Anthony Weiner | John Oliver | Michael Bloomberg | New York | News | The Daily Show

BigGayDeal.com

The Daily Show's John Oliver Gets Frisky With The City Of New York- VIDEO

Frisky Business

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
 may still be missing its traditional host, but it certainly hasn't lost a step with regard to its mission to hilariously and aptly comment on the current state of American politics. The show's interim host, John Oliver, has already taken on the likes of Florida, France, and the Supreme Court with relative ease. In this most recent clip, his attention returns to New York City, where he takes on a series of different targets in one fell swoop.

The segment itself centers around NYPD's "Stop and Frisk" policy, which allows police officers to temporarily detain and search anyone in the city with or without cause. In Oliver's own words:

"For years, opinion has been divided on Stop and Frisk with black and Latino residents of this city saying it's an invasion of their liberty and with white residents saying 'oh, I think I heard a thing about that on NPR'...It's basically like catch and release fishing, except you get to feel the fish up and shout at it a bit before throwing it back. Also, almost all the fish are brown."

Now, an NYC judge is declaring the policy unconstitutional, calling it "indirect racial profiling". She did not, however, mandate that the program be abandoned completely. Rather, she calls for increased oversight of the program by the federal government, and suggested the possible use of "body cameras" to assist with that task. This new combination of New York City and body cameras caused Oliver to temporarily direct his attention towards another target: Anthony "Carlos Danger" Weiner. Apparently, Weiner advocated use of said cameras even before this most recent judicial opinion.

"You heard right," said Oliver, "Weiner is suggesting body cameras facing out."

Watch the entire monologue AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Welcome to the new police state.

Posted by: terryp | Aug 14, 2013 10:21:10 AM

2. I can't believe they got away with stop and frisk for as long as they did. The judge's decision was inevitable.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Aug 14, 2013 12:37:40 PM

3. I sure will miss John Oliver. He was the perfect substitute and he displayed his refreshing British-style humor. I especially liked his telephone made out of two tea cups and a teapot.

Posted by: trees | Aug 14, 2013 12:45:11 PM

4. Awesome. So now we're all PC. Yay!

Meanwhile, crime will inevitably rise. Violent crime. Murder, assault, armed robbery.

Cities and communities that used Stop & Frisk saw drastic reduction in violent crime. Look at NYC. People forget, but it wasn't that long ago that NYC was pretty dangerous place. Policies like S&F helped stop that.

On the flip side, look at Chicago. Chicago is a warzone. It's easy to ignore when you're in Boistown, but other parts of the city are like Baghdad. The murder rate in INSANE. But hey - at least there's no stop and frisk!

If I ever got stopped, I'd shut up an cooperate. I don't carry guns or knives, so they'd frisk me and I'd be on my way.

If black and latinos (mainly young men) don't want to deal with it, then they should stop committing a disproportionate amount of crimes. They're not coming after you for no reason at all.

Why aren't Asians stopped nearly as much? Because they don't commit that much crime.

If only people lived in reality and could face the hard facts, we'd all be better off.

Posted by: Sean | Aug 14, 2013 12:59:53 PM

5. You can have your government systematically committing crimes against you, or you can have individuals randomly committing crimes against you.

I'll go with the random individual every time, thank you.

Posted by: Hitler | Aug 14, 2013 3:49:29 PM

6. So you'd prefer getting murdered/mugged/etc. in order to prevent patdowns from cops?

You have a few screws loose in the head. Sounds like your screen name is fitting.

Posted by: Sean | Aug 14, 2013 4:05:36 PM

7. Crimes gonna rise in NYC would be sad but those idiots deserve it fact is the typical criminal has a wry high chance of being black or Latino. Whites Asians, and middle easterners don't get stopped as much because guess what they don't commit nearly as much crime.

Posted by: Lee | Aug 14, 2013 4:08:20 PM

8. From all of the blatantly racist comments about this article utilizing collective pronouns like "they" commit crimes therefore "they" deserve to have their daily lives riddled with stop & frisk jack boots at any moment, you'd think the commenters were in Putin's Russia talking about those swishing LGBTI folks and how "they” promote crime, therefore treat them as 2nd class citizens for the convenience of the police state. And, no, I'm not naive to inner-city crime having grown up in Philadelphia, living there until I was 27. One thing I learned while attending Temple University in North Philly was that the students were treated with much more respect than the average neighborhood resident, almost all of whom were African Americans. While I was a high school teenager, I made a few day trips to Temple's campus to see what just hanging out on a college campus was like. I was even a truant on a few of those days, that means I was actually a criminal. Not once was I chased off campus or asked what I was doing there. When I became a student, seeing the campus and city police harass and verbally abuse black teens, individually or en masse, was almost a weekly occurrence. After finishing my undergraduate degree, I stayed on for law school. It was during those years in law school that the deference paid students over local residents seemed most apparent. The knowledge of the US Constitution helped inform my view of what was going on. And, in case you dismiss me as a lucky bleeding heart liberal, I was also more than a few times the victim of crime in that Temple University neighborhood. Still, I knew that the knuckleheads that got to me were also terrorizing their neighbors as well. What has always been needed in these intractably impoverished neighborhoods is smarter policing, not just the disposal of peoples' Constitutional rights for the convenience of unimaginative leadership of police departments.

