Wentworth Miller Comes Out as Gay in Letter Declining Invite to Russian Film Festival

Prison Break actor Wentowrth Miller came out of the closet today in a letter to the St. Petersburg International Film Festival declining an invitation to appear there.

MillerWrote Miller in a letter published on GLAAD's website:

Thank you for your kind invitation. As someone who has enjoyed visiting Russia in the past and can also claim a degree of Russian ancestry, it would make me happy to say yes.

However, as a gay man, I must decline.

I am deeply troubled by the current attitude toward and treatment of gay men and women by the Russian government. The situation is in no way acceptable, and I cannot in good conscience participate in a celebratory occasion hosted by a country where people like myself are being systematically denied their basic right to live and love openly.

Perhaps, when and if circumstances improve, I'll be free to make a different choice.

Said GLAAD spokesman Wilson Cruz: "Wentworth's bold show of support sends a powerful message to LGBT Russians: you are not alone. "As people from across the globe continue to speak out against this horrific law, more celebrities and corporations should follow his courageous lead in openly condemning Russia's anti-LGBT law."

During his time acting on Prison Break, Miller repeatedly denied he was gay. He was also tied to actor Luke McFarlane.

Comments

1. says

Can a fan of Wentworth’s please tell us if he ever denied being gay in the past? If you know of any denials, can you tell us how many times?

Never forget the time that Neil Patrick Harris’s publicist said of his client, “He’s not of that persuasion.”

2. Francis #1 says

That photo is old and is a photo of when Wentworth was on Prison Break, which hasn’t been on air for a few years now.

Wentworth never denied being gay. He wasn’t closeted. Rumors were he was dating Luke McFarlane but who knows if that’s true.

He being gay and coming out is awesome but that’s not really the big deal. The big deal is how he’s coming out and taking a stand against Russia’s hate. He has integrity. Good for him. We’re proud of you, Wentworth.

3. Francis #1 says

Oh wait, nevermind. He did deny it. In a 2007 interview. In 2007, he said “No, I’m not gay” in an Australian interview in 2007. In later interviews, he didn’t deny it, which is what I was thinking of.

Dominic Purcell did also say Wentworth wasn’t gay (there were rumors he and Wentworth were dating).

It would be nice to see actors come out when their careers are actually moving upward or at the height of their careers but not many have. At least he’s done it now in this way.

4. says

Excellent, and well said: simple, to the point. Bravo to him.

Whatever his past denials, he is saying something now, when he has an opportunity to make a small difference. (As opposed to some actors who time their coming outs with a book deal or other such self-serving publicity.)

5. Jamie says

Gosh, I remember him from Mariah Carey’s back-to-back music videos back in 2005? 2006? I had never seen Prison Break, but he caught my attention with his cameos in the video. What a looker!

6. Kissyfur says

This Queen has sucked every cock from Silverlake to the Sunset Strip. Nothing new to report after years of denials despite paparazzi photos of he and his boyfriends.

7. SAYTHETRUTH says

WOW, and to think that he fearlessly denied it and even talked about dreaming with wife and family. Time to come clean, better late than never.

8. Tom says

@ Kissyfur.

YOU CLAIM – Wentworth “sucked every cock from Silverlake to the Sunset Strip.”

I MAKE – biggest eye-roll imaginable.

AND WENTWORTH – remains classy.

9. Buddy Cole says

My gaydar must be better than I thought; I sensed from the moment I saw the first ads for “Prison Break” that he was gay.

No, wait, I don’t mean gaydar; I mean “wishful thinking.”

10. Sam says

Wow!…congrats and bravo to Wentworth on his stance against Russia’s anti-gay laws. He was quite a ‘inmate’s’ wet fantasy in his shirtless Prison Break days. But as here and all news making blogs have posted old photos of Wentworth during the series. He looks drastically different now that he’s a screenwriter (Stoker) and in photos seen with Brothers and Sister’s actor (and partner?) Luke McFarlane.

11. Zeta says

He’s soooooooooooo beautiful, inside and out. Just a gorgeous, gorgeous African-American man. Yummy, yummy, yummy – those eyes! But this isn’t news. I like hearing it anyway.

12. says

@KISSYFUR: A gay actor’s statement about why he’s not going to Russia isn’t worth reporting but your contribution that a gay man likes sucking cock–who’d have ever guessed?!!!–is?

13. chris says

Double-edged sword here but the reason the cattier folk commenting above haven’t seen him on TV much lately is because he’s working more as a screenwriter. Several of his scripts have been optioned and “Stoker” came out earlier this year. (And, yes, it’s probably easier to come out as screenwriter than as an actor.)

