Bear Grylls | News | Reality TV

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Men Break Personal Barriers for Another Contestant on Bear Grylls' 'Get Out Alive': VIDEO

Krieger

Kyle Krieger and Royce Wadsworth are competing on the NBC Bear Grylls survival show Get Out Alive. In this week's episode, Ryan, a heterosexual contestant from Alabama, has a revelation when he discovers that Kyle and Royce are gay.

Krieger writes us: "It was a super special moment for us on the show because we felt like we were breaking ground on different worlds colliding and getting along."

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. As my mother asked me about a year ago, 'Is EVERYONE on TV gay now?!'

No, mom, they have ALWAYS been there.

Posted by: Princely | Aug 7, 2013 10:00:11 AM

2. Different morals indeed. Christians are usually divisive, hateful and smug. The only moral anyone needs is empathy for one's fellow man.

Posted by: Michael Barber | Aug 7, 2013 10:05:21 AM

3. I love these guys and have been following them faithfully from the beginning. At first they stayed in the background and it was obvious to me they were a gay couple. It's just the campy way they say stuff. As the episodes have gone by they have proven to be the only team to be helpful, encouraging, smart and a pleasure to watch and be around. They are incredibly funny. When Bear traversed down a mountain side they pan to Royve efo says "Bear's pretty badass.." And then like a little school girl say, "He is!" He is so cute and very funny.

Kyle is the more animated and vocal of the two. They are overwhelmingly hot, hunky and handsome. I can"t believe that now in Episode 6 the other teams are realizing they are gay. From episode 1 you really couldn't miss them. In last week's episode they beat out the most macho team building a snare and making it work. When declared the winner they were jumping in each other's arms , rolling about and hugging. They did everything but kiss and I am sure that's because either the show (NBC) encouraged them not to in pre-interviews or they didn't want to freak the other teams out. Royce is my favorite. I'd crawl into his sleeping bag any time and I wouldn't kick Kyle out if he joined in. Watch the show. Right after American Ninja Warrior here on the West Coast.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Aug 7, 2013 10:16:11 AM

4. Really like the gay guys on the show - they're really holding their own

And Ryan is very hot - had my eye on him from day one!

Posted by: Richie | Aug 7, 2013 10:24:49 AM

5. The winners get a half a million dollars! If these two win I wonder if they will throw a big lavish wedding. If you go to the NBC website you can see Royce interview Kyle in the shower. They live together in Hollywood and work in the movie industry (finance). Great show. I've been trying to get all my friends to watch. I don't miss it.

BTW, look up the names of Bear's kids on Wikipedia. He has like three boys named Marmaduke, Huckleberry and Jesse. He is Irish and has quite a background. Who names their kid Marmaduke???

Posted by: CarySF | Aug 7, 2013 10:27:57 AM

6. Are they a couple? Their bio says something about their "budding friendship."

Posted by: Drew | Aug 7, 2013 10:36:30 AM

7. Yes, I have a 'budding friendship' with my boyfriend every time we crawl into bed together. If these two aren't humping each other then I'm a monkey's uncle. You can tell they absolutely adore each other.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Aug 7, 2013 10:43:22 AM

8. I'm this is a good thing, but, to be honest, my first reaction after seeing this was - Yuck.

Posted by: IJelly | Aug 7, 2013 10:51:15 AM

9. I had a revelation when I found out Bear Grylls is a Jesus freak. He ceased being hot.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 7, 2013 10:57:18 AM

10. Just goes to show that when gay men behave like men, they get respected by straight men.

When they don't, they don't get respected.

That simple--always has been and always will be.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 7, 2013 11:16:08 AM

11. @RICK

Sit down and shut up.

RuPaul could kick your dumb, closeted ass clear into next week.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 7, 2013 11:20:56 AM

12. their little subtitle on the show is "best friends" from WEHO. is there anyone who doesn't know weho is the gay capital of california if not the world...

and excuse me, different morals?? i am not cut out to be a placid ambassador to the non gay world. i'm all about representing, but i will correct slanted semantics like that. i do not have a lifestyle, i have a LIFE.

i am a huge fan of AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR, so i found the bear grylls show by accident, but it was such a logical followup, i know sit through both shows.

Posted by: bandanajack | Aug 7, 2013 11:25:52 AM

13. oh.. and i would have pointed out that this is not their first time seeing "masculine" gay men, just the first time they were allowed to know that fact. chances are, they will notice a whole lot more when they go back home, and i would not be surprised if some gay folk didn't introduce themselves just to further open their eyes.

Posted by: bandanajack | Aug 7, 2013 11:29:25 AM

14. Rick, did you choose that name in honour of the 'rick roll' ? because just like getting rick rolled, every time I read one of your comments I want to punch you through the monitor.

Posted by: Tristram | Aug 7, 2013 11:32:50 AM

15. "their little subtitle on the show is "best friends" from WEHO. is there anyone who doesn't know weho is the gay capital of california if not the world..."

