I'm Gay | News | Troye Sivan

Actor Troye Sivan, Who Played Young 'Wolverine' in 'X-Men Origins': 'I am Gay' — VIDEO

Sivan

Troye Sivan, the 18-year-old actor who played Young James Howlett (Wolverine) in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, came out of the closet in a video he posted to his popular YouTube account.

"On August 7, 2010 I told my family that I am gay. And on August 7, 2013 I want you guys to know that I am gay. It feels kind of weird to have to announce it like this on the internet but I feel like a lot of you guys are genuine friends of mine. I share everything with the internet. Whether or not that's a good thing I don't know but this is not something that I'm ashamed of..."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. 1. You didn't need to come out. We could already tell.

2. "It feels kind of weird to have to announce it on the Internet like this." Um, nobody said you "have to" announce it on the Internet.

3. "I feel like a lot of you guys are real genuine friends of mine." No, kid, complete strangers on the Internet are not your "friends." It really scares me that you think they are.

4. "It's not something I'm ashamed of." If you have to say that, then that means you probably are ashamed of it. What you say later on in the video proves that.

Posted by: What does Hugh Jackman think? | Aug 8, 2013 9:47:35 AM

2. What a wonderful, courageous, well-spoken, young man. I know that there is still a lot of work to be done for the dignity of LGBT people worldwide, especially youth, but videos like this give me life, inspire me, and give me hope that next year will be better than last year. It's wonderful that today's youth have role models like this young man.

Posted by: Kevin | Aug 8, 2013 9:48:54 AM

3. Smart, kind, funny, talented - he's a poster boy for gay teens. Good on him.

Ignore the trolls, they never got any love and now they can't help themselves.

Posted by: sundayboy | Aug 8, 2013 9:49:45 AM

4. What does Hugh Jackman think?: I expecting trolling on this article, but come one, you can wait a bit for your bitter comments.
    Let people say something positive before trolling all over the place.
    Even trolls need to know how to be polite from time to time

Posted by: jjose712 | Aug 8, 2013 10:00:02 AM

5. @WhatDoesHughJackmanThink go troll some other blog, why are you crapping all over this kids coming out experience?

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Aug 8, 2013 10:02:30 AM

6. I hope he has a bright and wonderful future. All the best to him. I hope he ignores the hateful comments on here and realizes they were made by people who had terrible experiences growing up gay and hate themselves more than they could ever hate him.

Posted by: Isaac | Aug 8, 2013 10:17:45 AM

7. It's kinda weird and kinda cool when someone you're already subbed to comes out with a video like this. It's the second time. Although in both cases it didn't really surprise me. Glad he had such a positive experience with his family and friends.

Posted by: Will | Aug 8, 2013 10:20:10 AM

8. More "controllism" from a another gayface...Cue the surprise...

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Aug 8, 2013 11:07:52 AM

9. I'd say that WDHJT has swallowed one too many bitter pills.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 8, 2013 11:39:26 AM

10. another teenager does something that this site's grown-adult Resident Cowards continue to give pathetic excuses to not do.

stop being upset that this kid's balls dropped and yours haven't. he's a vanguard and deserves nothing less than kudos, respect, and allegiance.

rock on, brother. you're opening the doors for so many, including the people who should've grown a spine and opened them for you.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 8, 2013 12:04:01 PM

11. Although I hate Kiwi and disagree with almost every comment he posts, I agree with him completely here. There is nothing but goodness in this video and we should all be very happy that this next generation has the prospect of growing up loved and supported from the day they come out.

Of course, as you can tell from this video that even under favorable circumstances, there is still a huge amount of anxiety and fear, including even uncertainty as to whether parental love will be there after the truth is told. So we have a ways to go until gay kids can come out without worry.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 8, 2013 12:22:01 PM

12. There definitely is still a lot of anxiety and fear in coming out, because 50% of kids are rejected by their parents and the overwhelming majority of LGBT youth are bullied growing up, worse than any other group. It's hard to come out and basically put yourself in that "other" category, where you're now the GAY Troye, or the GAY (name here). Things immediately change when you come out and that makes it frightening.

But Troye and all the many other gay youtube popular figures are out and have the support of hundreds of thousands of people. Especially youth, and regardless of orientation. Straight girls, straight boys, there's a lot of acceptance over the web and on YT for these gay youtubers. They're making things that much easier for other gay youth to come out and feel comfortable in their own skin while also showing straight kids that we're no different than them, we're just gay.

