Comments

1. says

I think back to the gay masters of TV like Jim Nabors, Alan Sues, Charles Nelson Reilly, Paul Lynde, Richard Simmons, Jay Manuel, J. Alexander, Carson Kressley and the New Zoo Revue’s Henrietta Hippo. They were fierce.

Ross Mathews, if you are reading this, study these guys. Look at their tapes/dvds/youtube videos and really, really study them. They had a certain… je ne sais quoi?

2. Rees Cramer says

Ross,
    Making a joke of it is not funny, it is tacky and insensitive. It diminishes you and it diminishes everyone who has come before you. On this day of all days you should be aware of the importance of being of who you are and being proud of it. You have platform that you reach out to people from, yet you can’t be honest. If you are going to keep being such an ass, don’t come out, ever.

Rees Cramer…..20 years of being a proud gay man.

3. Gregoire says

This guy annoys the heck outta me, but I can’t deny that’s incredibly smart and probably knows who the hell Paul Lynde, Richard Simmons and Jim Nabors is.

4. Ted B. (Charging Rhino) says

What shocked me was that he started on Jay Leno’s show back in 2001. …It’s been 12-years?

Without really thinking about it, I would have said it had been only 7 or 8-years.

5. anon says

He started as an intern on the Jay Leno show doing skits about the Olympics (go figure). Some of the skits were pretty good. He occasionally appeared on the stage w/ Jay for a “report”. After that he basically disappeared from mainstream view.

6. says

Ross Matthews doesn’t need to “come out”, he needs to BE HONEST.

The moment you “come out” is the moment you stop lying to yourself and the rest of the world.

No one should ever be in the closet. If one is unsure of who they are, they’ll find out sooner if they’re honest.

7. Tawdry says

It’s silly sarcastic comedy…there really is no point…just laugh along. Ross is a genius. I have followed him online as a “blog buddy” for MANY YEARS and he is VERY SMART and TALENTED. He has built a wonderful career for himself and has a great life with 2 beautiful houses. 1 in LA and 1 Palm Springs. He is very honest about himself and his life and has built his career around being HIMSELF.

8. GregV says

@Hmmm: A handful of the people you mentioned are openly gay. Several who are/were gay (Jim Nabors, Alan Sues, etc.) were never out when they had a career. Richard Simmons, Henrietta Hippo (and the actress who played her), Dom Deluise and Rip Taylor have never claimed to be gay. The latter three are/were opposite-sex married for life, and Rip Taylor told someone that assumption was wrong and compared it to “if I called you an open heroin user.”
    My list of the gay masters of TV would be led by Ellen, followed by others who are indisputably gay like Jim Parsons, Lily Tomlin and Neil Patrick Harris. Having a rumor passed around about a celebrity like Rip Taylor or John Travolta doesn’t make him/her a “gay master of TV.”

9. BuckeyeWxGuy says

I’ve loved Ross for years and have followed his career since Leno. He tends to be a little “queeny” at times but very genuine and was undoubtedly the only funny thing about the Tonight Show w/ Jay Leno. He also had the good fortune of having an ally in Chelsea Handler. And while her humor isn’t all that great anymore, she is steadfastly loyal to friends and often gives them a boost in the industry (hence Ross’ new show). If your not familiar w/ Ross, check out his “Hello Ross” blog. I know he will win you over. And to all his blog buddies, all I have to say is he better have Nikki Boyer co-host on occasion!

10. andrew says

Ross knows that being in the closet was never an option for him. He seems to know who he is and like who he is. He is a very entertaining guy. Loved him saying that on his official “coming out” he is not going to say “Yep” but “duh”.

11. says

@GREGV,

First, I put in Henrietta Hippo as a joke. I didn’t even know it was a woman who played her until you pointed it out.

Second, I didn’t mean to imply that these celebrities are gay.

Third, what I’m trying to say is that every one of them adopted a GAY PERSONA, which they managed to earn a good living by on TV and/or in film.

All the names I mentioned played the excitable, theatrical characters and made it into an art form. Ross should study that.

As Ross ages (he’s 34), his routine of “I’m gay, I’m making gay jokes, isn’t that funny?” is going to get tiring and there are younger, hungrier gay comedians who are ready to step into his spotlight. The whole point I’m trying to make is that Ross’s shtick has been done before by the names I mentioned and they did it a lot better than he’s been doing it up until now.

Let’s not forget what happened when Chelsea Handler didn’t remember how Joan Rivers broke down barriers (Google that if you don’t know what I’m talking about).