Books | Boycotts | Film | Orson Scott Card

Orson Scott Card Pleads For Tolerance In Response To Planned Boycott Of Ender's Game

Enders-game-02

In an exclusive with Entertainment Weekly, sci-fi author and NOM board member Orson Scott Card had this to say in response to the planned boycott of Ender's Game, due out this fall:

Ender’s Game is set more than a century in the future and has nothing to do with political issues that did not exist when the book was written in 1984.

With the recent Supreme Court ruling, the gay marriage issue becomes moot.  The Full Faith and Credit clause of the Constitution will, sooner or later, give legal force in every state to any marriage contract recognized by any other state.

Now it will be interesting to see whether the victorious proponents of gay marriage will show tolerance toward those who disagreed with them when the issue was still in dispute.

He didn't make nearly as loud of a fuss about the panning of Hamlet's Father. A few notes about his statement:

1. Issues regarding gay rights did exist in 1984. During the devastation of AIDS, loving men were denied the right to visit and comfort their dying partners because to the law they were not husbands but strangers. Media outlets not covering the issues doesn't mean they did not exist, and to claim otherwise is to whitewash history and justify the cruelty of one's own prejudices. His line is a misdirect in any case; people are protesting Card for his views, not the movie for its content.

2. Yes, the Full Faith and Credit clause will likely render state bans on gay marriage moot, eventually. It will not invalidate Card's decades of hateful statements: that homosexuals are the products of abuse and rape and suffer from "tragic genetic mixups"; that homosexual acts should have remained criminal actions; that any government that would change the definition of marriage is his "mortal enemy" that he would act to destroy.

3. The implication that boycotting is an act of intolerance and thus infers that to be tolerant one would have to see his movie. In other words, you have to pay Orson Scott Card in order to prove that you're tolerant of him.

4. Oppressed people are under no obligation to be tolerant of the bigoted views of their oppressors. Likewise, the intolerant have no grounds to demand that they be tolerated.

The timing and content of his statement exposes the craven, unprincipled greed of this man. He threw NOM under the bus and offered a withered olive branch only when his side had already lost, and even then only did so when opposition to his views threatened box office revenues.

The site for Skip Ender's Game can be found here.

Make sure not to miss a Towleroad headline by following @TLRD on Twitter.

Comments

1. You're a day late and a dollar behind, bud. You can't erase two decades of virulently anti-gay attacks because you hope to make some bank suddenly.

Posted by: sundayboy | Jul 9, 2013 8:50:35 AM

2. I'm so glad I never bought anything he produced. Not going to in a long time too.
    This is not a heartfelt apology, just a pathetic attempt to save business.

Not to mention that it is far from over and his side is still actively exporting hate to places like Africa.

Posted by: NaomiClareNL | Jul 9, 2013 8:53:56 AM

3. Screw Orson Scott Card and his attempt to enhance his financial worth off receipts from "Ender's Game" - the movie. He's a homophobic spreader of anti-gay lies and hate that'll get not one penny from me. He and his fellow NOMbies can rot in Hell for eternity for the damage they've done and continue to do to millions of LGBT Americans and their families/friends/supporters.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Jul 9, 2013 8:56:43 AM

4. Won't be seeing it.

Posted by: reality | Jul 9, 2013 8:58:30 AM

5. He's a Board Member of NOM. NOM has repeatedly called for boycotts of companies that support marriage equality. Did he ever publicly condemn those boycotts? NO. What a hypocrite.

Posted by: homer | Jul 9, 2013 8:58:38 AM

6. One word: "money".

Posted by: Geoff | Jul 9, 2013 8:59:25 AM

7. Tolerance is a two way street.

Posted by: Rafael | Jul 9, 2013 9:02:46 AM

8. So, wait... when he attacks us, that is fine. But when we stand up and fight back, we are being intolerant? Where was HIS tolerance all these years? The best way to make a point is to totally boycott this project, including the actors who have participated in it. And yes,... I do mean you, Han Solo!

Posted by: Reggie | Jul 9, 2013 9:08:33 AM

9. He can't tolerate our existence but he equate us not financially supporting him as intolerant?

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Jul 9, 2013 9:10:56 AM

10. Oh goody - the bigot's favorite excuse: "You're being intolerant of my intolerance! WAH!"

You'd think OSC would be smarter than that, but I guess not.

