Barilla | News

BigGayDeal.com

Guido Barilla Records New Video Apology for Anti-Gay Remarks: WATCH

G_barilla

Barilla pasta chairman Guido Barilla has recorded a video apologizing for remarks he made this week about gay people which set social media on fire, inspiring international calls for boycotts against the company.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Says Barilla in the video:

"Yesterday, I apologized for offending many people around the world. Today I am repeating that apology. Through my entire life I have always respected every person I've met, including gays and their families, without any distinction. I've never discriminated against anyone. I have heard the countless reactions around the world to my words, which have depressed and saddened me. It is clear that I have a lot to learn about the lively debate concerning the evolution of the family. In the coming weeks, I pledge to meet representatives of the group that best represent the evolution of the family, including those who have been offended by my words."

On Wednesday night, company Chair Guido Barilla told the Italian radio show La Zanzara that the company would never make an ad with gay people and if they didn't like it they can find another brand of pasta:

“I would never do an advert with a homosexual family…if the gays don’t like it they can go and eat another brand...For us the concept of the sacred family remains one of the fundamental values of the company....Everyone has the right to do what they want without disturbing those around them..."

He then added: "I have no respect for adoption by gay families because this concerns a person who is not able to choose."

Comments

1. "It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it."

- Warren Buffett

The only reason he's saying something now is because so many of his competitors are posting gay-friendly ads on social media, etc., and others are pressuring him. Hell, many of his competitors have been gay-friendly for years, like Bertolli, that had gay-friendly commercials on Logo in 2009.

Posted by: Eric | Sep 28, 2013 9:24:37 AM

2. I have a feeling he didn't expect this kind of global negative reaction. Social media works fast and this is a good example it makes a difference.
    I am willig to give (almost) every person a new chance, so it'll be interesting to see what the outcome will in this. Is he serious about this or is it just fear of how his products will be selling.

Posted by: Matt27 | Sep 28, 2013 9:27:24 AM

3. Too little too late too insincere!

Posted by: Alex | Sep 28, 2013 9:28:51 AM

4. Why would he say something quite firmly and unprompted in an interview without hesitation or ambiguity and then claim a few days later that he is sorry and doesn't mean what he said.

In situations like these apologies and reactive spin statements do not hide the core truth. He believes exactly what he said in that interview. Every subsequent 'damage control' statement or action is purely an attempt to minimise commercial damage.

Posted by: Den | Sep 28, 2013 9:38:12 AM

5. "Through my entire life I have always respected every person I've met, including gays and their families, without any distinction."

Sorry, Guido, don't believe ya. If you truly respected 'gays and their families', you never would have said what you did in the first place. I'd suggest you stop issuing 'apologizes' since all you manage to do is dig the hole deeper.

Posted by: AggieCowboy | Sep 28, 2013 9:42:53 AM

6. They're only sorry when it starts to affect the bottom line.

Posted by: openingnite | Sep 28, 2013 9:48:23 AM

7. I am so sorry that my disrespect for gay families is going to cost my company money. We believe in the sacred family that does not include filthy homos but we also like money, so we are sorry we exposed our true beliefs. Keep buying our pasta and we promise to loathe you in silence from now on.

Posted by: Speedieg | Sep 28, 2013 9:51:10 AM

8. He never apologized for his remarks. He apologized *if* his remarks offended anyone. Big difference.

Posted by: Tony | Sep 28, 2013 9:51:16 AM

9. Let the self-destruction of Guido Barilla be a lesson to the entire world.

I am finally beginning to believe he is sorry -- but only sorry that he destroyed a business that has been in his family since 1877.

I'll never purchase or eat a Barilla product again no matter what he now says, but there is something he can do: I'll forgive Guido and his company only after he's donated at least one million dollars to a charity or charities that serve LGBT families.

Talk is cheap, but, to make reparations, his actions to repair the effects of his hateful talk must be very expensive.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Sep 28, 2013 9:54:47 AM

10. Let's wait for Barilla sales skyrocketing in Russia!

Posted by: litper | Sep 28, 2013 9:56:57 AM

11. We are soooorryyy:

Posted by: tacoflavoredkisses | Sep 28, 2013 9:57:06 AM

12. Well, now it's more and more obvious what i said after hearing this story, this is not a Chick-Fil-A, wich has a more concentrated business in conservative areas, this is an international brand and he put his foot in his mouth.
    Because he talked locally (i read italians are 50/50 on this), italy is quite conservative (at least a lot more conservative than most its neighbours) and putting such sexist role on women and such bigoted opinions on gays would proably don't be such important there.
    But Barilla sales in a lot of countries, and those attitudes have consecuences. The fact this is the fourth apology since he opened his mouth (i still can't believe that a CEO of an international company can be so naive, and talking about something like that for the sake of it, because he wasn't even questioned about gays, but about women's role in their ads) it's obvious they really fear to lose clients

