Gaymercon | San Francisco | Video Games

BigGayDeal.com

San Francisco Hosts GaymerX, The World's First Gay Video Game Convention: VIDEO

GaymerX Opening Ceremonies

Last weekend hundreds of gay video gamers, or "gaymers", descended upon the Kabuki Hotel in San Francisco to attend the first ever convention created just for them: GaymerX, neé GaymerCon. The brainchild of Matt Conn, GaymerX was created so that there would be "a space where all gamers and queer geeks can come together in a welcoming and safe space." The project's Kickstarter received over triple its goal funding of $25,000 and had over 1,500 backers.

The event took over two floors of the hotel with vendor tables from companies large and small, and a weekend schedule was filled with panels and parties. Guests of honor, or "bosses" as they were dubbed, counted among them transgender designer and activist Anna Anthropy, Drag Race contestant Pandora Boxx (who debuted as Batman's Harly Quinn), and voice actress Ellen McClain who is best known for her role as GLaDOS, the malevolent AI from Valve's Portal series.

The highlight of the weekend came during the Saturday panel entitled "Voice Acting 101," hosted by Ellen and her husband John Patrick Lowrie (The Sniper, Team Fortress 2). At one point Ellen conducted a sing-along for Portal's ending theme, "Still Alive," and then took things in an unanticipated direction. I don't want to spoil the surprise, so you can see a video of the event courtesy of GayGamer.net ... AFTER THE JUMP...

If you prefer to skip past the sing-along, fast forward to the 5:00 mark and you can get right to the surprise at 8:00.

Comments

1. Lets segregate to fight segregation! I am a "gaymer" I guess. Just like the 'It gets better project' says, the only way to be free is to be open and honest so others can feel they can be too. I don't need my own gaming convention. Most nerds I meet don't give a crap. They only care about how good of a GAMER I am.

Posted by: Tonez | Aug 9, 2013 9:08:34 PM

2. Are regular gamer conventions not welcoming or safe?

Posted by: butch | Aug 9, 2013 9:37:54 PM

3. Let's criticize people who want to create a community safe space for people who share similar interests! Why would anyone want to be around those who won't be judging them for who they are when they just want to have fun? My personal anecdotal experiences speak for everyone, so let's deride those who don't have my sense of community.

Posted by: Phillip | Aug 9, 2013 9:45:03 PM

4. Love seeing Pandora Boxx in this pic!

Posted by: TL | Aug 9, 2013 9:57:36 PM

5. Amen Phillip.

Posted by: Polyboy | Aug 9, 2013 9:57:40 PM

6. Depends. I've encountered quite a bit of antigay behavior in MMO's and in gaming groups. Not to say there aren't plenty of gay friendly people out there, but let's face it, games/comics are aimed squarely at straight boys. It's better than it was 20 years ago, but as in all things, change comes slowly. Doesn't help that many in the industry take a "that's just the way things are" attitude about it.

The con, which wasn't some "no straights allowed" affair btw, had a lot of guests which were specifically aimed at the glbt community. Artists, game designers, etc. who tend to get lost or overlooked in normal cons, are able to better reach their audiences.

Posted by: LiamB | Aug 9, 2013 9:59:28 PM

7. It was so much fun being there. I miss it.

I don't think this was about trying to end segregation as much as it was about creating a safe space. I kept hearing about people (especially female attendees) saying that this was the first con where they didn't feel uncomfortable. Also, some said this was the first time anyone had asked them what pronoun they preferred to be addressed as. It was such a positive weekend. I didn't come across anyone with a bad attitude.

Posted by: Will | Aug 9, 2013 10:04:06 PM

8. I was there and maybe its because I had just come from Comic Con but I found it to be VERY boring and not really "con" like, it was really spread out and not many booths were there. but I guess it was ok.

