Jack Andraka | News | Science

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Teen Science Prodigy Jack Andraka is the Real-Life Doogie Howser: VIDEO

Andraka

16-year-old openly gay Jack Andraka developed a revolutionary new way to test for pancreatic, ovarian, and lung cancer, and he wants to revolutionize science education. He will enter the 11th grade this fall. Incredible.

Watch Andraka offer hope for changing the world, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This what I like, to see gay people who have and are distinguishing themselves in something more than entertainment. This kid is smart, creative, articulate and USEFUL! Woof.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 5, 2013 10:29:39 AM

2. There were gay scientists. Turing is the most well known because he was caught by police. There is strong evidence that Newton was one. A famous Russian mathematician called Kolmogorov lived with another male mathematician until his death.
    Of course every one was closeted in those days

Posted by: simon | Aug 5, 2013 10:43:35 AM

3. I love ya Jack! YES! We need more gays like Jack! And there are! They just need to come out! Watch out health care industry! Three cents instead of hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars to diagnose medical issues! See? It doesn't take millions of dollars of R&D. What it does take is IDEAS and good character to bring it to light and SHARE it with the world! I hope this kid is a millionaire soon because good people deserve it! His parents must be really proud of him because I don't know him and I am proud of him! It's a good gay news day!

Posted by: JT | Aug 5, 2013 10:43:59 AM

4. And, of course, "Doogie Howser" was the real-life Neil Patrick Harris. Nice symmetry.

Posted by: bcarter3 | Aug 5, 2013 10:57:51 AM

5. He just made my day. This is what happens when intellect and creativity are allowed to flow. Finally fear and stupidity are giving way to brilliance whatever its source. When human beings are able to focus on what matters everyone benefits. Jack you inspire me.

Posted by: m | Aug 5, 2013 11:08:23 AM

6. This young man is amazing - simply amazing! When you get the chance, go to YouTube and check out his TED presentation on his medical testing discovery. He had that audience mesmerized.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Aug 5, 2013 11:15:01 AM

7. Yes, thank you.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 5, 2013 11:19:45 AM

8. What an incredible guy. This video should be shown to every kid currently in school!

Posted by: Brian | Aug 5, 2013 11:25:03 AM

9. It's these kids that we need to protect so they can focus on doing great things for humanity instead of fearing for their lives.

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Aug 5, 2013 11:30:18 AM

10. Great guy, he must have great parents too. Congrats to both. Put him in front of Congress and all the hate groups, puff goes their arguments. A great example for gay kids as well a human kind.

Posted by: bructer | Aug 5, 2013 11:35:49 AM

11. Can you imagine the incredibly smart kids who are just languishing in our American substandard education system. Now what if we took a fraction of our military budget and invested it in kids like this, in no time we would be light years ahead of any other country, but its much more important to let the bible thumpers and small minded folk get their way. Sad really

Posted by: Akula | Aug 5, 2013 11:36:52 AM

12. What an inspiring young man. I'm so glad he is out, because that will help others to realize they aren't alone and there is life and achievement without shame.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 5, 2013 11:53:25 AM

13. He is fantastic, though I'm surprised that he hasn't skipped grades. It's not unusual to enter 11th grade at age 16. He must be really bored at school, no matter what kind of school he attends!

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 5, 2013 12:08:17 PM

14. Guys like that give me hope.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Aug 5, 2013 12:14:22 PM

15. WOW! GO JACK!!!

Posted by: andrew | Aug 5, 2013 12:20:13 PM

16. Jack Andraka is an inspiration! I'm so happy that our society has changed enough that a teenager like Jack can be open and proud of being gay! It indeed gets better!

Posted by: Howard | Aug 5, 2013 12:22:50 PM

17. His wiki page: "When asked by the author of the first article about his willingness to be interviewed and his sexual orientation, Jack responded "That sounds awesome! I’m openly gay and one of my biggest hopes is that I can help inspire other LGBT youth to get involved in STEM [Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics]. I didn’t have many [gay] role models [in science] besides Alan Turing."

Plus more links to his TED talks, etc. http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/standing-on-the-right-side-of-history-16-year-old-jack-andraka-is-the-edison-of-our-times/news/2013/03/23/61683

When I was his age, gays didn't exist, let alone brilliant gay teens (yes, I was the only one, just like everybody else).

Posted by: Hue-Man | Aug 5, 2013 12:36:49 PM

18. Puhleez. Some smug know it all kid shills for Big Pharma and he's supposed to be some sort of hero. I don't think so. His pancreatic cancer screening invention is only going to enrich the shareholders of Eli Lilly and other megacorporations. He's no hero!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Aug 5, 2013 12:58:39 PM

19. It's nice that he wants to encourage other LGBT youth to enter STEM fields, but it'd be nicer if he was encouraging *ALL* kids...

Way to go, Jack!

Posted by: MikeKV | Aug 5, 2013 12:59:19 PM

20. Oh, Littlekiwi, you are so, so funny today. Where'd you get that humorous streak? Puhleez, indeed, let's not encourage and recognize the young GLBT heroes among us!

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Aug 5, 2013 1:07:47 PM

21. @hadenenough: rick/jason/uffda/ratbastard posting as me.

why? simple: he hasn't a single good thing to say about himself.
    those who don't choose instead to lie about others.

it should be blatantly obvious when the cowards post in my name.

remember: i'm not the hack bigot with no brains. that's the troll.

he can post all he wants under my screen name. won't make my life worse, wont' make his life better. but it does provide, apparently, the only distraction available to keep him from killing himself.
    it's ok. if i had his life, i'd be bitterly jealous of me, too.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 5, 2013 1:10:27 PM

22. Ahhh, my deepest apology to Little Kiwi "the real" for my previous comment. You're absolutely correct, I failed to notice the fine distinction in the spelling of the false poster's name (LittleKiwi). It does make one wonder what on earth you did (!) to deserve his ridicule and fakery. Anyway, I should have known better that his earlier comment was not in keeping with the tone of your typical postings. Again, my sincerest apology.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Aug 5, 2013 1:19:45 PM

23. @Akula
    Couldn't agree more.
    Systematic destruction of the education system in the US is deliberate. An informed mind along with readily accessible information is tantamount to a successful democracy. The US is headed in the opposite direction and there are forces at work (Koch, ALEC, Michelle Rhee) pushing to make it so.
    This is another critical battle we have to take up.

Brilliant gay scientists Nikola Tesla, Alan Turing. And now Jack.

Posted by: JONES | Aug 5, 2013 1:21:17 PM

24. @Hadeneough: i'm Out, outspoken, visible and apparently present the "kind of gay" that the miserable troll had to Not Be in order to still only be Barely Tolerated by his family and community.

#notmyfault

it's no worry, my brother. :-)
    i've been Out since i was a teenager. I'm used to those with no balls being jealous of what I'm rocking ;-)

like i said, when one can't tell and show the truth about themselves, they'll try to lie about others.

but in the end, my life speaks for itself :D

*smooches*

and rock ON lil'science prodigy!!! well done!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 5, 2013 1:26:55 PM

25. Kiwi, can you please stop talking about yourself for one damned minute? This post is about Jack Andraka, this amazing kid who has potentially saved thousands of lives and accomplished more in his 15 years than you have in 38.

Brilliant teenage scientist vs. failed middle aged actor. Nuff said.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 5, 2013 1:52:55 PM