Here's a deal, Orson: You stop being a homophobic @$$hole, and then I'll go see your movie.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jul 9, 2013 9:13:36 AM

11. I'm rather fond of his books but...

So as to deprive the author of my hard earned dollars I always buy them used.

Posted by: Tony Konrath | Jul 9, 2013 9:19:33 AM

12. Orson Scott Card Pleads for Tolerance

Translation: please don't boycott my movie so that I can make lots of money.

Posted by: Gigi | Jul 9, 2013 9:22:50 AM

13. It's common sense that we try to stop someone who's gone out of their way to hurt us from making millions of dollars. Should we really trust that that money won't go to anti-gay organizations? You didn't make it easy for us, Card. Why should we make it easy for you?

Posted by: Yeek | Jul 9, 2013 9:29:44 AM

14. Sadly I bought Enders Game for Kindle before I realized what this dude stands for. I do find it strange and twisted that bigoted, ignorant people demand tolerance for stances. You want me to be tolerant of intolerance? Huh? Not going to happen. I hope the film flops.

Posted by: daws | Jul 9, 2013 9:35:26 AM

15. Let me remind everyone here what Mr. Card has said in the past and I quote, ""What these dictator-judges do not seem to understand is that their authority extends only as far as people choose to obey them.

How long before married people answer the dictators thus: Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn."

HE HAS CALLED FOR THE VIOLENT OVERTHROW OF ANY GOVERNMENT THAT WOULD GIVE LGBT persons full equality. That is a militant, hateful, religious fascist mindset that I WILL NEVER FORGIVE NOR FORGET.

Posted by: Michael Barber | Jul 9, 2013 9:37:50 AM

16. I knew Mr. Card at BYU in the early '70's, when gay people were actively persecuted by the university. I worked for the university and we were told to report anyone suspected of being 'homosexual' and they would be summarily kicked out and publicly shamed within the LDS community. This is the environment where Mr. Card learned his intolerance and it apparently has remained with him until today. He helped lead the LDS Church's Proposition 8 effort in California. He really should not be surprised if the proverbial chickens have come home to roost.

Posted by: Richard Judkins | Jul 9, 2013 9:40:20 AM

17. This is tolerance, you should try it Card.

Posted by: Fenrox | Jul 9, 2013 9:42:02 AM

18. http://fablog.ehrensteinland.com/2013/07/08/fait-diver-war-fever/

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 9, 2013 9:42:32 AM

19. Man, I'm glad I never paid for his books.

Posted by: rexxar | Jul 9, 2013 9:46:50 AM

20. I wouldn't go see a movie written by an unrepentant racist, so why would I go see a movie written by an unapologetic anti-gay bigot? No thanks. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Jul 9, 2013 9:54:04 AM

21. Actions speak louder than words. We aren't buying it. We also aren't going for the shame on top of shame routine.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | Jul 9, 2013 9:55:32 AM

22. I'm going to see the movie, regardless of the fact that Card might make some money off of it.

Why?

Because the team behind the movie do not share his values. They are simply trying to bring a fascinating story ABOUT CHILDREN to the masses, and the actors, producers, directors, etc...shouldn't have to be subject to the backlash that ONE man has caused. Y'all need to calm down.

Posted by: mg_xtra | Jul 9, 2013 9:57:59 AM

23. say what? money's involved, so the Mormon now pleads tolerance? Orson Scott Card's own intolerances are legendary, on the convention circuit. what changed (besides a movie coming out)?

Posted by: Zeta | Jul 9, 2013 10:01:13 AM

24. It's also a bit more than a "disagreement" when you are defending yourself against a group/individual who would seek to put laws in place to limit your guaranteed freedom based on their own religious ideals, not even those of the government/majority.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | Jul 9, 2013 10:01:51 AM

25. Bought and read EG when it came out, wasn't impressed enough to want to read any more of OSC's work. Gimmicks and twists were predictable and unsurprising. Can't imagine the movie will be worth the time and money and have no desire to line the pockets of a bigoted moron, er, mormon.

Posted by: Onnyjay | Jul 9, 2013 10:02:19 AM