I'm Gay | John Cena | News | News Clips | Wrestling

WWE Superstar Darren Young Comes Out: VIDEO

Darren

As mentioned yesterday, when arriving at LAX, WWE superstar Darren Young was asked by TMZ whether a gay man could succeed in the WWE to which Young responded, “Absolutely. Look at me. I’m a WWE superstar and, to be honest with you, I’m gay." The confession caught the camera-man off guard, as CNN notes:

"Man, that's in ... that's ... sorry. I'm kinda' of flabbergasted man. I think ... I didn't know and obviously I think that's just ... I commend your bravery," the cameraman said.

"I don't think it matters. Does it matter? Does it matter to you?...Does it change what you think about me?" Young rhetorically asked after making the statement.

"Not an iota," TMZ's cameraman said. "In fact I commend you even more that you would share something so beautiful and personal with me."

"We're all adults. All sports are physical. When I come to work, I come to work," Young said. "Business is business...Some people might not like it, and some people will like it."

World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. offered its support of Young following his statement: "[The] WWE is proud of Darren Young for being open about his sexuality, and we will continue to support him as a WWE Superstar." HRC notes that fellow WWE superstar John Cena has since congratulated Young on coming out.

Young seems to be focused on the impact his actions can have on others, telling TMZ, "I’m hoping to be able to make a difference...It’s very important to me that people understand that someone’s sexual preference doesn’t really matter. It’s about the person." The WWE also commented that Young was planning to spend Thursday at an anti-bullying event "to teach children how to create positive environments for everyone regardless of age, race, religion or sexual orientation."

Young is only the second professional wrestler to come out, following former wrestler Chris Kanyon who tragically took his own life in 2010.

Check out Young's conversation with TMZ along with a clip of him in action AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Good for him.

Clearly the whole thing was pre-planned and staged (I don't buy that this was spontaneuos for 1 second) but still great news.

I wish him continued success in his acting career.

Posted by: MaryM | Aug 16, 2013 8:07:36 AM

2. And he's hot. That matters, too.

Posted by: Reginald | Aug 16, 2013 8:17:23 AM

3. He might want to think about changiong his Twitter profile, which reads: "As comfortable in the VIP section as he is in the ring, Darren Young’s life revolves around three things — money, women and wrestling."

Posted by: Jeff | Aug 16, 2013 8:21:29 AM

4. @Jeff: Many WWE Twitter profiles are done in character. I imagine Young's is no different.

Posted by: RTHK | Aug 16, 2013 8:26:02 AM

5. good for him

Posted by: Moz's | Aug 16, 2013 8:30:04 AM

6. He seems like he's gung-ho to be an outspoken advocate which is awesome. Love it when the smart, hot guys start showing up on tv saying intelligent, positive things like John Roberts, John Amaechi and Dan Savage, and the cute allies like Brendan Ayanbadejo. I'm excited to see where he goes from here.

Posted by: Jersey | Aug 16, 2013 9:06:55 AM

7. Awesome! He is smart and hot!

Posted by: Jake | Aug 16, 2013 9:07:49 AM

8. Awesome! He is smart and hot!

Posted by: Jake | Aug 16, 2013 9:07:49 AM

9. Last night on the E! Channel they had their "news" show with host Giuliana Rancic. When she reported on it, she said, "We'll have more on Darren Young's confession."

Here's the definition of the word "confession":
    1. A formal statement admitting that one is guilty of a crime.
    2. An admission or acknowledgement that one has done something that one is ashamed or embarrassed about.

Since neither definition applies to Darren Young, why did Giuliana uses the word "confession"?

Posted by: Hmmm | Aug 16, 2013 9:14:51 AM

10. HMMM,

Giuliana Rancic is a pig.

As for Darren Young being a 'spokesperson', I hope not. He should stay far away from the gay community and its demands and stereotypes.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 16, 2013 9:25:58 AM

11. He was on the TODAY show this morning and sounded like he is ready to step into the role as advocate and coach for young gay kids out there. He sounds great!