14. Contrarian says

The issue is Russia and why NBC/Universal (and other movers and shakers in Hollywood)will pay gazillions and get down on their proverbial knees to satisfy Putin and company on the Olympics. Now if the Russkies were persecuting, oh let’s say Zionists, would the chosen people of western neighborhoods of the L.A basin be so accommodating or is that my forbidden Seth McFarlane moment? The gender preferences of some screenwriter/actor are of only passing interest. That publicity photo is also way old.

15. Robert says

Ugh, much like Clay Aiken, I am *so angry* when someone LIES for years when asked about their sexuality. Ricky Martin just avoided the question. That is FAR more admirable. Clay said the worst stuff, but at least he was super young when he said his load of b.s. Wentworth was, what, 35 when he was denying he’s gay? Ugh.

16. stranded says

I don’t blame him for denying he was gay at the peak of the show’s popularity. There were many reasons for that, including the TV network (Fox) advising against it.

He didn’t have a powerful Hollywood bigwig as sugardaddy to shelter him and tell the media he was off limits until he chose to come out on his own terms. Matt Bomer, I’m looking at you.

17. stranded says

@ Robert, but you weren’t in his shoes or were you? I don’t take personally that he wouldn’t come out. He doesn’t owe anything to me. Who knows how long he struggled with himself, and he certainly has kept a low profile since Prison Break ended. I remember him being bullied by Perez Hilton for a long time. Had it been acceptable that he had come out at that time?

At some point in your life, people choose to keep a low profile, or deny something be it for a life or death situation, or because someone throws a ton of money in your face to do it.

Even if he did deny it, he didn’t go around parading a beard. Again, not everyone can be Mr. Gay Perfection aka Matt Bomer who chose to come out when he felt like it. It’s not like that for everyone working in Hollywood in front of the cameras. Miller is a screenwriter now and he certainly know that his chances as an actor may be hurt a little by this revelation, as sad as it may be. Furthermore, not every out entertainer wants/needs to be an LGBT rights advocate. It’s just not everyone’s calling. Some simply want to live their life in peace.

18. Kissyfur says

Tom do you know him? I do. Meanwhile, is it classy that he lied about being gay in America post Matt Shepherd. Post Prop 8. Post Bullying Suicides. But somehow Russia matters because he has a movie to promote? GTFO.

19. Macguffin54 says

I don’t always have the best gaydar, but I have known he was gay since he was on the “Go Fish” episode of Buffy. Maybe you guys can “yawn” over his statement, but it’s nice he is no longer denying it. And to those of you who “say” he isn’t attractive or does nothing for you– give me a break.

20. Gregoire says

So what, so he denied it a few years ago? You dont know his personal situation. It’s out now and in a significant way, and that’s all that matters to me.

21. J Y says

Sad to see people “outraged” that he didn’t choose to come out when he felt like it. He has a career to worry about, and your nods of appreciation don’t pay the rent.

22. Ryan says

I’m glad he finally came out of the closet, especially since it seems as though when he first got into Hollywood that he wasn’t in the closet to begin with. It’s never too late, and this was a great, meaningful moment to do this for him.

On a more trivial note… he gives Matt Bomer a really good run for his money in the ‘hottest guy alive’ contest.

23. Sam says

I don’t understand why so many gay men want to out other gay men or get upset with them for not being “out” from the beginning. It’s a tough personal process for each individual, that each individual has to decide on. This is the time Wentworth Miller has decided to publicly state his sexuality; it’s not about you, it’s about him!

24. Hagatha says

Derrick – I’m not sure that it was ever said that he was actually Negro, and he has never claimed to be African American. As I recall, one of his grandfathers is referred to as “Jamaican” and we are left to assume that that means Negro. For all we know, his Jamaican grandfather could be an old aristocratic planter.

25. Hagatha says

If you started a career and your advisers told you “Don’t say that you are gay or you will never get to the top of this business.” would you believe them? I would.

26. HATER says

@KISSYFUR – And it’s MESSY QUEENS like you that keep gay men in the closet!!! whatever he’s done is it your right to put it out? How many cocks have you sucked? What’s your status? Do you swallow? It’s easy to talk crap over the net1 But punk ass gay men like you are a disgrace to the good gay guys and a reason why straight gay men avoid us after running into people like you!!!

27. Mel Smith says

Wentworth Miller being gay is huge on so many levels. He destroys dangerous stereotypes that people have about gay people.

Although a lot of people think he’s 100 percent Caucasian, Wentworth Miller is biracial because his father is Black. Tiger Woods’ son looks Caucasian too. That’s why ‘race’ is a social construct.

Wentworth Miller is awesome for doing what he did.

