News | Wal-Mart

Two-Year-Old Boy Assaulted, Called 'Faggot' for Wearing Pink Headband

Dexter is a 2-year-old boy who happens to love to wear pink headbands. His mother, Katie Vyktoriah, a stay-at-home mom and blogger, posted a horrific tale over the weekend of the experience she had when she took Dexter to Walmart. The post immediately went viral and brought down her site due to the traffic.

DexterThe story is reposted at the HuffPost, and the unfortunate encounter her son had with an ignoramus began after two girls giggled at her son in his pink headband.

She writes:

Out of nowhere a big booming voice rang out. "THAT'S a BOY?!" The man was overly large with a bushy beard and a camouflage shirt with the arms cut off. He had tattered shorts and lace-up work boots with no laces. I could smell the fug of cigarette smoke surrounding him, and there was a definite pong of beer on him.

"Yes," I said simply, still smiling.

With no notice, the man stepped forward, grabbed the headband off of Dexter's head and threw it to the bottom of our shopping cart. He then cuffed Dexter around the side of his head (not hard, but that is not the point) and said with a big laugh, "You'll thank me later, little man!"

At the same time as I stepped forward, Dexter grabbed his head where the man had smacked him and threw his other hand forward, stomping his foot and shouting, "NO!" I got between my son and this man and said very firmly, "If you touch my son again, I will cut your damn hands off."

The guy snarled at me, looked at Dexter with disgust and said, "Your son is a f*cking fa***t." He then started sauntering out, but not before he threw over his shoulder, "He'll get shot for it one day."

I stood there, shaking, fists clenched, waiting for the man to disappear out the door, and then I fell apart. I was shaking so hard, holding back tears and comforting Dexter.

Not a single person said or did anything. There were several people who had witnessed the encounter, but not one of them came over to offer support or console me or my son.

Let me repeat to you: Dexter is 2 YEARS OLD.

The story continues at the HuffPost. Apparently there's also an update at Vyktoriah's blog but it's still inaccessible.

Comments

1. What!! Disgusting! And people just stood and watched. I hope the boy was told there is nothing wrong with him.

Posted by: Matt26 | Aug 6, 2013 9:07:07 AM

2. This guy is NOT a man. He is a disgusting macho pig who should be rounded up and put in a pen like one. Seriously. Nab this f:cker for this.

Not surprising no one came to her aid considering the venue. Romney said 47% of this country were deadbeats. I think 47% of this PLANET shoudl have been naturally selected. Where would this guy be without genmod food and air conditioning? The bottom of the gene pool.

Posted by: Munro | Aug 6, 2013 9:07:09 AM

3. I'm dumbfounded. So many people do not use their minds or their hearts. This man should be arrested for assault.

Posted by: Jeff | Aug 6, 2013 9:10:30 AM

4. Are there no security cameras in the store where this happened ? A two year old is assaulted by a grown man !!

Posted by: mike | Aug 6, 2013 9:14:22 AM

5. At least we can be thankful that guy is not the child's father.

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 6, 2013 9:16:50 AM

6. You can read the update via Google cache:

She says:

An Update...

The last 24 hours have been a blur. So much love sent our way, and that little bit of nastiness which makes the love feel even better. I want to thank everyone who has commented, shared, emailed me and spread the word about the events I shared yesterday.

As you can imagine, I’ve been a bit overwhelmed. The blog hasn’t ever seen this level of traffic, and while I am grateful, I am also unable to even get into the site unless I first put it in maintenance mode and don’t let anyone in! This is what I am doing right now, so that I can update.

First of all, I want to sincerely send thanks out to everyone. Your support has been amazing, and I never thought that my tiny little blog would create such discussion across the web. I’ve seen traffic from all the normal social media sources, but there have also been discussions in various parenting forums, women’s sites, LGBT communities and even a bodybuilding website! Not all of the talk has been positive, but that can be expected.

