Miley Cyrus | Music | News

Miley Cyrus Gives the VMAs Its Main WTF Moment with 'We Can't Stop': VIDEO

Cyrus

Miley Cyrus's performance of "We Can't Stop" which led into Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" had many viewers reaching for their WTF buttons as her teenage teddy bear acid trip took shape.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. a low point. Tasteless in every way. Turn the channel tasteless.

Posted by: tcnnyc | Aug 26, 2013 7:53:49 AM

2. I like her. I love her antics. It's just being young olds.

Posted by: Billy | Aug 26, 2013 7:57:31 AM

3. I don't know what is worse: Miley's yawn-and-yuck act or Andy Towle's ceaseless promotion of her.

Posted by: Adamn | Aug 26, 2013 8:00:38 AM

4. For starters, she's not a teenager. Secondly, why are people shaming Miley when at least her song (unlike Robin Thicke's) doesn't promote date rape.

The performance has other issues to worry about than Miley going weirdly OTT.

Posted by: Glenn | Aug 26, 2013 8:07:13 AM

5. Simply awful. All parties involved in that medley.

No more words needed.

Posted by: Yanz | Aug 26, 2013 8:11:18 AM

6. Kids today.

Posted by: Mastik8 | Aug 26, 2013 8:24:55 AM

7. Is it WTF because it was a bad performance, or WTF because the little country aryan princess is in wigger mode?

I do like the reaction shots out there of the Smith family, Drake and his friends, and Rihanna and her crew. However, I think it says something that those reaction shots are the chosen reaction shots, but not shots from whites. I'm not exactly sure what -- especially in the case of crotch-grabbing, perpetually drunk Rihanna, for whom the song was originally intentded -- but it says something.

Posted by: Zeta | Aug 26, 2013 8:36:32 AM

8. @Glenn, Thicke's song doesn't condone rape anymore than a hip-hop song about 'beating it up' refers to actual violence against women. The Thicke song is about a man who is trying to seduce a married woman. The married woman in the song is obviously receptive to him, but not so receptive that she's ready to ditch her date for the night. So Thicke is telling her that her current relationship is constrained, and she deserves more than what she's currently getting.

He's just being crude about it, instead of flowerly and bard-like.

Posted by: Zeta | Aug 26, 2013 8:39:17 AM

9. Omg you people are so horrid. Notice something: the actual comments against her are WORSE and more DISGUSTING then the performance you've deemed heretical. Ya'll sound like the worst haters ever. Kind of like gay bashers, but reversed.

Think before you post. Ok olds?

Posted by: Billy | Aug 26, 2013 8:39:51 AM

10. Is this how our elders felt when Madonna first came out on stage oh so many years ago?

Posted by: yuninv | Aug 26, 2013 8:40:31 AM

11. "I don't know what is worse: Miley's yawn-and-yuck act or Andy Towle's ceaseless promotion of her."

Or your tireless complaining.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 26, 2013 8:41:11 AM

12. THAT was a wtf moment? The young pop stars have no creativity left if that is all they have.

Posted by: joe | Aug 26, 2013 9:04:40 AM

13. Miley's antics made Lady Gaga's performance appear outright tasteful and artistic in comparison.

When you find yourself butt-grinding with Robin Thicke dressed as Beetlejuice, it's time to reconsider your options.

Posted by: DiatribesAndOvations | Aug 26, 2013 9:21:14 AM

14. Miley's flat butt twerking next to sexy back up dancers makes her butt look even flatter!

Posted by: Christopher | Aug 26, 2013 9:33:26 AM

15. Since when did the gays get all prudish about train wrecks? We love our crazies! I'm 50 and when I watched Miley's performance, I honestly did not find anything wrong with it and I rather enjoyed it. But then again I post using the name of the matriarch of Falcon Crest. LOLs.

Posted by: AngelaChanning | Aug 26, 2013 9:50:58 AM

16. "We Can't Stop"? More like, she should stop.

Posted by: S. | Aug 26, 2013 9:57:11 AM

17. @Zeta

If you research the song, you'll find that almost no one agrees with your interpretation, including Thicke. Thicke gave an interview where he said: "What a pleasure it is to degrade a woman." Later, the director of the video had to rush to defend him and the video, saying that maybe he was joking.

Posted by: Eric | Aug 26, 2013 10:25:47 AM

18. My criteria for these kinds of events is this: MTV chose her to be the opening act. They vetted her song selection. She rehearsed her ass off. So did the dancers. She's up on the stage, doing it. I'm not. I'm at home, watching with a few friends, munching, um, brownies and sipping, uh, tea, and well, there you have it. Enjoyed it thoroughly because, well, sometimes tacky works. And it's fun. And it's tasteless. And, well, Miley Cyrus was up on that stage. None of the rest of us were. (Why, yes, thank you. I'd LOVE some more tea. Oh, and one more of those brownies, please.)

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 26, 2013 10:28:58 AM

19. I kind of liked it but all the crotch stuff just felt out of place and made me feel like she was perhaps on drugs and/or going crazy. I'm sure she has more then enough friends in Southern California who thinks she's the bomb...

Posted by: steve | Aug 26, 2013 10:32:19 AM

20. at least she didn't steal the song from Marvin Gaye and try to pretend at being original then file a lawsuit in a foolish atempt to protect one's self from being sued by Matvin Gay's family

cough...cough...Robin Thicke

Posted by: Moz's | Aug 26, 2013 10:43:18 AM

21. nailed it.

Posted by: ZWEEGAS | Aug 26, 2013 11:12:37 AM

22. Everyone's talking about it today. Goal: achieved.

Posted by: brian | Aug 26, 2013 11:39:16 AM

23. Well, she learned something from Madonna and those that came before: love it or hate it, we're all talking about her today, aren't we?

Posted by: Dback | Aug 26, 2013 11:41:52 AM

24. When the Hell did everyone on an LGBT blog site become such pearl clutching prudes? I've seen worse in line for Gay bars on any given night in any city in America. I'm not a fan of Cyrus, but I thought that was in the spirit of a long standing tradition of pop music and entertainment. People in the 20's and 30's were freaking out about Cole Porter lyrics, now those songs are performed in retirement homes.

Posted by: Curtis Jensen (@curtisjunk) | Aug 26, 2013 12:01:13 PM