Ellen DeGeneres | Gay Media | Gay Stories | News | News Clips | Oscars | Video

BigGayDeal.com

Ellen Degeneres To Host 2014 Academy Awards: VIDEO

Ellen Oscars

Ellen Degeneres, one of the foremost funny people in America, will be hosting the 2014 Academy Awards on March 2, 2014. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences made the announcement this morning amid the already fresh buzz about the newly elected president of the Academy, Cheryl Boone Isaacs. Isaacs is the first African-American president of the Academy, and she resoundingly approved of Ellen's nomination to host.

The Hollywood Reporter reports:

Ellen DeGeneres will host this year's Oscars. DeGeneres herself announced the news Friday morning on Twitter, writing, "It's official: I'm hosting the #Oscars! I'd like to thank @TheAcademy, my wife Portia and, oh dear, there goes the orchestra."

DeGeneres previously hosted the show in 2007 and earned a Primetime Emmy nomination for her work.

"I am so excited to be hosting the Oscars for the second time. You know what they say -- the third time's the charm," DeGeneres said in a statement.

Ellen is receiving support from all involved with the Academy and with the Oscars broadcast, due largely to her warmth, a refined sense of humor, and her universal appeal (qualities which many felt this year's host, Seth MacFarlane, lacked).

Zadan and Meron added: "We are thrilled to have Ellen DeGeneres host the Oscars. As a longtime friend, we had always hoped to find a project for us to do together and nothing could be more exciting than teaming up to do the Oscars. There are few stars today who have Ellen's gift for comedy, with her great warmth and humanity. She is beloved everywhere and we expect that the audience at the Dolby Theatre, and in homes around the globe, will be as excited by this news as we are."

Newly elected Academy President Isaacs said, "I agreed with Craig and Neil immediately that Ellen is the ideal host for this year's show. We're looking forward to an entertaining, engaging and fun show."

Dawn Hudson, Academy CEO added. "Ellen is talented, wonderfully spontaneous, and knows how to entertain a worldwide audience. She's a big fan of the Oscars; we're huge fans of hers. It's a perfect match."

Meanwhile, ABC Entertainment Group president Paul Lee said, "It is an honor to welcome back Ellen DeGeneres as the host of the biggest entertainment celebration of the year. She is the consummate entertainer, equally beloved by her peers in the industry, movie fans and television viewers. We very much look forward to having her back on ABC for Oscar Sunday."

Degeneres was previously nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award for her hosting abilities. Let's hope the second (and the third, and the fourth...) time's the charm.

Watch Ellen's previous Oscar hosting gig, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Perfect host for these tired times. An overexposed gay woman who is afraid to be negative.

Posted by: Gee | Aug 2, 2013 2:15:12 PM

2. GEE - Clearly, your comedic style is far greater than hers, which was why you were also in the running to host the Oscars, right?

Posted by: Matt | Aug 2, 2013 2:26:24 PM

3. I don't worship false gods. The Oscars don't exist anymore.

Posted by: Josh | Aug 2, 2013 2:31:02 PM

4. I don't worship false gods. The Oscars don't exist anymore.

Posted by: Josh | Aug 2, 2013 2:31:02 PM

5. You're right Matt. I was asked, but I didn't want to pretend to be a perfect example of a gay person. Too draining to make all those people "like" me.

Posted by: Gee | Aug 2, 2013 2:35:27 PM

6. I don't think the Oscars could do anything, really, to make me sit through that pompous annual snorefest. Maybe NPH.

Posted by: Ken | Aug 2, 2013 2:48:45 PM

7. Perfect? Hum..... NPH is far more talented, can sing, dance, do magic tricks, tell jokes, his handsome, has a husband and two children. I think he would have been the better of the two. Still, Ellen is a fine host.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Aug 2, 2013 2:50:57 PM

8. "I don't worship false gods. The Oscars don't exist anymore.

Posted by: Josh | Aug 2, 2013 2:31:02 PM"

Oh girl, I just love when an acid casualty queen writes.

BTW, is your name Mark?

Posted by: huh? | Aug 2, 2013 2:58:17 PM

9. PCH would be better.

Posted by: Josh | Aug 2, 2013 3:02:28 PM

10. Never took acid, but I have tried every shampoo and conditioner. Sorry I'm not one of you "casualty" friends.

Posted by: Josh | Aug 2, 2013 3:10:23 PM

11. Oh Josh,

Your sense of humor is borderline, so I totally dig it.

Reminds me of Tzara a bit.

Please make your funny stuff more available!

Posted by: HUH? | Aug 2, 2013 3:35:40 PM

12. Yeah, Gee, I'm going to guess that making people not like you happens with very little effort on your part.

Posted by: ger | Aug 2, 2013 3:36:07 PM

13. Thumbs up to GER for that one, baby!

Posted by: HUH? | Aug 2, 2013 3:42:26 PM

14. @ HUH?

Thank you. I understand now that JOSH was making fun of how folks use the initials NPH for Neil Patrick Harris when he said, "PCH would be better".

I had to google "PCH" to try and find out who JOSH was talking about. All I could come with was Publishers Clearing House.

But it's ok (deep sigh)...for a while I was afraid he was trying to say PCP was better.

You weren't, were you, JOSH?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 2, 2013 3:50:27 PM

15. PCH is Pacific Coast Highway. I live in LA. If people get me fine. I'm very good at making people like me in person. My comments are another thing. I have a way with words but I don't dwell on it.

Posted by: Jake | Aug 2, 2013 4:04:03 PM

16. I'm psyched for Ellen & the show. She did do a great job previously.

I'll miss the 'bite' that some of the more recent hosts have offered (I think we all know Hollywood takes itself a bit too seriously) but no question, she's a fantastic choice. Maybe she'll invite Mrs Obama back, I hope so!

NPH, also fantastic, but at this point he's much more the patron of Broadway & has done a fabulous job making that show interesting again.

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Aug 2, 2013 6:12:48 PM

17. I had read Justin Timberlake has made serious overtures to the Oscar producers to host the show, so I'm fine with anybody else including Glenn Beck.

Posted by: MIke | Aug 2, 2013 10:10:33 PM

18. Great choice. I love her positive approach to life and comedy!

Posted by: andrew | Aug 3, 2013 1:57:37 PM