Couples | Drag Queens | Las Vegas | News

BigGayDeal.com

Vegas Headliner 'Diva' Frank Marino Gets Engaged on Stage: VIDEO

Marino

Last Tuesday on the Las Vegas Strip a big, dazzling, gay marriage proposal took place when 'Divas Las Vegas' performer Frank Marino received a wedding proposal from Alex Schechter is the vice president of SPI Entertainment, the Las Vegas Sun reports:

The iconic “Divas Las Vegas” headliner was about to close his show at The Quad Showroom when the music stopped and the suspense started. Draped in the dripping-with-rhinestones gown and blond wig he typically favors to close the famous drag review, Marino stood stunned as his production was interrupted by a guy in a tuxedo gripping a microphone and a small box.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Couldn't he at least find a real woman to propose to?

Posted by: Jason | Jul 7, 2013 10:46:58 AM

2. That has to be the least enthusiastic acceptance of a marriage proposal I've ever seen. The poor guy put a huge amount of effort into it - the least a diva could do was smile - some sort of emotional moment would have been far more appropriate. Showmanship, darling, showmanship!

Posted by: Lymis | Jul 7, 2013 10:47:09 AM

3. Way to blow, Jason.

Posted by: Mikey | Jul 7, 2013 11:02:37 AM

4. The man in the dress looks unhappy. Why? I agree with Lymis -- showmanship!

Posted by: Zeta | Jul 7, 2013 11:10:57 AM

5. way to break stereotypes, "guys".
    Supreme faggotry.

Posted by: Hunter | Jul 7, 2013 11:11:19 AM

6. Why didn't he articulate his proposal? was he hoping the video would do it for him? Too flashy for my taste.

Posted by: Gast | Jul 7, 2013 11:17:11 AM

7. Trust me when I tell you that Frank is incapable of a wide range of human emotion. I live in Las Vegas. She aint Meryl Streep. However, Frank has a million dollar a year contract for many years now, plus he does a lot of commercials here in drag, so he must be doing something right.

Posted by: Jerry | Jul 7, 2013 11:22:51 AM

8. @Jerry, what happens in a world where transvestites are mainstream instead of novelty acts? Someone is going to do Frank's job better than Frank, what happens to Frank?

Posted by: Zeta | Jul 7, 2013 11:26:52 AM

9. Why are we degrading the term "diva" by letting any 2-bit drag queen appropriate that title? Just because you put on a wig, a dress, and some glitter does not make you a diva.

Posted by: will | Jul 7, 2013 11:32:11 AM

10. She DID smile when he was done Lymis! (And probably a lot more too.) After all if you had bothered to even look at the video you would have found out that it was their 20th anniversary as partners. Now because of the great Supreme Court ruling they can get married. Hope that you continue to have a wonderful and loving life together! (Love the pictures over the years.) Jason your despicable hate does NOT even deserve a mention except to say "Go away" you batsh*t crazy twit!

Posted by: Mike | Jul 7, 2013 11:32:43 AM

11. Congrats. But, I can't say I'm a big fan of public proposals. First, it's not fair to the person being asked, who doesn't have the option to say no. Second, it's an imposition on bystanders who may not really care. Third, it gives the appearance of compensating for something missing in the relationship.

Posted by: Merv | Jul 7, 2013 11:42:39 AM

12. Wasn't this the creepy guy that was on Millionaire Matchmaker a couple of years ago? Now we find out that he's engaged to his partner of 20 years. Gross.

Posted by: PeteP | Jul 7, 2013 11:47:01 AM

13. Well, Frank was on Millionaire Matchmaker at the end of 2011, and that didn't do so well. He told Patti he had been in a relationship for 18 years, but it didn't work out. Guess it's back on....Time will tell now, huh?

Posted by: jrtx | Jul 7, 2013 11:50:36 AM

14. @ Jason,

That is exactly the comment that your stupid Christianist relatives would make. In fact, they have made that comment before, and you're just mimicking your stupid relatives. Not that it will ever make them like you… but I guess that won't stop you from kissing their ass.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Jul 7, 2013 12:00:46 PM

15. @Mike, the problem is that Frank (who is a dude, not a chick) looked at Alex and his ring box, then looked back at the video presentation. If Frank were really into the 'surprise' proposal, then Frank would have stopped dead in his tracks at the site of his man on his knees with a ringbox, ignoring everything else.

That smile could be interpreted any number of ways. But the main action, for me, was Frank immediately turning away from Alex. Marriage isn't for everyone. Maybe it's not for Frank.

Frank did ask a good question, 'Do you get 50 percent?' Alex says '70!' and Frank is like 'eh, I will marry you'. But it wasn't a showy 'OMG I LOVE YOU SO MUCH IVE BEEN WAITING FOREVER FOR THIS MOMENT' type deal.

So............. how is divorce going to work with same sex marriage?

Posted by: Zeta | Jul 7, 2013 12:00:48 PM

16. @Will, Franks show is called Divas (formerly La Cage) and has been wildly successful on the strip for 20 plus years. Diva enough for me.

Posted by: Jerry | Jul 7, 2013 12:02:55 PM

17. @Merv, I agree. Surprise marriage proposals are great for girly girls who are into big productions about showing off that they finally got a ring and a man look-at-me! attention whoring it. That works for some people, just like the fairytale princess weddings which break the bank for years to come.

For everyone else, it's okay not to treat a marriage proposal like two virgins having sex for the first time on their wedding night.

Posted by: Zeta | Jul 7, 2013 12:04:56 PM

18. My name is Jason and I make vile comments because I am sad that no one will ever propose to a twatwaffle like me.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Jul 7, 2013 12:07:36 PM

19. @Hunter. I adore that stereotype!

Posted by: Tallulah | Jul 7, 2013 12:19:48 PM

20. What a bunch of pathetic harpies in the comments...good god. Congrats to them and I hope they're happy.

Posted by: Geoff M | Jul 7, 2013 12:21:49 PM

21. @GeoffM, I think we all hope they are happy. The video is kind of lukewarm, though. (I did enjoy the photo of them double palming some naked dude's butt cheeks a lot more than I should have.) I also noticed most of the pictures were waaaaaaaaay in the past, instead of recent. Or maybe it just appeared that way.

If they're happy, that's great. But it doesn't feel like when John and Scott announced a couple days ago.

Posted by: Zeta | Jul 7, 2013 12:28:39 PM

22. this story has inspired negative comments because a drag queen got proposed to, and the miserable never-been-f**ked trolls on here who were raised to hate drag queens be miiiiighty jealous.

damn those stereotypes being all stereotypical and enjoying life and falling in love!

:D
    congrats to the happy couple!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 7, 2013 12:47:38 PM

23. Cried. Again. People handle shock and surprises in myriad ways; perhaps the reserve was simply holding herself together. Whatever, "I will marry you" sounds pretty solid... I lost it right about the time that Alex's voice started to shake. It was clearly extremely important to him, and if they've been together 20 years, they probably both know what lies behind whatever their faces are showing.

The only, absolutely only thing that could ever convince me to live my life over would be to be able to be young and fall in love, again, now. (Neither of which is going to happen; which is probably why these videos move me so deeply.)

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Jul 7, 2013 1:15:38 PM

24. Trans people don't like drag because it mocks trans people.

Women don't like drag because it mocks women.

Gay people shouldn't like drag because it promotes stereotypes about gay men.

So why does drag persist like a bad infection?

Posted by: Phillip | Jul 7, 2013 1:25:16 PM

25. This is offensive. A marriage proposal is a serious life event. It isn't a theater act. It isn't a joke.

Drag cheapens everything.