Gay Marriage Proposal | News | Orlando Cruz

Out Gay Boxer Orlando Cruz Proposes To His Boyfriend On Facebook

Couple

Orlando Cruz, who came out as the first openly gay boxer in October 2012, is engaged. According to RYOT News, he posted a public video to his facebook account proposing to his boyfriend, Jose Manuel:

Said Cruz in Spanish, “Through the ups and downs we’ve had, you’ve always been there for your number, as one says. I’m a little bit nervous, but that aside, I want to tell you and share with your friends and my friends that if you want to marry me?

“I want you to be part of my life and me part of your life, and it’s what I want to do most, is to do this. It is an important step in my life, a step that I think we have thought out and I want to do. I want to share my life with you and want to be with you always, and support you 100 percent, and you support me 100 percent. I like you a lot, I love you and I look forward to your answer.”

It didn't take long for Manuel to respond:

Within the hour, Cruz had a response. In a 44-second video also posted to Facebook, Jose Manuel responds with a teary “yes.”

“I want to tell you, yes, I do accept and would like to marry you, because I love you,” he begins. “I’m a bit emotional. I didn’t expect (pause) to find your proposal (giggle) posted to Facebook,” he says shrugging.

Both Cruz's and Manuel's videos have since been taken down from Facebook. Congratulations to the happy couple!

(Photo via Facebook)

Comments

1. Great! All the best for them!

Posted by: Matt27 | Aug 15, 2013 9:58:17 AM

2. Ugh. Tacky. But still, great you found one another.

Posted by: Tigerama | Aug 15, 2013 9:58:43 AM

3. Very happy for them - Congratulations and much happiness to them.

However, does anyone value or cherish privacy anymore?

Why would anyone post a marriage proposal and response on facebook?

Sounds like Mr. Cruz wants to spend his life with everyone not just Mr. Manuel.

How desperate are people for attention?

Posted by: Mark | Aug 15, 2013 10:03:04 AM

4. Felicidades senores!!

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 15, 2013 10:04:51 AM

5. "I didn’t expect (pause) to find your proposal (giggle) posted to Facebook,” he says shrugging."

Scary!!!

Best of luck to both of them!

Posted by: Justin | Aug 15, 2013 10:07:40 AM

6. Where is your story on newly out WWE wrestler Darren Young?

Posted by: Kyle | Aug 15, 2013 10:22:53 AM

7. @KYLE

I, too am waiting for the story. I keep refreshing to see when they are going to post it. As of this comment neither the advocate or huffpo gay voices have a story up either. I actually found out about this proposal and Darren Young from queerty.

Posted by: Derrick | Aug 15, 2013 10:29:18 AM

8. Congrats!

Posted by: Robbie Horn | Aug 15, 2013 10:29:54 AM

9. Proposals are always sweet, but on Facebook? If I got a proposal that way I'd say do it again, and in person!

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 15, 2013 10:45:15 AM

10. Does anyone have the video?

Posted by: Robbie Horn | Aug 15, 2013 10:51:04 AM

11. I'm sure the proposal sounded lovelier in Spanish. Whoever translated it made him sound like an idiota...

Posted by: G | Aug 15, 2013 10:54:42 AM

12. well, call me old-fashioned, but when I propose to my boyfriend, I intend for it to be face-to-face and to slip a ring on his finger when I do it.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Aug 15, 2013 11:04:58 AM

13. He proposed on Facebook? FACEBOOK? Well that's a bit, that's more than a bit, narcissistic.

Don't get me wrong I support any couples happiness but that's just too ostentatious for me. It's supposed to be the most significant relationship of your life, so you probably shouldn't make your first overture on social media.

Posted by: sundayboy | Aug 15, 2013 11:12:13 AM

14. Beautiful! There is NOTHING tacky about letting the world know more about people like us, our reality, our aspirations and OUR everyday participation in REAL LIFE! I am so pleased they shared their feelings for one another with us (and everyone else). I love them for it, they are more than courageous they are a glimpse of who we ALL ARE! No more with the shame junktalk, por favor, it´s not chic to snear at one another. Leonard Clark Beardsley, Guatemala

Posted by: leonardoricardo | Aug 15, 2013 11:12:37 AM

15. Wxcellent role models for young gay men and teens--two masculine men who, because they love men, are capable of loving a man--in sharp contrast to the effeminate, man-hating, woman-idolizing queens who are generally incapable of loving a man because of their hatred of men......

Posted by: Rick | Aug 15, 2013 11:16:41 AM

16. @ Leonard Clark Beardsley, Guatemala

You are clueless!

No sneering is being done as people wish them well.

"There is NOTHING tacky about letting the world know more about people like us, our reality, our aspirations and OUR everyday participation in REAL LIFE!"

YOU ARE TACKY!

Posted by: Justin | Aug 15, 2013 11:21:18 AM

17. Isn't it sad how fixated I am on the masculinity of others? I'm so obsessed with it that I come on this site every day to complain about the perceived effeminacy of gay men. It's supremely self loathing and damaging to myself and others, yet I can't stop. I'm so sad.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 15, 2013 11:51:43 AM

18. I hate women, effeminate gay men, liberals and divas because they're far more empowered and self confident than I will ever be. I'm supremely damaged goods, and that shows in every hateful, self-loathing post/criticism/attack I post on this site.

Posted by: Rick | Aug 15, 2013 11:54:15 AM

19. Since we've all received the announcement, are we all supposed to send gifts?

Posted by: MisterManners | Aug 15, 2013 11:54:44 AM

20. Todo lo meyor para los dos!!!

Posted by: andrew | Aug 15, 2013 12:54:28 PM

21. That's Orlando on the left, correct?

Posted by: Jim Hopkins | Aug 15, 2013 2:11:06 PM

22. Being more "pacifistic" than the current government would be easy, being more hawkish would be difficult.

All it would mean is that Hilary would have to assassinate fewer people with drones. Not a high bar really.

Posted by: James Peron | Aug 15, 2013 8:55:46 PM

23. The fiance looks creepy to me. But I wish them happiness, even if it was a Facebook proposal.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Aug 16, 2013 3:22:42 PM

24. LOVE him. Orlando has helped me accept being gay because he's been such a huge inspiration for me. I've looked up to him for years and cried tears of joy when he came out and inspired me to accept who I am. THANK YOU ORLANDO!

Posted by: Marcus | Aug 17, 2013 8:54:24 AM