Cheyenne Jackson | News

Cheyenne Jackson Discusses Divorce from Husband, Joining AA: AUDIO

Actor Cheyenne Jackson appeared on The Frank DeCaro Show on SiriusXM OutQ yesterday and cleared up rumors that his personal life is spiraling out of control.

Said Jackson to DeCaro:

Jackson“I do have a mustache, but it’s for the new Ira Sachs movie with Alfred Molina and Marissa Tomei and John Lithgow, so that’s what that’s for. I do have a new tattoo, and it’s personal. I’m happy to tell… [the story behind it]…now because it’s out there, but you know, it’s for my dad. It’s song lyrics from an old Elvis song that he used to sing to me when I was little, and it was going to be a Christmas present, but I decided to give it to him early. And it was a beautiful, beautiful moment between us and, you know, it’s very special—and for that to be kind of reduced to gossip fodder is obnoxious, and well, you know what, I wasn’t going to go there but I will say that special moment with my dad came from something else that came out [Wednesday] in one of these f**king [reports] is that I’m in AA, and that happens to be true. I started my recovery last summer, and it became something I really wanted to focus on in my life, and repairing relationships with my family and such, so this is a really strong, beautiful time for me, personally. It also is a very sad time because I’m going through a divorce, but yeah, I mean, you know, some members of my family didn’t even know I was in Alcoholics Anonymous, so that was pretty f**ked up to actually have people [find out that way]…“

Added Jackson, when asked how he felt about being an out gay man having to issue a statement about his divorce:

“Yes, it is weird. But it’s a fact. And you just have to accept the way things are. Sometimes I think I am a little naïve to think that people even care, but they do. So you have to understand the significance that your relationship had to other people and I know that our marriage meant a lot to a lot of people…so that’s not lost on me, and I respect that…I didn’t want to have to say anything. The royals, the monarchy over in England always say ‘Never complain, never explain.’  And so I’d love to adhere to that, but the fact of the matter is, I did have to say something.  It was getting a little ugly, and my sister and brother were like ‘What’s up?’ So, it is kind of weird to have to make a statement about it….and Monte [Lapka] and I talked about it and decided what we wanted the statement to say…and it was nobody else’s business….yes, it is weird, but it is a fact.”

Listen to clips of the interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

“The Frank DeCaro Show” airs weekdays from 11:00 am – 2:00 pm ET on SiriusXM OutQ channel 109.

Comments

1. Um, to cry about being a "celebrity" and being "forced" to make a public statement is ironic.

Posted by: Sam | Aug 2, 2013 3:08:40 PM

2. Good luck to you, Cheyenne. These changes can't be easy. Don't listen to the nay-sayers. Sadly, there are those who will use your personal events/issues to try to beat you down.
    I can't wait to see what your next projects are!

Posted by: JimmyD | Aug 2, 2013 3:10:24 PM

3. In other words, my addiction destroyed my marriage.
    He'd said AA, not alcoholic, makes me wonder if he wound up on the Tina Train to Tragedy.

Posted by: QJ201 | Aug 2, 2013 3:46:35 PM

4. QJ201 - Is that what happened with you?

Posted by: JimmyD | Aug 2, 2013 3:54:25 PM

5. Seriously. Becoming a celebrity then making a stating about how terrible it is to have to make a statement about your personal life. You know what? You don't "have to" make statements about your personal life.

Posted by: Jerry | Aug 2, 2013 3:57:40 PM

6. His Christmas present to his father is a tattoo on his body, cheap ass. And Mom, this nose job I got is your Christmas present.

Posted by: Frank | Aug 2, 2013 4:02:56 PM

7. As others have pointed out, no one is forcing him to make statements about his personal life. As I learned a long time ago when I was a young lad, just because someone asks you a question doesn't mean you have to acknowledge it, yet alone answer it.

Posted by: Eric | Aug 2, 2013 4:08:51 PM

8. Too bad AA has the same success rate as just deciding to quit: about 5%.

Posted by: anon | Aug 2, 2013 4:26:35 PM

9. That Reddit "confession" is a total fraud

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 2, 2013 4:27:12 PM

10. Your integrity as an artist and your "life" events towards authenticity are inspirational. Stay on your path, good man. Your "vermont" fan club will keep you in our thoughts.