28. Tony C says

Its all nice but is he really gay?
    …I love that Prison show he did but I waited to see some Wentworth skin but it rarely happened because of his makeup job , I guess , was too much( he had his entire body tattooed and hidden was the schematic of the prison)… Was a very clever idea but the last season really dragged…I’m rambling on..
    Well one way or another, he’s gay now :O

29. Paul says

@KISSYFUR – please check your grammar before you come on here. Your sentence should read “despite paparazzi photos of HIM and his boyfriends.” Not “of he and his boyfriends.”

30. MaryM says

Why is this news. He’s a has-been, and like all selfish has-beens is probably only coming out as it will raise his profile.

Good for him that he has come out, but the very fact that he has denied being gay is a very poor reflection on his integrity.

Back to obscurity Wendy.

31. alex says

Those of you complaining that Mr. Miller didn’t come out during “Prison Break” need a reality check. Hollywood is a business. If you’re lucky enough to land a lead dramatic role on a major network show, you have to avoid controversy.

If he came out back in 2005, his show would have been boycotted. He would have been written out or (more likely) the show wouldn’t have been renewed. While it certainly was in his best interest to stay closeted, his actions affected the hundreds of people working on the show. At any age, that’s a lot of responsibility to take on.

32. Onnyjay says

Some of us, for a wide variety of reasons, get to the party a bit later than others, but the main thing is to finally arrive and celebrate. Welcome, Wentworth.

33. darkorient says

It was unfortunate that he denied to be gay in the past, but people make mistakes, we just have to deal with that fact. The most important thing is that he is fighting for our cause now. Bravo, Wenty! I might consider watching Prison Break now.

34. says

They come out after hiding/lying for years, and immediately we declare them heroes. WTF? Liberace, a stone perv who chased underage guys, didn’t come out at all, and now he’s being lionized in the Gay media. Our values RE integrity are all f*cked up! We seem ready to forgive celebrities any transgression.

35. says

Prison Break seasons 1 and 2 are definitely worth checking out. Season 3 however…we no longer speak of it.

I’m glad Went finally came out and I like how it was done.

36. Gabe R L says

MARYM: Wentworth isn’t a has-been. He switched gears and is now mainly behind the scenes as a screenwriter. So much bitterness and spite.

Wentworth’s father is supposed to be biracial, but his mother (Wentworth’s paternal grandmother) was said to be light-skinned, so how biracial he is I wonder.

37. don says

So what if he denied he was gay? People come out in their own time; some people get there early and some late. I denied I was gay too once, and if I had been a famous 14-year-old, it would have been more widely publicized for strangers to later judge me on.

38. gomez says

@kyle. like the media ignored jason collins?

glad he’s out now and taking a stand against, but i’d like to hear what he has to say about his previous denials. he lied.

that’s cowardice

39. Koskalaka Maricón says

Finally!… out, proud and defiant. Welcome, Wentworth Miller… We’ve been waiting, patiently, for you, Dah-ling. Like any savvy, publicity-pimped starlet, you’ve found your moment and opportunity to be in the worldwide spotlight. Bravo, sexy!

40. Duration & Convexity says

What a classy way to come out. I’m not listening to the trolls who are only belittling him because he came out. They are actually homophobic trolls pretending to be gay concerned posters. We call them concerned trolls on the blogsephere. Pretending to be something they aren’t. In this case, pretending to be gay men who are so outraged this man didn’t come out earlier (when really, they are homophobes outraged he came out in the first place). NO actual gay person belittles someone for not being out from the start cuz guess what? 99.9999999999999999999999% of the gay community was closeted at some point.

Welcome to the family wenworth!

41. Might Fide says

I guess everyone was out of the closet from the day they were born? LOL look at some of these trolls, trolling for a reaction. Let’s ignore them.

Good on you Wentworth Miller for coming out and finally being authentic to yourself.

42. ilan77 says

I’ve read some of the comments that have been made here, there are posters who thinks he is a hero, others think he is weak for coming out after his carreer was supposedly over.

This got me thinking about my own situation. I don’t work in the entertainment industry. I work in healthcare in a management position and I deal with my staff and patients everyday. I am out to my staff but not out to my patients. I’ve found myself skirting around the subject and even flat out lying about my personal life when patients have managed to cross the line with me and try to get personal.

Why? Because I don’t want judgements about my personal life to cloud patients perception of my professional work. I don’t have any guilt about having one foot in the closet while at work.

Wentworth Miller is an actor and screenwriter whose bread and butter depends on how audiences and hollywood perceive him. The quality of his acting and writing is more important to me than knowing he is an out gay man who acts and writes. I don’t fault him for coming out now. And the funny thing is that even though I applaud his coming out it has not changed my life in the last 24 hours… at… all… He is still 9 time zones away from where I live and not in my circle of influence so whatever impact his coming out may have on my life in the future is marginal at best. And I am sure it will be marginal for all you lovers and haters as well.

Why do we put so much value on Hollywood?