announced he wouldn't seek another term. Schipske was the leading candidate in the race, and on her own seems to have a broader base of support, and she was just recognized by President Obama for work to open up city government.

Posted by: Bob in Long Beach | Jul 25, 2013 12:01:59 AM

6. Vice Mayor? Never heard of such a position. Vice President, yes, but a Vice Mayor? Whatever, I wish him lots of luck in his bid to become the new mayor.

Posted by: David From Canada | Jul 25, 2013 12:15:04 AM

7. I live in LB and know of Garcia relatively well. I will certainly look over ALL the candidates but I hope that Robert can earn my vote.

Best of luck to ALL the candidates!

Posted by: Princely | Jul 25, 2013 12:18:27 AM

8. As a Long Beach guy, I can tell you Robert rocks. He got us a Harvey Milk Park and is always at LGBT events. Love him, and hope he wins.

Posted by: Terry | Jul 25, 2013 12:39:22 AM

9. Let's hope he can put Suja Lowenthal out on the curb! I hear she's running too, but I'm not sure if her council seat is up for re-election this time.

Suja needs to stop trading on the Lowenthal family name - she divorced herself out of the family years ago.

Opportunist!!!

Posted by: PDQ | Jul 25, 2013 12:59:01 AM

10. Another LGB resident here.... And with both Robert AND Gerrie running, the choice is tough for me. I like them both! And Gerrie has been fighting for all Long Beach citizens for years and years and years, doing a great job. As Robert has.

Awful, isn't it? So much of the country has to choose the lesser of two evils. Now we here in Long Beach have to choose between two worthy members of our Family...!!!

Posted by: One of the CA 36,000 | Jul 25, 2013 11:17:06 AM

11. 25+ gay year resident of LB here. This lovely city is facing significant financial challenges and yet our current city council, Mr. Garcia included seems only focused on green striped bike paths, names of parks, educational farms, etc.

What is he going to do to bring businesses back to Long Beach? What is he going to do to address the significant gang violence in the city? How is he going to address the absolute financial failure which is the Pike project? What is he going to do about the NIMBYs in this city who block almost every proposed development project? the list of questions is endless.

Unless our local government stops worrying about outdoor eating and changing our roads to bike paths that no one uses, we will continue our decline.

Posted by: Scooter J | Jul 25, 2013 11:36:21 AM

12. California doesn't need any more queer politicians, they are ruining this place!

Posted by: Larry | Sep 19, 2013 6:03:23 PM