Posted by: Mark Alan | Aug 2, 2013 4:30:10 PM

11. In other words, my addiction destroyed my marriage.

Posted by: QJ201 | Aug 2, 2013 3:46:35 PM

So, you didn't read the entire article then?

"It also is a very sad time because I’m going through a divorce, but yeah, I mean, you know, some members of my family didn’t even know I was in Alcoholics Anonymous, so that was pretty f**ked up to actually have people [find out that way]…"

Posted by: theotherlee | Aug 2, 2013 5:49:17 PM

12. Cry me a freaking river. You VOLUNTARILY go into a profession that you know you have made it because you become famous/well known (in his case his fame is mostly limited to the gay world) and then complain when people want to know about your life? How about you go into a profession like accounting if you don't want people curious about your private life, especially when you actively seek publicity and attention.

Posted by: Ryan | Aug 2, 2013 5:55:34 PM

13. So you're new in AA?

You know what they tell new people? Take the cotton out of your ears & put it in your mouth.

If you do, you might hear someone talk about anonymity at the level of press, media, & film.

Here's 50cents, call your sponsor.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Aug 2, 2013 6:03:47 PM

14. David...what on EARTH are you talking about!?

Posted by: Rowan | Aug 2, 2013 6:13:32 PM

15. If Jackson doesn't want to be forced to make a statement about his divorce, he might choose to be more discreet when hitting on guys at parties.

Posted by: doug | Aug 2, 2013 7:05:56 PM

16. To this nonsense, i reply with:

Posted by: disco | Aug 2, 2013 7:27:31 PM

17. Funny how he tries to highlight the Alcoholic in AA ..... anyone who knows him knows it's not alcohol he has a problem with.

Posted by: Mansquito | Aug 2, 2013 7:51:13 PM

18. what is the problem? drugs?

Posted by: disco | Aug 2, 2013 8:00:47 PM

19. The tattoo really doesn't make much sense as a Christmas present for his dad. I wonder how much of that interview is just P.R. BS.

This all came out because he went to that hollywood Speedo party given by some celeb. and he was showing off his new boyfriend and tattoos. The boyfriend was somebody who was once (or still is) heavily into drugs and alcohol and Cheyenne has a history of both. Supposedly they met at AA last year.

Posted by: m.r. | Aug 2, 2013 9:28:28 PM

20. He's a very sweet and talented guy. Give him a break.

Posted by: Richard | Aug 2, 2013 9:43:27 PM

21. These celebrities have way too much money which means they don't have to work much which means they have way too much time on their hands. Then they start getting into tattoos, alcohol, drugs, cheating on their partners, religions etc - anything to relieve their boredom.
    They need to get REAL jobs like the rest of us and then they wouldn't have time to invent these little crises for media attention.

I have no sympathy for these lazy, over-privileged celebrities.

Posted by: Icebloo | Aug 2, 2013 9:46:53 PM

22. Why do you guys care? Dull dull dull.

Posted by: David | Aug 2, 2013 10:22:35 PM

23. AA: At the public level of press, radio, TV, films and other media technologies such as the Internet, anonymity stresses the equality in the Fellowship of all members by putting the brake on those who might otherwise exploit their A.A. affiliation to achieve recognition, power, or personal gain.

Posted by: Kissyfur | Aug 2, 2013 10:49:10 PM

24. I have no idea who he is

Posted by: Zo | Aug 3, 2013 12:29:54 AM

25. I love how honesty is downplayed here. He was forthright and open about it and some people think he deserves to be fed to the wolves. It's not like gay people have so many allies that we can attack each other like this. You should be ashamed of yourselves. I suppose you are just treating him like an equal, but that doesn't mean much when you have no respect for yourself. I have no right to condone/condemn him, but apparently some of you think that you were given that right. You are all such epitomes of virtue and morality. And to think that we try to fight against hypocrisy.

Posted by: Michael | Aug 3, 2013 4:01:45 AM