Gay Marriage | Gay Marriage Proposal | Gay Stories | Military | News

Gay Sailor Celebrates His Homecoming With A Proposal

Jerrel-Revels-Dylan-Kirchnerx400
Any readers out there looking for a distraction from the drama currently taking place in Russia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Twitter can kindly step right up and enjoy this hearwarming story fresh from USA Today

A crowd of approximately 200 gathered at the dock of the Naval Submarine Base New London in Connecticut to welcome home the USS New Mexico. Among those in attendance was Dylan Kirchner, who was there to greet his boyfriend Machinist's Mate Jerrel Revels. Kirchner ended up getting a little more than he bargained for, and was surprised when Revels got down on one knee and popped the question. Kirchner confessed to The Day that, while he had previosuly given thought to getting married, yesterday's proposal proved to be completely unexpected. "I didn't really care everybody was around. It felt just like the two of us," he said.

They have not yet set a wedding date.

USA Today reports that:

"Defense officials estimate there are 18,000 same-sex couples in the active-duty military, National Guard and Reserves. It's unclear how many of those are married."

Luckily, as gay soldiers feel safe enough to celebrate their realtionships publicly, those fogures will likely become much more concrete.

Comments

1. Not to be that person, but lol at "heartworming."

Posted by: lulz | Aug 13, 2013 7:53:42 PM

2. Hopefully we'll find out if he accepts or not.

18K seems a bit low unless they mean both partners are in active duty.

Posted by: anon | Aug 13, 2013 8:08:25 PM

3. A solid majority of gay troops aren't out in the military. 70% are completely closeted while deployed and numbers are higher w/men than with women so the number of male couples in the military reported is likely significantly less than the real number.

This is a beautiful story, congrats to the happy couple!

Posted by: Francis #1 | Aug 13, 2013 8:16:35 PM

4. AWESOME. After reading the depressing views of the Vietnam Era draft dodger, Pat Buchanan (he had a bad knee) actually he had a yellow spinal streak, it is so good to see this out and proud young gay man who is serving his country in the USN.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 13, 2013 8:32:16 PM

5. I am so spoiled by the youtube marriage proposals. I can't appreciate this romance until I see video! Who took this picture? Why wasn't it filmed? I need to hear inflections of voices!

Posted by: will | Aug 13, 2013 8:38:39 PM

6. Congrats to these two!

Posted by: J.J. in the Navy | Aug 13, 2013 9:25:32 PM

7. There will be seamen on his poop deck later tonight!

Posted by: Sam | Aug 13, 2013 10:00:31 PM

8. Maybe now, could it possibly finally be, as normal and American as apple pie.

Posted by: StevyD | Aug 13, 2013 10:16:17 PM

9. SWEET! I am very happy for them.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Aug 13, 2013 10:44:18 PM

10. I spent six months in a military prison in 1990 for making a pass at my roommate. To see a guy, in uniform, asking his man to marry him? Wow.

Posted by: Tigerama | Aug 13, 2013 10:57:59 PM

11. So good to see this happening. Nevertheless the worrying part is that the world is polirizing on moral grounds that includes sex in general and gay sex in particular as a way to show “identity from the West” and it is not clear who will have the last word or if it will become an issue so important that will end up being embedded into the jingoism of many countries’ legislation.

Posted by: SAYTHETRUTH | Aug 13, 2013 11:46:42 PM

12. Congrats to the happy couple.

Not to be "that guy" either, but you changed "heartworming" to "hearwarming" (is that anything like ear muffs?). If you're not going to bother making sure it's correct the second time, why bother? And as far as I know, "fogores" isn't the numerical expression you think it is.

You don't have to be an English major to be a blog contributor, but for chrissakes find the spell-check feature. It's on practically every text application on the market except Windows Notepad.

Posted by: sparks | Aug 14, 2013 12:14:26 AM

13. Additional pictures in this British coverage.

Posted by: Stan D | Aug 14, 2013 12:33:47 AM

14. Who could possibly refuse that handsome sailor? Congrats guys.

Posted by: jleo71 | Aug 14, 2013 12:40:45 AM

15. This isn't news. Next.

Posted by: GOD | Aug 14, 2013 1:39:30 AM

16. It's funny, I've seen so many marriage proposal videos that to *just* read a story about a proposal feels like something is missing. I know, I know, we've all gotten so spoiled, haven't we? But I must say, it is sort of sweet that the emphasis was on the couple and NOT having something recorded to share. Just a good ol' fashioned proposal like they did in the "old days" before YouTube. :-)

Posted by: Marc | Aug 14, 2013 2:16:58 AM

17. "fogures"?

Posted by: marks | Aug 14, 2013 7:06:09 PM

18. One of the blogs I read regularly always links to this site and I like to check it out. Then I come to the comments section and I always wonder: Is this a gay-friendly site? Why is there always so much cynicism and gay-bashing? I know that there is always a difference of opinion, but why on something like this. You don't have to be "happy" for strangers, but you also don't have to be a condescending d*** about it either.

Posted by: Michael | Aug 14, 2013 10:42:05 PM