It's all great, congrats Troye on coming out!

Posted by: Francis #1 | Aug 8, 2013 12:32:46 PM

13. The only....concern, I do have, is that it's "easier" for these LGBT youtubers to come out over YT, on the internet, or their twitters, than it is in their real lives, and really, that's for LGBT youth in general. Something I've noticed. It's almost like leading a double life, because of course most people who take the time to watch/read a coming out story are going to be supportive. But we know in real life, it's not that way a large portion of the time. It's not the best to set up unrealistic expectations or a world that's all sunshine for LGBT people because we know that isn't the case.

Not saying Troye or any of the other gay youtubers are guilty of that, just throwing it out there.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Aug 8, 2013 12:49:06 PM

14. @FRANCIS

Most vloggers, before coming out in the internet, usually come out in real life first. And I would assume it is so much harder to come out in such a public stage than telling a friend or family member.

Besides, vloggers who get at least 100k hits per vid probably are well known in their school or community as a youtube celeb, and anything they post on the net gets around in their real lives.

I think it's rare to find a vlogger who only came out online and didn't even attempt any type of real life coming out.

Posted by: duckie | Aug 8, 2013 1:23:06 PM

15. @Francis

Not all of the coming out stories are positive. Some have positive experiences, some have negative, some mixed. And yeah, some are coming out to youtube before coming out to everyone in real life.

All they can do is share what happened to them. They warn that it's not easy, but it provides some hope and shows people they aren't alone.

Posted by: Will | Aug 8, 2013 1:26:03 PM

16. Francis,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Where is that 50% rejection figure from? I don't think I have ever seen that.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 8, 2013 1:35:42 PM

17. I've followed Troye for some time and he came out on the internet for his fans, many he considers real friends. He didn't do it to please trolls. If sharing his experience helps others fine. The important thing is he feels liberated. Go Troye! I'm looking forward to seeing Spud 2.

Posted by: terry | Aug 8, 2013 3:21:11 PM

18. the only people posting negative comments are those who haven't done what this kid has done: which is to not just Come Out, but no longer give a darn who knows.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Aug 8, 2013 3:32:59 PM

19. Good for him.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 8, 2013 5:30:02 PM

20. Comments on Towleroad, proving yet again gays are some nasty, horrible people to each other.

Posted by: Bobby | Aug 8, 2013 7:21:11 PM

21. Good job Troye!!! The more people who are out, the more the cause of LGBT equality advances.

Posted by: andrew | Aug 8, 2013 9:48:41 PM

22. Whatever anyone thinks this sort of public self-outing takes a certain amount of courage/brazenness. Well done and break a leg.

Posted by: Tristram | Aug 8, 2013 10:42:30 PM

23. WHAT DOES HUGH JACKMAN THINK?

You're awful.

Posted by: Felipe | Aug 8, 2013 11:55:16 PM

24. As a reply to the first comment:

1. You maybe could, a lot of people couldn't. You probably also think a lot of Troye's straight friends on Youtube are gay (look up people like bribryontour who constantly have to deal with people thinking they know their sexual orientation better than they do themselves), because you're making assumptions based on silly generalizations.

2. In order for people to know he's gay, he does have to talk about it. Same goes for straight people. If someone doesn't say who they're attracted to, other people won't know who they're attracted to. Now this obviously shouldn't make a difference, but it does. He spelled it out in the very video, the reason why he made that announcement was to help scared little kids who are terrified of anyone finding out they're not straight.

3. Obviously complete strangers aren't his friends, but that's not what he said, is it? The whole point is that they're -not- strangers. I know it's hard to get for someone who doesn't understand how Youtube works, but friendships are very much real in that community. Are you scared he's going to go and meet someone he just knows online in real life? Too late, he's hanging out with these "complete strangers" quite literally as I type out this comment. He's fine.

4. Exactly which part of the video proved he's ashamed of being gay? That makes no sense at all to me, he's one of the most self-assured gay teens I've ever seen or heard about.

Posted by: Jeez | Aug 9, 2013 8:44:14 AM

25. What an amazing, brave, INSPIRATIONAL young man. I applaud him and welcome him to our vibrant LGBT community with open arms!

Posted by: Jeremy | Aug 10, 2013 3:38:35 AM