Posted by: jjose712 | Sep 28, 2013 10:00:52 AM

13. Day late, dollar short Guido baby. What kind of lame businessman DELIBERATELY antagonizes any portion of his potential income source? This jerk is a fool. He wants to be a hatemonger - go for it! But stop with the alligator tears already when you're profits tank. Caveat emptor!

Posted by: Bill | Sep 28, 2013 10:00:54 AM

14. Too bad. Sometimes meeting with the reps from GLAAD isn't enough. This is one of those times.

Posted by: Joey Y | Sep 28, 2013 10:01:15 AM

15. I agree with many of the comments. Actions truly do speak louder than words.

If Mr. Barilla was sincere in his apology then the company should consider releasing an advert with a gay family. And he should consider that almost all children who are in some form of foster care are the result of traditional marriages, not gay or lesbian ones. Perhaps a significant donation to a group which helps gays and lesbians adopt those children is warranted.

Posted by: Gary | Sep 28, 2013 10:07:47 AM

16. MATT27 are you so naieve that you are willing to give this pezza di merda another chance at your money? He already told you how he feels about homosexuals and now he is telling you how he has been told to feel about homosexual customers. Not the same as a sincere about -face.

Posted by: Jerry | Sep 28, 2013 10:21:57 AM

17. My Italian sausage will not go anywhere near his rigatoni.

Posted by: Rickseaside | Sep 28, 2013 10:23:58 AM

18. When I hear such regret of consequences masquerading as an apology, I'm reminded of Maya Angelou's wisdom: “The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”

No need to apologize Guido, I believed you before you thought you needed to apologize.

Posted by: Mitch | Sep 28, 2013 10:24:01 AM

19. "Through my entire life I have always respected every person I've met, including gays and their families, without any distinction."

Except for, you know, two days ago.

Posted by: Michael | Sep 28, 2013 10:31:22 AM

20. Probably would have had more respect for him if he just went with this version of an apology:

"I am a homophobic jackass. I'm trying to fix this. I'm sorry."

Posted by: Josh | Sep 28, 2013 10:33:09 AM

21. First of all, Capo Barilla; You didn't apologize for your statement. You hedged your bet with the typical Catholic "IF I offended anyone with my words..."

Which is NOT an apology, but an ambiguous declarative more disgusting that your original statement...and why you have to apologize again.
    So no, third apology, NOT ACCEPTED. We know who and what you are Capo Barilla; A man who loving sells Pasta to Fascists...and likes it.

So tell you what, Capo Barrila; We're just going to take your words at face value; That you Hate Gays, think yourself Superior to them, live in a dream world where you and all the little catholic bishops around you dance on the graves of the LGBT you have killed with your words and deeds...

...and We will simply buy another pasta.

Our intent and millions like me with our boycott?

To put BARILLA PASTA out of business and more importantly...

Put YOU on the street with no job.

Posted by: bear | Sep 28, 2013 10:40:31 AM

22. I am MUCH more offended that he's now insulting my intelligence than I was when he was merely insulting my sexuality. So now he's displaying a belief that gay people are stupid and naive and gullible. Girl, we grew up gay in a straight world of homophobes like you and we survived. We did that by leaving our naiveté on the schoolyard. Tell your story walking.

Posted by: patrick | Sep 28, 2013 10:44:10 AM

23. Remember that Barilla owns many other brands including Wasa (crackers) so make sure to let the other product companies know if you are not happy. That could have a very strong impact. www.wasa.com.

Posted by: Bill | Sep 28, 2013 10:55:35 AM

24. Guido! If you really want to learn about LGBT families and meet with LGBT leaders to learn, I will put put my mouth on your campanelle again
    again!

Posted by: Chazwm | Sep 28, 2013 11:06:52 AM

25. So he just changed his opinion in ~3 days? I find these public apologies insulting. He still feels the way he did, he just had powerful people breathing down his neck telling him he's going to cost them a lot of money so suck it up and kiss ass for a few minutes.

Then you can go back to finding the gays disgusting. Which is what he's doing now. He finds all of this ridiculous and probably hating the fact that he had to do the apology.

Posted by: daws | Sep 28, 2013 11:09:00 AM