Yeah, probably about 98% of the non-gay population of the country. Some of you just don't understand how oblivious to gays and apathetic towards us most of the population is.

"Rick, did you choose that name in honour of the 'rick roll' ? because just like getting rick rolled, every time I read one of your comments I want to punch you through the monitor."

the reason you feel that impulse is because the truth of my observations stings you to the quick, as much as you try to deny it to yourself.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 7, 2013 11:36:46 AM

16. Great to see this. It's how the world gets changed, one person at a time.

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 7, 2013 11:38:36 AM

17. RICK's right and never better than when he irriates the girls.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 7, 2013 11:48:17 AM

18. Back to the closet rick. Gay men dont need to earn the 'respect' of straight men. Why would you assume this? Or maybe I should be asking why do you feel such a strong need for straight male approval? Internalised homophobia I suspect. Oh, and as for 'always have always will' there are plenty of societies through history that have been matriarchal. Go read a freakin book.

Posted by: Tristram | Aug 7, 2013 11:55:55 AM

19. Poor Ryan couldn't tell these guys were gay. Wow.

Posted by: Reginald | Aug 7, 2013 11:59:52 AM

20. "Back to the closet rick."

I'm not in the closet and never have been.

"Gay men dont need to earn the 'respect' of straight men."

Yes they do if they want to be accepted into mainstream society, given that 97% of the population is not gay. Any group that is a small minority cannot and will not ever set the rules

"Or maybe I should be asking why do you feel such a strong need for straight male approval?"

I don't. Masculine behavior in a man is the natural state of being, regardless of sexual orientation.

"Internalised homophobia I suspect."

No, internalized homophobia is what causes gay men to behave effeminately--the ones who do behave effeminately have accepted the idea that sexual attraction to other men equates to a lack of masculinity and behave accordingly.....and display the kind of low self-esteem and self-respect that you would expect of such individuals.

"Oh, and as for 'always have always will' there are plenty of societies through history that have been matriarchal. Go read a freakin book."

No, there have not been. 99.99% of all human societies have been patriarchal and even those that were matriarchal depended on men to defend them when attacked.

But what is your point? Matriarchy means women possess power....and as an effeminate gay man or a transsexual, you would not be accepted by REAL women into the power establishment, however desperately you might like to be. Because you are not a woman and cannot ever be one, no matter how hard you try to shed yourself of your natural masculinity.

So, in conclusion, your choice as a gay man is either to embrace your NATURAL masculinity....which means facing up to the low self-esteem that has caused you to embrace UN-NATURAL effeminate behavior instead.....or face the consequences, which will be an eternity of rejection and disrespect from EVERYBODY, not only straight men, but straight women and most gay men and lesbians, as well (the very fact that effeminate gay men lust desperately after masculine men and ONLY masculine men demonstrates what a low opinion that they have of EACH OTHER).

Posted by: Rick | Aug 7, 2013 12:08:30 PM

21. Poor Rick is so obtuse he doesn't even get sick of himself years after everyone around him has.

As to the boy from Alabama and his words about different morals--WTF?? Their morals are probably very much like yours, You need to get out more.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Aug 7, 2013 12:16:03 PM

22. Ummm, Ryan, there are plenty of masculine gay men in Mobile. But, just like Kyle and Royce, you simply don't realize it.

Posted by: David | Aug 7, 2013 12:25:16 PM

23. y'all can be y'all and me can be me. We can all get along. But marriage is still between a man and woman.

Posted by: AndyTowlette | Aug 7, 2013 12:28:35 PM

24. RIck, for all your anonymous-boastfulness, your continued inability to put a Face and Name to your comments proves you 100% wrong.

If you were what you want everyone online to think you are, you'd been an even more obnoxiously-visible and vocal presence, online and in the real world, than *I* am. Because you'd believe your claims, and insist on Representing Yourself.

Alas, you have capers for testes and cannot put a face to your claims and comments. Because you're no man. You're barely a boy.

it's one of those things; the biggest online complainers are always the ones who don't do a darn thing in their own lives, and can't ever show who they are.

Long may you remain in your closets, so us happily-openly-gay people will never have to deal with you in person. because lord knows you don't have the orbs to actually interact with other gay people in the flesh.

*elegant curtsy*

wanna make more non-gay people realize how diverse we are? man up (to use your own terms) and Come Out. to everyone.

i did it as a teen. so what's holding you grown-adult men back, eh?

it's 2013, and most of you live in north america. grow a pair. or get one on loan.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 7, 2013 12:40:21 PM

25. I like these guys, but it seems they are trying too hard for acceptance from the straight guys. It reminds me of Sally Fields Oscar speech for Norma Rae, "They like me...they REALLY LIKE me".

Posted by: Howard | Aug 7, 2013 12:40:54 PM