Film and TV

New Series 'Please Like Me' Explores The Awkward Side Of Coming Out: VIDEO

Gay Australian comedian Josh Thomas has a new series coming to America, "Please Like Me," that follows a twenty-something's painfully awkward coming-out and his struggle with a whole mess of dysfunction that surrounds him. The trailer and the entire first episode are both available AFTER THE JUMP...

The six episode series will air in its entirety August 1st on Pivot.tv, perfect for the binge-watchers among us.

Comments

1. YAY, I watched this when it was on YouTube. Quite enjoyable!!!

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Jul 25, 2013 12:06:23 PM

2. Watched this when it came out, and it's well worth seeing. Humorous rather than flat-out funny. It's semi-autobiographical, and leaves you with the sense that Josh Thomas is intensely uncomfortable being Josh Thomas.

Wade Briggs, who looks like a young, insanely hot version of Hugh Grant, plays his boyfriend, and steals every scene he's in.

Posted by: bcarter3 | Jul 25, 2013 12:28:11 PM

3. I want to enjoy the show but the portrait of Asian in this serious is just borderline racist. I know it's Australian, but c'mon it's 2013.

Posted by: jeremyrain | Jul 25, 2013 12:40:44 PM

4. If you watch the entire series... it's not racist.
    I love this show and am hoping for a series 2!

Posted by: JimmyD | Jul 25, 2013 12:49:23 PM

5. The main character is so unappealing on every level. His Napoleon Dynamite friend. The clueless beard. His cliched schizo mother. The pushy rah-rah "love interest". In fact, the offensive Asian stereotype is about the best thing going for this show which is just too wrapped up its deadpan direness to be another but smarmy hipster fair.

Posted by: Bollux | Jul 25, 2013 1:04:54 PM

6. I watched the whole first season on youtube for free. At first it was fun...but then it just became depressing. I hope season 2 is a little more uplifting than season 1.

Posted by: pedro | Jul 25, 2013 1:13:42 PM

7. That was just awful. Why does bad, amateurish writing, acting, producing and directing get promoted just because it's gay? We deserve better.

Posted by: AdamK | Jul 25, 2013 2:03:39 PM

8. Saw the series when it was first out. The station that broadcasted it in Australia made it available world wide but then right after the last episode aired they yanked it. I think they were hoping to sell some DVDs. The series is smart, honest, hilarious and awkwardly geeky. Click the link in my name if you'd like to see some gifs from it. I hope so much that there is a season 2

Posted by: Mike | Jul 25, 2013 2:50:22 PM

9. OK, I'm hooked. That was utterly charming.
    Damn! Now I have to research Pivot, and find out how to watch the whole bloody thing!

Posted by: dw | Jul 25, 2013 4:10:57 PM

10. This show is well worth watching. It's hilarious at times, depressing at times, but always heartfelt and honest. As the comments show, it's not for everyone, but give it a shot.

Posted by: Sid | Jul 26, 2013 9:43:10 AM