Posted by: k | Aug 9, 2013 10:38:28 PM

9. That was an adorable marriage proposal :-)...

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Aug 9, 2013 11:23:02 PM

10. FUN! I would SOOOOOOO geek out and go to this is I lived close by!!

Posted by: Frankie | Aug 10, 2013 2:49:17 AM

11. Awww that was cute. Good for them.

Posted by: J.J | Aug 10, 2013 2:49:37 AM

12. O.k I'm attending this next year. Hate hearing about events after the fact.

Posted by: Junior | Aug 10, 2013 2:50:03 AM

13. It's possible to go to a regular mainstream event AND an LGBT oriented event. Some of us have time to do both and enjoy the aspect of going to an event to socialize with our own peeps and walk away with some LGBT friends. I love going to events that are LGBT oriented and that love will never change nor will I ever apologize for what makes me happy.

Posted by: Sector Space | Aug 10, 2013 2:53:27 AM

14. I love the concerned gay trolls who get all livid that we have spaces and outlets that are gay themed. Now never mind the many religious organization events, latino festivals, African American festivals, mom day special events, and every other plethora of event happening daily for various groups and demographics.....gays, you better blend in with society or else you're being uppity and an extremist activist.

Bring on the gay events. My friends and I have and will gladly continue attending them.

Posted by: Lisa | Aug 10, 2013 2:56:23 AM

15. @ Tonez
    STFU. it's not segregation. It's called loving having a designated environment once in a while to celebrate our community and yeah, God damnit, sometimes I do prefer the company of fellows gays and lesbians.

As for this little shin dig. As a card carrying proud dork, I wish I would have gone. Even if it was small scale. Still looks fun.

Posted by: Benjamin Sea-shore | Aug 10, 2013 2:58:15 AM

16. Very cool. Congrats on tagging the wonderful event.

Posted by: H | Aug 10, 2013 3:00:59 AM

17. Tonez-
    Stop telling other gay people how to appropriately be gay. And how to not attend a gay inspired gathering. Makes you look cheap. As cheap as our detractors who also want to police our activities and existence. You do you. Let me go to as many gay book club readings and volleyball tournaments as my heart desires. And I will.

Posted by: Jeremy | Aug 10, 2013 3:05:07 AM

18. The problem is usually with unmoderated online gaming, so I'm not sure how this helps. On the other side, it does show the gaming industry just how many LGBT players there are out there.

Posted by: anon | Aug 10, 2013 8:21:41 AM

19. Good for them. Creative event and though I'm not a gaymer, I do support that they have a "gay games" event that is for our community

Posted by: Solad | Aug 10, 2013 7:28:37 PM

20. This isn't the first...exciting, definitely...fun, absolutely...but not the first. Get the news right

Posted by: dana | Aug 10, 2013 8:03:49 PM

21. Any way you look at it, this is unnecessary separatism and that's a bad mind-set for our community and unfortunately becoming more common.

Posted by: Squeak | Aug 11, 2013 4:35:57 PM

22. Anyone else see the irony in complaining about "separatism" on a gay blog?

Posted by: AladinSane | Aug 11, 2013 9:45:51 PM

23. I''m ALL about gay events, and if other demographics (like latinos, black, religious, cultural) can have events celebrating who they are, musical festivals for their communities, Puero rican pride parade....we too can AND WILL have gay events for gay people, and that will never stop!

Posted by: SeeYo | Aug 12, 2013 8:05:30 AM

24. I love it. I'm part of a gay volleyball team because I love hanging out with gay people. Like mind people. No shame in that either. This looks fun and if I'm in San Fra next year, I'll be sure to check the gaymer event out.

Posted by: Jim | Aug 12, 2013 8:07:09 AM

25. @2, It works like this:

E3: Mostly for corporations, little fun, all games.
    SDCC: Largest comic convention, fun (not really), also mostly for corporations.
    PAX: For gamers, by Gamers, some non game stuff, FUN.
    All other conventions: Lame.

Blunt but true, the first two are not welcoming as they are playing to a corporate mindset of what geeks want. So boobs boobs boobs. PAX is for everyone and is amazing. If anyone had a bad time at PAX it is likely their fault or a rare altercation. All other conventions are lame because they don't get enough people and therefore generally have no events or things to do.

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 12, 2013 11:47:41 AM