Bullying | New Mexico | News

New Mexico Teen Commits Suicide, Blames Anti-Gay Bullying in Note Left on Twitter: VIDEO

Vigil

Carlos Vigil, a 17-year-old New Mexico teen took his own life this week after leaving a suicide note on Twitter, the Latin Post reports:

"I'm sorry to those I offended over the years. I'm blind to see that I, as a human being, suck. I'm an individual who is doing an injustice to the world and it's time for me to leave," read a post on Vigil's Twitter account, continuing: "The kids in school are right, I am a loser, a freak, and a fag and in no way is that acceptable for people to deal with. I'm sorry for not being a person that would make people proud."

"We found out three years ago that he was going through this stuff and we've been trying to help him every day since," said Vigil's father. "We realize he's been going through it every day since he was in the third grade, that's a long time for a child to hold that within himself."

KRQE reports:

Carlos’ dad rushed home when he heard about [the post on Twitter], but it was too late. Carlos was going to be a senior at Valley High — a school he transferred to last year to escape bullying at Los Lunas High School. He was picked on for everything from his weight and acne to his glasses.

His mom said it started when he was at least 8 years old.

“He had this lunchbox, a smiley face lunchbox, and people thought it was the funniest lunchbox ever, and they made fun of him for it,” Jacqueline said. “They grabbed it on the school bus and just threw it on the floor and broke it. It's just little things like that.”

The Latin Post reports that Vigil's family took him off life support on Sunday evening while KRQE reports he is still on life support and that the family plans to take him off after his organs are donated.

In any case, another life has been tragically lost to bullying.

Watch KRQE's report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Bullying victim attempts suicide

Comments

1. It seems it's always the most gentle and kind hearted that the cruel bastards go after. And the despair just becomes too much. Well, Carlos tried to make life better for others his age, and he probably did.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 16, 2013 2:49:22 PM

2. It seems it's always the most gentle and kind hearted that the cruel bastards go after. And the despair just becomes too much. Well, Carlos tried to make life better for others his age, and he probably did.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 16, 2013 2:49:22 PM

3. Amen Derrick

Posted by: melvin | Jul 16, 2013 3:03:48 PM

4. The bullies know who to go after, that's for sure. Another heartbreaking loss of life, thanks to people who teach others how to hate.

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 16, 2013 3:04:03 PM

5. His letter hit me like a ton of bricks. Wow. So unbelievably heartbreaking and tragic. Also a reminder that as much progress as we have made, that homophobia is still very very real, it's still rampant, gay marriage successes haven't changed that, and that includes with the youth, who we believe are going to save the day and change everything regarding LGBT acceptance and social relations. Just....I'm sorry Carlos. RIP.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Jul 16, 2013 3:04:53 PM

6. We lost another sweet and gentle soul.
    RIP Carlos.

Posted by: Gigi | Jul 16, 2013 3:04:59 PM

7. Rest in peace Carlos. May your death not be in vain. Condolences to his family and friends left behind to deal with his loss.

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 16, 2013 3:21:25 PM

8. RIP. So sorry he had to go through so much. I wonder are those, who bullied him, now happy or sad.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jul 16, 2013 3:40:35 PM

9. Very sad, and I'd like to know more about this "far from hospitable" reception he got in North Carolina. I would really like to know what happened, where he was speaking and how they feel about their handiwork.

Posted by: JY | Jul 16, 2013 3:42:41 PM

10. RIP Carlos. Sending you love and acceptance as you continue your journey. My condolences to the loved ones who endured the bullying with him and are now facing this tragic loss.

Posted by: Munro | Jul 16, 2013 3:43:21 PM

11. You'll notice that this story is the same as almost every other gay bullying story: there is no identification of any bully.

It is all described generically or in the passive voice. No perpetrators are ever named. There seems to be a convention that the press and the friends and families of the victims are all supposed to collude to protect the identities of the culprits. It is sick. The bullying didn't descend from the clouds and afflict this young man as an abstraction. It was perpetrated by specific individuals, who all have names. They should be named.

Posted by: Sam | Jul 16, 2013 3:53:45 PM

12. We should be careful about this story. It's dangerous to buy into the narrative that bullies cause suicide. Only those who kill themselves "cause" their own deaths. External forces can aggravate the mental states of those who are prone to suicide, but suicide is a much, much more complicated and difficult thing. It's too easy to say his death was the result of bullying or just bullying.

