Australia | Music | News | X-Factor

Gay Contestant Rejected by His Mom Wows 'X Factor' Australia: VIDEO

Toleafoa

Ofisa Toleafoa, a retail clerk rejected by his conservative religious Samoan family for being gay, told Australia's X Factor judges that he moved to Australia to find himself before launching into a rendition of Jennifer Hudson's "Changing".

Said Toleafoa:

"My family basically found out that I was gay through Facebook. One photo went up and they found out I was gay. My mom, she found it the hardest to accept it. The last time I spoke to my mom was probably like last year. It is hard. I just want her to know that I am changing but my love for her will never change. I will always be the same person that she brought up when I was little. "

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. WOW.

There seems to be more and more of the "my parents found out I was gay and kicked me to the street" stories showing up on these reality shows.

How odd.

Posted by: jtramon | Aug 7, 2013 8:50:46 AM

2. I don't think it is odd at all. LGBT teens are much more likely to be homeless than heterosexual teens because of rejection from parents. This reality is now being reflected in "reality" TV.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 7, 2013 9:02:34 AM

3. This show cracks me up. The very second he chokes up, the sad piano music starts.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Aug 7, 2013 9:03:26 AM

4. @JTRAMON - But it's not odd. It's quite common.

Posted by: mighty | Aug 7, 2013 9:03:44 AM

5. The sob story element of these reality talent shows make me so uncomfortable.

Posted by: JMC | Aug 7, 2013 9:05:39 AM

6. @ JMC

Why? Atleast when it concerns gay/lesbian young people,it reveals and reaffirms that most of our gay youth's parents are pathetic,hateful dirtbags! Something like this needs to be slammed on the table a few times. It just may wake up a few of these moronic "HATERosexuals".

Posted by: Audi-owner | Aug 7, 2013 9:29:56 AM

7. Those people backstage to congratulate him? THEY are his family.

Posted by: Mark | Aug 7, 2013 9:43:03 AM

8. being from NZ , it would be more specific to say he is Maori

The Maori pre colonialism and xtian missionaries supposedly used the word "Takatāpui" to refer to same sex love partners and was not stigmatized till the missionaries came

Posted by: Moz's | Aug 7, 2013 10:00:53 AM

9. He's Samoan, not Maori. He just said so.

Posted by: Drake | Aug 7, 2013 11:26:10 AM

10. His Samoan family are likely to be Mormon. If he were hetero and hefty, we might see him playing football at BYU cheered on by throngs of blonde Saints.

Posted by: gregorybrown | Aug 7, 2013 11:42:00 AM

11. It almost seems unfair as in the case in any competitions. But it is a good exposure to show that there are many gays among us. Gays are good people as well.

Posted by: AndyTowlette | Aug 7, 2013 12:31:25 PM

12. I wonder how long it'll be until contestants show up on European versions of this show stating "Russia kicked me out of my country because I'm gay so here I am"?

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Aug 7, 2013 1:29:32 PM

13. Good for him. I think we're hearing more about these stories because teens are being themselves and the media doesn't hide it anymore. Parents are still catching up with the times, but teens will be who they were born to be.

Posted by: reality | Aug 7, 2013 1:30:09 PM

14. I believe the song was first done by Jennifer Holiday, not Jennifer Hudson. Someone on the show should have realized this.

Posted by: bryan | Aug 7, 2013 2:04:40 PM

15. His boyfriend was pretty big on Tumblr and used to post videos of himself jerking off. And also posted a picture of him and his boyfriend after they had sex, and a naked picture of the two in bed. Wonder if that was the picture he was referencing?

Posted by: Chris | Aug 7, 2013 2:41:57 PM

16. Neither Jennifer Holiday nor Jennifer Hudson wrote this song. The music is by Henry Krieger and the lyrics are by Tom Eyen. And the title is actually "I Am Changing."

Posted by: Jere | Aug 7, 2013 5:13:49 PM

17. Being gay means you are putting your penis in another man's put or an artificial penis in another woman. If that doesn't sound like a perversion of the natural order of the human body go back to biology class. Yes, Hollywood is so good at creating a sweet story. Facts are facts. No hate involved, just those darn facts.

Posted by: ljk | Aug 9, 2013 10:48:59 PM