Couples | Lily Tomlin | News

Lily Tomlin Considering Nontraditional Wedding to Partner Jane Wagner: 'Maybe We'll Dress Like Chickens'

Lily Tomlin says she's considering marrying her partner of more than four decades, Jane Wagner, E!'s Marc Malkin reports:

Tomlin_wagnerTomlin, who turns 74 on Sept. 1, and Wagner, 78, never thought they would see same sex marriage legal in their lifetime.

"You didn't think that would happen," the 9 to 5 star said. "It's pretty remarkable...You don't really need to get married, but marriage is awfully nice. Everybody I know who got married, they say it really makes a difference. They feel very very happy about it."

The wedding would be nontraditional, Tomlin joked:

"No rings, no bridal dresses. Maybe we'll be dressed like chickens."

Comments

1. Lily has come a long way since she demanded her name be removed from a GMHC poster advertising her hosting a circus benefit at Madison Square Garden.

"You don't really need to get married." That's a stupid quote. You need to get married if you want the 1,000+ rights and federal protections marriage offers. So if you have a family or simply want to protect your spouse (and youself), you NEED to get married.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Aug 20, 2013 12:52:30 PM

2. Yay, same sex marriage! 74? 78? It's never too late. My partner & I were married on what was in fact our eighteenth anniversay, & it's now six years later. And yes, it does make a difference. We shall overcome!

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Aug 20, 2013 1:07:14 PM

3. It's about time Lily became a respectable citizen (just kidding, she's great).

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 20, 2013 1:31:15 PM

4. Surely not spring chickens. Personally, I would love to see Ms. Tomlin dressed as Ernestine; her vows could involve promising to "ringy dingy."

Posted by: Gregory In Seattle | Aug 20, 2013 1:57:22 PM

5. "No rings, no bridal dresses. Maybe we'll be dressed like chickens."
    I'm not the type for sentiment but that made me tear up a little bit.

Posted by: Charles | Aug 20, 2013 1:59:35 PM

6. Times really HAVE changed. Although I assumed Lily was joking about dressing up as a chicken I was going to say that this is a bad idea and that she should stick to a traditional lesbian wedding. Then I thought "a traditional lesbian wedding? Did I actually use that phrase?"

Yes, I did!

Posted by: Mary | Aug 20, 2013 2:17:10 PM

7. Congrats to both. Maybe Lily should get dressed up as Ernestine, the telephone operator.

Posted by: Hank | Aug 20, 2013 2:26:19 PM

8. I love Lily and have for too many years to remember. But having money makes a big difference.

Posted by: greenfuzz | Aug 20, 2013 3:03:26 PM

9. We got married after 30 years. And it's great. It's never too late.

Posted by: ernest1960 | Aug 20, 2013 3:09:03 PM

10. I've been married to my husband for 9 years now. I highly recommend the institution.

Posted by: topdawg | Aug 20, 2013 3:13:16 PM

11. Copy Goldie Hawn, She didn't marry Kirk. Don't be a marriage lemming.

Posted by: BC | Aug 20, 2013 10:57:03 PM