Posted by: reader | Jul 16, 2013 4:06:22 PM

13. This courageous young man's letter touched my heart and pissed me off! He was trying to make the world better for other gay kids, but no. The bigots in North Carolina won't have it. What in the world is wrong with these people!!!! This is a child!!

Posted by: Rob | Jul 16, 2013 4:13:08 PM

14. Yo, Mom: someone grabbing and breaking your school lunch box is not a little thing.

Posted by: Zeta | Jul 16, 2013 4:16:37 PM

15. This dead young man's life story is horrible. Yes, kids can and are cruel beyond belief. So aren't many adults.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 16, 2013 4:22:52 PM

16. @MATT26 Neither happy or sad, I would imagine. A similar horrendous thing happened to a good friend in my class and the guilty ones just went on to their next victim as quickly as possible. Even though they HAD to have known what the had done, they could not even admit it to themselves. [sigh]

Posted by: Mike | Jul 16, 2013 4:27:21 PM

17. Sorry. . . . What THEY had done . . .

Posted by: Mike | Jul 16, 2013 4:32:30 PM

18. How many people suffered bullying growing up? Many, actually. I was bullied off and on because I had a stutter and because this made me anxious and nervous I was quiet, which only made the bullying worse. And many of those people aren't the people you'd stereo-typically expect. I knew one kid who was a fantastic jock, good looking, the whole nine yards, but he was bullied, primarily because he was 'different' in various ways [I'm not saying he was gay, I don't know]. He was also generally quiet and didn't have a lot of friends. He lived alone with his single mom, they weren't comfortably middle class, had no car and so-on. We were friends and sometimes we'd just hang out and do stupid things young teenage boys do. I liked him. When I look at it now, I think he may have suffered from depression and anxiety, but I didn't know what all that was back then. I didn't dwell on his background and his family life, he was just a kid who was my friend and his mom seemed nice. They moved away and I never saw him again. I wonder occasionally what happened to him. I hope he's had a good life.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 16, 2013 4:32:34 PM

19. @ Reader,

I understand your view and you make a valid point, but when you read his final Twitter statement it's clear outside forces gave him too much pain.

When these tragic events happen you always ask why didn't somebody help him? His parents? A family member? A teacher or a classmate? Sometimes I don't think these hurting young folks ever tell anyone the pain they are going through before they make that final decision.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 16, 2013 4:33:14 PM

20. Yeah, the cruelness of it is how much the perpetrators never own their error. To them, it was nothing. They were just having "fun" or "didn't mean anything by it" or "never intended that" or "shouldn't have been taken seriously" or "were just letting out their stress as kids/boys/teenagers/grad-students" or worst of all and probably most common: they "would never do/say such a thing" or "are such nice people if you'd give them a chance."

I call bs on the bigots/monsters that teachers, schools, and admistrators enable time and time again. Those who should be taking a stand as a condition of their very employment aren't. Those who should be taking a stand as a condition of their employment are either unsupported by their bosses, looking for an easy way out by caving to the bullies, in sympathy with he bullies, or simply unconcerned and callous to the victims. I've seen all flavors. But there is no way to expect classmates to dependably stand up to this crap when teachers and schools and administrators refuse to show the leadership that everyone is looking to them for.

The problem is at the top. There should be zero tolerance. This life was another one too many. We will never results until we start demanding accountability from those who are charged with and failing at leadership: schools, six-figure-paid administrators, and those who refuse to support teachers' in the role to stamp out this bullying and keep the classroom focused on learning, not a place that inclulcates hate.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Jul 16, 2013 4:45:59 PM

21. Yeah, the cruelness of it is how much the perpetrators never own their error. To them, it was nothing. They were just having "fun" or "didn't mean anything by it" or "never intended that" or "shouldn't have been taken seriously" or "were just letting out their stress as kids/boys/teenagers/grad-students" or worst of all and probably most common: they "would never do/say such a thing" or "are such nice people if you'd give them a chance."

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Jul 16, 2013 4:46:00 PM

22. see results

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Jul 16, 2013 4:51:18 PM

23. At present it is not known whether the school or authorities plan or have initiated an investigation leading into Carlos Vigil’s suicide, which in and of itself perhaps goes some way to describe the attitudes the teenager had to contend with on an ongoing basis.

Posted by: scallywag | Jul 16, 2013 5:14:05 PM

24. Been there, somehow survived it.

Posted by: Drummond | Jul 16, 2013 5:27:34 PM

25. "It Gets Better", but what are we doing about "now"?

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Jul 16, 2013 5:43:59 PM