I won’t trouble myself with the trolls who express their disbelief that any of this actually happened. Suffice to say I have nothing to prove. I wrote the post 24 hours after it happened, and I was still angry, though I tried to be objective. It is hard when children are involved.

I also wanted to say thank you to everyone (and there were a LOT of you) who advised me to contact WalMart for the CCTV footage and the police to press charges.

I most likely won’t be doing that. I would like to explain why.

When it happened, I wanted to get out of there as quickly as I could. I was in a bit of shock, to be honest, and the fact that no one else came up to offer any support made me wonder if I’d overreacted.

The entire thing happened in less than a minute. It was over as quickly as it started, and no one was harmed. My shock at what the man said was worse than my upset about him touching my kid.

The truth is that (and I tried to make this clear in the blog post) he did not hurt my son. He cuffed him like you would pat a dog on the head. It was not violent. It was not acceptable, but it was not violent.

My two days of thinking on the whole thing has made me believe that the guy saw a woman with two little boys on her own, one of the boys wearing a girly headband, and he thought he was doing me a favor by teaching my boy to be more manly.

He may have thought I was a single mom in need of a strong male role model. And when he touched my son, I immediately stepped in to threaten him. His reaction was over the top and completely terrible, but we have all said things in the heat of the moment that we are not proud of. The fact he seemed to have been drinking may have exacerbated his reaction.

He left right away.

Realistically, I could have made a scene or called the authorities (of the store or the police) and taken up a lot of time in reporting it. But frankly, I wanted my son out of there and I wanted to get home so I could cry without him seeing and being freaked out.

I am unprepared for the craziness that this has brought on my blog. I can’t even get in to the back end to moderate comments or include a response. The traffic has gone through the roof, and for someone who is used to 150 hits a day, getting 100,000 in a few hours is a bit overwhelming.

I appreciate all the support that people have given, but I am truly confused as to what I should do next. I don’t feel that going to the police or news would be the best thing for my son, as it would bring a lot of attention to something that he has no idea even happened.

My rinkydink little blog is my space to vent, and now it has become a giant magnet for trolls and those who have decided I am not parenting correctly. I don’t really know how to respond.

Again, thank you all from me, Mark, Dash and Dexter. At the very least, I am proud that from the ashes of this horrible event we were able to get a lot of people talking about a very real issue.

I’d like to get back to normal as soon as possible. But I have no idea how long before the furore dies down. Bear with me until then.

Posted by: Jeffrey in St. Louis | Aug 6, 2013 9:23:44 AM

7. Unfortunately, it's starting to look like this lady is making it up. She's also claimed to have almost been kidnapped three times, to have actually been kidnapped once, that she was a flight attendant who cancelled on 9/11 and was supposed to be on one of the planes that crashed, narrowly avoided another plane crash by deciding not to go to work that day, and that she's a pathological liar. Those other blog posts were deleted once this story gained traction.

Posted by: Scottq | Aug 6, 2013 9:24:57 AM

8. Yeh, this story is BS apparently.

Adorable little towhead though.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 6, 2013 9:27:17 AM

9. It was so horrible she couldn't call the police, or even for help, instead went home and blogged about it. She sucks.

Posted by: kelehe | Aug 6, 2013 9:29:34 AM

10. I read through the story and called BS before I got to the end.
    You have a woman who writes a "MommyBlog" and a man slaps her child and calls him a slur and she meekly "gets out of there" and runs home to write a column about it?

Of course she was supposed to be on one of the 9-11 airplanes. I'm sure she had also drive through the Paris tunnel 1 minute before Diana.

Posted by: MIke | Aug 6, 2013 9:37:51 AM

11. Yeah, this lady is a known for having Munchhausen by internet. Plenty of real, horrific, anti-gay stories to talk about lady, we don't need you and your crazy.

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 6, 2013 9:39:47 AM

12. What amateur loons like her don't realize that being a billion dollar industry Wal-mart has video footage of you entering the store and leaving and everything in between, to protect themselves from bogus lawsuits.