Posted by: reality | Aug 16, 2013 9:28:58 AM

12. He was on the TODAY show this morning and sounded like he is ready to step into the role as advocate and coach for young gay kids out there. He sounds great!

Posted by: reality | Aug 16, 2013 9:28:59 AM

13. Thank GOODNESS he's so hot! I can only imagine the damage that would have been done to our community if he was ugly, or HORRORS, fat! Some of you guys are pathetic.

Posted by: Brado | Aug 16, 2013 9:56:27 AM

14. My first question when I heard this was: Is this the "wrestler" character talking or the actor talking?
    Will the character continue to be a womanizer while the actor goes home to his boyfriend behind the scenes? Or is he developing a gay story line in this interview that the producers chose for him and then going on the road with a girl in every port?
    It's confusing because the WWE is not wrestling, the sport, but "wrestling" as a scripted form of entertainment with fictional characters participating.

Posted by: GregV | Aug 16, 2013 10:24:07 AM

15. @Gregv

It was him talking. The story lines can and often do change radically for seemingly no reason at all. Some will have a gimmick and then a few weeks later they're doing something else.

Posted by: Jesse | Aug 16, 2013 10:47:03 AM

16. I just watchd the Matt Lauer interview with "Fred Rosser who plays Datren Young," so I guess that partially answers my question. The next question is where the producers go with the "Darren Young" storyline.
    He represented well in the interview. He also said he was inspired by Jason Collins and sought his advice last night. Each famous person and each ordinary person who comes out adds to the snowball effect as others, who didn't want to be the first, follow. It's one reason things get better and better.
    The only "bad" thing is that now I'll probably tune in to the WWE!

Posted by: GregV | Aug 16, 2013 11:05:35 AM

17. Brian, aka Rick/Jason: we get it - you hate gay people. Please go get a life.

Posted by: MateoM | Aug 16, 2013 1:28:18 PM

18. That's great. <3

Posted by: MikahMikah | Aug 16, 2013 1:44:03 PM

19. Darren Young is not only a WWE Superstar but Gay and Smokin Hot. For those of you who don't watch WWE, you should see whats under that shirt! Loved the way "The Irish Guy" from TMZ, Peter O'Riordan, handled the interview. I think that both of them are as beautiful on the inside as they both sure are on the outside. Welcome Out Darren!!!

Posted by: andrew | Aug 16, 2013 1:59:31 PM

20. MateoM:

I am not Rick or Jason and I didn't post anything above. But I'll tell you this. Darren Young is a gay person and from what I see, there is a lot to like about him. He is a much more positive influence on the world and much more positive role model for gay boys than the self-debased drag queens and drug-addled circuit boys that get promoted on this site so regularly.

Gay boys should be taught that they will grow up to be men, not clowns, not freakish performance acts, not soulless bodies doomed to pursue loveless sex with strangers, and not wannabe ladies. They should be taught that are worthy of respect, that they should respect themselves and others and always conduct themselves with dignity.

Posted by: FrankB | Aug 16, 2013 2:18:11 PM

21. Oh, the long sordid and sad history of gay pro wrestlers would make a good movie or book.

Posted by: anon | Aug 16, 2013 2:28:42 PM

22. Rick/Jason/Brian: I see FrankB is your new alias too. Hysterical that you accidentally posted under a different username to respond. So sad and pathetic.

Posted by: MateoM | Aug 16, 2013 5:03:18 PM

23. I'll believe it if he's still gay after he retires. I can't help but think this is just the beginning act of one of those pro-wrestling "soap-operas".

Posted by: Adam | Aug 16, 2013 7:11:32 PM

24. @FrankB

Could not agree more. Sexual orientation and cultural identity are two separate things.

Posted by: Mark | Aug 16, 2013 7:24:25 PM

25. He could get the whole party off.

Posted by: PJ | Aug 16, 2013 8:41:25 PM