Chelsea Manning | News | Transgender

BigGayDeal.com

FOX News Plays 'Dude Looks Like a Lady' Over Photograph of Chelsea Manning: VIDEO

Fox_manning

FOX & Friends played Aerosmith's "Dude Looks Like a Lady" over a photograph of Chelsea Manning today, and took the time to caption the title of the song as well, for those listeners that didn't quite get it.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

While FOX seems to have decided on the offensive approach to the Manning story a while back, the AP and NYT have finally figured out their approaches, Think Progress reports:

In a blog post announcing the decision on Monday, the AP said the new policy is in conformity with its style guidelines:

The use of the first name Chelsea and feminine pronouns in Manning’s case is in conformity with the transgender guidance in the AP Stylebook. The guidance calls for using the pronoun preferred by the individuals who have acquired the physical characteristics of the opposite sex or present themselves in a way that does not correspond with their sex at birth.

The New York Times confirmed on Monday that it too will refer to Manning as female, beginning Tuesday. Its Manual of Style and Usage notes that for a transgender individual, “[u]nless a former name is newsworthy or pertinent, use the name and pronouns (he, his, she, her, hers) preferred by the transgender person.”

In related news, MSNBC, Slate, Huffington Post, and NPR have all begun referring to Chelsea by her chosen name but CNN has not.

Comments

1. Sorry, I still don't want my tax dollars to buy him a snatch in prison. Keep trying though, Im sure you've convinced some of these guys.

Posted by: JWL | Aug 27, 2013 2:40:31 PM

2. Stay classy as always, Fox "News".

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Aug 27, 2013 2:41:40 PM

3. JWL, are you retarded ?

I ask because surgery for trans people IS ENTIRELY tax-deductible.

So STFU, you trolling piece of human garbage.

Posted by: Meah | Aug 27, 2013 2:42:20 PM

4. Crass and unprofessional for a "news" organization? Yes. Also funny? Yes.

Posted by: Blake | Aug 27, 2013 2:42:25 PM

5. Sexual reassignment surgery is tax deductible? Im not sure what that means. Are you saying that if he gets it done he can write it off on his taxes?

Posted by: ThomasInLA | Aug 27, 2013 2:46:38 PM

6. Dude looks like an ugly lady more like it.

Posted by: Donald | Aug 27, 2013 2:48:09 PM

7. Sorry MEAH your brilliant retort did not convince me.

Posted by: JWL | Aug 27, 2013 2:49:01 PM

8. Even though I'm not big on trans issues, I do find the FOX antics offensive and as Blake said very unprofessional for a news org.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Aug 27, 2013 2:49:25 PM

9. The irony here is what's actually newsworthy:

Fox News acting like bigots? Typical.

Rampant transphobia from the queer "community" above me?^ Appalling.

Breaking News: Towleroad Readers Behave Like the Backwards Bigots They Claim to Abhor

Posted by: Cole | Aug 27, 2013 3:19:46 PM

10. JWL , it's really ok that you want to have a vagina, too. I mean, statistically speaking, those who protest the loudest are most likely to secretly harbor a desire for whatever it is they're making fun of. So, please know that whenever you choose to have your offending penis removed, I will be in full support of you. (((hugs!)))

Posted by: Sam | Aug 27, 2013 3:27:26 PM

11. Transphobia on a gay news blog.... oh irony.

Posted by: Bryce Ageno | Aug 27, 2013 4:05:11 PM

12. Shameful.

Posted by: Marc | Aug 27, 2013 4:12:22 PM

13. Clutching pearls.

Let me ask you, isn't the song itself offensive??!!! ?

Clutches pearls tighter.

Posted by: MIke | Aug 27, 2013 4:38:49 PM

14. Not at all surprised by Fox News. And they wonder why no one intelligent takes them seriously as a news organization.

Posted by: Tintin Malfoy | Aug 27, 2013 5:02:15 PM

15. Faux has really decided that they want to be the slime network.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Aug 27, 2013 5:11:26 PM

16. LOL! Pretty funny if you ask me. I have no respect for trans activists and their many demands.

For those of you living in fantasy land thinking that Manning is going to get this surgery on the taxpayers' dime and then get out on parole in 7 years, dream on. There is no way that the Pentagon is ever going to authorize this surgery and Manning is probably the least likely person in the military prison system to win early release. No, our dear "Chelsea" is in for a few decades, with lotsa facial hair, no boobies and a wang.

Posted by: Donny | Aug 27, 2013 6:12:49 PM

17. So.. just to get this right: one doesn't have to legally change one's name or begin taking hormone therapy. One just has to say, 'Today, I am', and the newspapers have to abide?

Does that apply to everyone, or just trannies?

Posted by: Zeta | Aug 27, 2013 6:37:02 PM

18. The day Freddie Mercury died, Rush Limbaugh played "Another One Bites The Dust", and laughed over it.

I've hated him, and refuse to speak to anyone that expresses admiration of him, ever since.

Posted by: Meah | Aug 27, 2013 6:41:56 PM

19. I actually think the NY Times, for one, should stick to using "Bradley Manning," because according to their own guidelines, as posted above, the new name under the chosen gender should be used "unless a former name is newsworthy or pertinent."

I happen to think the name Bradley Manning is suitably famous (or infamous as the case may be) for his rather noteworthy deeds. And, to use a fictional example, commemorating Betty Armstrong's first walk on the moon would be needlessly confusing.

Even Chelsie admits that "Bradley" must be used on official mail. And I hope she realizes that anything beyond hormone treatments is never going to happen in prison, and she'll be lucky to get even that. But her quest for transition is NOT what makes her newsworthy. All her newsworthiness was under the well-known name of Bradley Manning, and I believe all news organizations should continue to use that name.

Posted by: Zlick | Aug 27, 2013 6:53:22 PM

20. Oh I'm pretty sure a couple of you have missed the point. Just because I don't want my tax dollars paying for a felon's elective surgeries and associated meds does not make me anti trans.

Posted by: JWL | Aug 27, 2013 7:52:54 PM

21. JWL: How do you justify not providing that treatment for her, if it's diagnosed as medically necessary?

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Aug 27, 2013 8:01:41 PM

22. @ THEDRDONNA - it''s an "it", like all trannies are.

Why should we have to worship some group of freaks who fail at the gender they're born with?

Posted by: SquareRiz | Aug 27, 2013 9:30:54 PM

23. Wow. The transphobia on this board is shameful. And the oppressed become the oppressors...

Posted by: brian | Aug 27, 2013 10:11:50 PM

24. What's going on with Towleroad lately. The comment section is starting to resemble all the garbage I usually see under a Yahoo article. Other gay blogs like JoeMyGod and even Queerty don't have this level of hate. You really shouldn't even allow hate comments like Squareriz on here.

Posted by: m.r. | Aug 27, 2013 11:27:55 PM

25. Apparently if you disagree with a trans person in any way you are suddenly transphobic. Well let me tell you that I am anything but transphobic. I am a 42yr old business owning and tax paying flaming liberal by every definition of the word. However, I do NOT support paying for felons to have surgeries that I pay for other than in emergent situations. And NO having hormone replacements and having his wang cut off is certainly not emergent. Im not a bit concerned about it though because that is never going to happen.

Posted by: Jerry | Aug 28, 2013 12:05:49 AM