Posted by: MIke | Aug 6, 2013 9:44:11 AM

13. She is so over-the-top and so oddly specific in her descriptive details it just screams hoax to me. Where is the police report? Where are the survellance cameras? (In a Walmart?!??) Where are the witnesses, or at least the store manager? Where is the physical evidence?

In all the other hate crimes we've seen lately it's a bruised and battered person in the photo with injuries that clearly weren't self inflicted.

Posted by: BZ | Aug 6, 2013 9:50:59 AM

14. The story is almost too outrageous, too obvious and too stereotypical of what homophobes are and what they do. The villain is a sort of caricature of Larry the Cable Guy, some kind of cartoon character of a redneck, and not a real person. And I'm not sure even the worst homophobes will target a 2-year-old child.

It's a reverse of the adage: too good to be true means it probably isn't. This is too awful to be true.

Posted by: R | Aug 6, 2013 9:59:22 AM

15. Obviously, after reading her update, we've been had. The post-assault nicey-nice makes no sense unless there is no there there in her story. Sad that someone would make up this crap when real people, real children face real bullying every day.

Posted by: jamal49 | Aug 6, 2013 10:40:31 AM

16. THat man needs to be arrested - or found and slowly tortured.

Posted by: JD | Aug 6, 2013 10:54:41 AM

17. Oh, noooooo... Towleroad, I'm disappointed you published this! Man, this story has been all but debunked by now. The lady has either grossly exaggerated or completely lied about these events. Why did you publish this?!?

Posted by: Lucas H | Aug 6, 2013 11:19:37 AM

18. So brave of this bigoted assholes for taking on a two yr old!

Posted by: Mmike1969 | Aug 6, 2013 11:33:02 AM

19. This hoax was originally published in the Huffington Post. And now the same hoax, already debunked, gets recycled here, posted by Andy Towle himself.

Which underscores how dangerous it is when we lose real newspapers that employ real journalists who are supervised by real editors. When we abandon real newspapers and replace them with parasitic news aggregators like HuffPo or blogs like Towleroad, we all lose.

Posted by: Dave | Aug 6, 2013 12:37:06 PM

20. Uhm...what exactly is the difference between a parasitic news aggregator and a blog like Towleroad? Scale?

Posted by: Rick | Aug 6, 2013 12:39:26 PM

21. @ Dave - why do you bother to read this blog that you find to be one of the "parasitic news aggregators"?

Posted by: Mike in the tundra | Aug 6, 2013 12:46:10 PM

22. Yeah, I sort of wonder if it was a Christian zealot who stated two gay men whipped out their penises at her two year old then buckled up and went on their merry way in a WalMart and she was proven a lying creative writer rather than a journalist whether the follow up story would be reported here rather than original flame throwing one presented as fact.

Posted by: MIke | Aug 6, 2013 12:50:14 PM

23. @Rick,

Well, they are both parasitic in a way. But by calling itself the "Huffington Post," HuffPo clearly markets itself as a newspaper and thus, as a conscious business plan, directly leeches off of real the newspapers that actually do the expensive and time-consuming work of news gathering. Towleroad at least doesn't try to pretend that it is a newspaper.

Has Towleroad ever done any original reporting of any news item in its entire existence? I can't think of one, but I could be wrong.

Posted by: Dave | Aug 6, 2013 12:50:38 PM

24. Media whores regurgitating lies from other media whores makes an effective means by which to garner attention you'd never be able to capture otherwise.

Oh the outrage. That narcotic can always be relied on to exploit us.

Posted by: Buckie Weston | Aug 6, 2013 1:53:31 PM

25. That man's life is already destroyed, that random act of violence is anything but an exception. You could imagine him with cirrhosis and emphysema or worse. Let alone his psychological issues.

People should dare to face those archaic specimens more often and shame them for what they are.

Posted by: SAYTHETRUTH | Aug 6, 2013 4:14:47 PM