Posted by: Thomas Cardellino | Aug 14, 2013 6:11:28 PM

9. Thomas you are nothing but a fool and yes a bleeding heart these typese have had decades to ge their own house in order they have failed I for one am sick of spending my tax money to support the leeches(black or white) who refuse to better themselves they just want to play the victim well got news for you princess life isn't fair or nice buck up and deal with it.

Posted by: Lee | Aug 14, 2013 6:19:21 PM

10. I agree, LEE.

And Thomas - what do you propose for "smarter policing"? Seriously - do you have one rationale idea that would actually work in the real world?

Posted by: Sean | Aug 14, 2013 8:22:01 PM

11. Well, I guess when I jump into a pit of starved, deranged and otherwise unoccupied vipers I'm gonna get bit. Do any of you racist commenters have a degree in Criminology or Law or Urban Planning or Sociology or any bona fides at all to spew your baseless racist comments thinking that you wouldn't be called out by at least one educated soul? Safely vent your stupidity on me anonymously, you stunted racist cowards. It rolls off my back like the proverbial water on a duck. And, at least this duck knows that drunken hunters occasionally hit a duck, but miss the point entirely. Try living in Romany-oppressed Romania, Ouigur-oppressed China, and Buddhist-oppressed Burma; in other words, try to (even, if barely conceivable in your blighted brains) imagine life outside your self-aggrandizing bubble of unfounded hatred and see if you get stopped and frisked for being the perceived outlaw without "probable cause" to suspect you of any crime.
    By the way, thanks to all of the Towleroad readers who have sat back and left me to be the only one condemning the racism prevalent about this article. Are you going to be as painfully "without comment" about Putin's Hitlerian 2014 Olympics?

Posted by: Thomas Cardellino | Aug 14, 2013 9:04:30 PM

12. Having been abused by police 3 different times in my life, in Dallas, Las Vegas, and Fontana, CA, I can understand the fear of, and terrible unfairness of, some police officers.

I am white, 53 years old, clean cut and well mannered, I just happened to cross paths with 3 rogue cops (bullies with badges), who each ended up getting severely reprimanded by judges, and all charges were dropped because I had done nothing wrong. Do I still get nervous around police? Yes, I'm terrified of ever going thru that again. An example of getting roughed up by a police officer: 1 cop hit my upper chest and neck so hard with his forearm that one of my shoes flew across 4 lanes of traffic, proceded to choke me, while pinned on my back against the hood of my car, called every dirty name you could possibly imagine all the way to jail, handcuffs clenched so tight behind you that your wrists are bleeding (I had scabs for weeks).
    When you do get in front of a judge these cops spin such a tale, and lie for each other, on the stand, I wonder how anyone trusts a police officer.

Even though these happened between 17 and 35 years ago, I remember them like it was yesterday, so when I see this sort of nonsense going on, profiling, "Stop and Frisk", I have been there and it is WRONG!!!

Sorry for going on, can't believe those memories still hurt so much.

John

Posted by: jsb | Aug 14, 2013 10:47:27 PM

13. So, THOMAS. Just as I suspect. You ask for "smarter policing" but can't give me ONE example of what that might be. You just cry racist and complain and have nothing constructive to say. Typical.

Posted by: Sean | Aug 15, 2013 12:39:26 PM

14. It's called CCTV. Done.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Aug 15, 2013 2:03:06 PM

15. Dearest anonymous moniker "Sean," My professional experience has been as an attorney in Securities Law, not Criminal Law. The University I attended had a very well attended Criminology Department, as do most accredited universities throughout the civilized free world. For me to merely pull an idea out of my uneducated-to-criminological-science ass to please the even less-informed racists on this website would be irresponsible and kowtowing, neither of which I do very well. My degree of knowledge about the US Constitution, however, exceeds that of many racists unfamiliar with the Bill of Rights, as well as those Amendments that followed (you've heard of the 14th, for example, haven't you?) in order to more forcefully buttress Due Process and Probable Cause. There's an All American start that forms a solid and years-tested foundation for the professionals, those being the Criminologists, Police Commissioners, Upper Echelon Police Management and on-the-beat Police Officers to be able to come up with (one reason being that many large American cities have already done so to decrease violent crimes) smarter techniques than merely, lazily throwing out the very fundamental freedoms many millions of Americans have shed their blood and lost their lives to protect, and make this "a more perfect Union!" One reason I know this is possible is because many large American cities have already done so to decrease violent crimes.) By the way, recognize the quote, "Sean?" I'd seriously doubt it, unless you Googled it.

Posted by: Thomas Cardellino | Aug 19, 2013 12:09:27 AM